To 2.5 VGT or 3.2...that is the question

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

To 2.5 VGT or 3.2...that is the question

Postby H-habilis on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:49 am

Howdy all. Been lurking on the forum a few days now but unable to resolve my dilemma. I retired to Thailand this year and am comparing easy to buy TD light SUV's for towing / launching a Waverunner from beaches mostly, and also general use. I'm probably looking at picking something up in the 2009-2013 MY range with some maintenance records and less than 120K km's. I'm interested in the Pajero Sport and find that the 3.2L sells for thousands less over here. I think the motor is considered dated, also my wife's nephew who works in sales at a Mitzy dealership thinks it is considerably thirstier. On this forum I find many positive things said about this motor, I like the timing chain arrangement, and it sure looks like its easier to remove soot from the intake, and nothing wrong with a few extra cc's in the sand--I come from a Toyota 3.0 D4D background. Any comments regarding long term reliability of either motor, particularly injectors/seats, valve clearance changes, blanking plate with a 6mm hole vs electronic measures. Anything about AT durability would be great too as I'll likely do an AT--wife shifting is not pretty. :roll: Please advise.
H-habilis

Re: To 2.5 VGT or 3.2...that is the question

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:09 am

I'm assuming from your post that both engines were available there and that everything else is equal, or at least comparable, such as condition, mileage, other vehicle features etc.

In the time honoured American tradition there is no substitute for cubic inches. This is true in the case of these two engines. While all small turbo diesels suffer from some degree of lag, the 4M41 offsets this with extra capacity and better low down torque while the 4D56 is, in a word, awful, especially when mated to an auto. So, the 3.2 wins for driveability off the mark. Power is then delivered more smoothly in the 4M41 albeit over a reduced rev range as the smaller engine is capable of higher rpm than its truck based cousin. Not really a factor, though, since gearboxes are designed with each engine's characteristics in mind, Suffice to say that the 3.2 offers a more relaxed and consistent driving experience.

The timing chain vs belt is a major advantage, as is not having the second belt driving the balance shafts. Lower maintenance costs and reliability give the 4M41 the win here, too.

In practice there is not a huge difference in the process of cleaning the intake manifolds of the two engines. Consider them equal in this respect. Once clean they can both be easily fitted with an electronic EGR defeat so the soot buildup does not recur and this route is much better than the blanking plate.

I'm not sure whether the 4D56 in Thailand suffers from the same overheating problem that has marred these engines here in Australia. If so, then I'd be steering well away from it. That said, if you get a good one, and maintain it properly, experience of members here is that they are capable of very long lives.

Fuel consumption of the two engines is not significantly different, with the smaller one having maybe a slight advantage. Consider them roughly equal on this aspect.

As for other engine components, like injectors and valves/seats, neither has any clear advantage.

Back in 2013, before the 4D56 overheating issue became apparent, I was faced with replacing my V6 Triton with the 4D56 or going back to the Pajero with a 4M41. I chose the Pajero and while it doesn't suit as well as a Triton, I'm glad I did.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby H-habilis on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:32 am

"I'm assuming from your post that both engines were available there and that everything else is equal, or at least comparable, such as condition, mileage, other vehicle features etc..."

Thanks for the in depth response, now I only need to focus on maintenance history, condition, and color selection. And yes, both engine options are available in same MY range and option packages. Of most interest is the "3.2 GT 4WD".

https://web.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ct_details
Last edited by H-habilis on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
H-habilis

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 am

That package (3.2 GT AWD) wasn't available here but sounds like it might be the Super Select transfer case. If so, that is the best choice, having 2WD and 4WD on road options, much better than what is called Easy Select here, which doesn't give the AWD option.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby H-habilis on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 am

Yes, appears to have Super Select from what little I know about the model options. The x-fer case selector handle has 2H, 4H, 4H Lc, and 4L Lc written on it.
H-habilis

Postby grox on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Super select is very much worth it. I have 2 ml tritons (3.2 engine) both got over 350k with minimal problems. The auto is agricultural 4 speed but suits me fine. Your choice and heaps argue about it but in my case I just used a resistor to prevent egr . I also use farm diesel which is filtered and make no short trips which I think helps its life. Never put any suspect diesel in it. An obd Bluetooth plus your choice of app (I use torque pro ) will quickly alert of any rising temps which can happen on sand or heavy use. Also benefits from electric cooling fan for air con which they conveniently left off Australian models . Mounts and wiring usually there or tap into engagement wire on aircon compressor. Motor has proved itself completely pisses on 4d56.
grox

Postby H-habilis on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 pm

grox wrote:Super select is very much worth it. I have 2 ml tritons (3.2 engine) both got over 350k with minimal problems. The auto is agricultural 4 speed but suits me fine. Your choice and heaps argue about it but in my case I just used a resistor to prevent egr . I also use farm diesel which is filtered and make no short trips which I think helps its life. Never put any suspect diesel in it. An obd Bluetooth plus your choice of app (I use torque pro ) will quickly alert of any rising temps which can happen on sand or heavy use. Also benefits from electric cooling fan for air con which they conveniently left off Australian models . Mounts and wiring usually there or tap into engagement wire on aircon compressor. Motor has proved itself completely pisses on 4d56.

Thanks for the tips grox. I found and purchased a well kept '09 Pajero Sport 3.2 GT 4wd (Challenger in Oz) with 172K kms about 2 month after discussions on this forum. I elected to get the last of the Euro 3 emissions motors to avoid a DPF, but gave up the 5-speed auto as a result. Now a happy camper, 17k kms and 2 oil changes and 1 fuel filter later. The only mod was installing a blanking plate with a 7mm hole near the exhaust manifold, I did this shortly after buying the vehicle. Everything has been fine until last month when I began getting some minor surging until the motor warms up and/or is restarted after warming up. I cleaned the MAF, and also made sure MAP pipes were clear, no effect. I also inspected the top of the intake manifold below the EGR valve and found it to be moderately coked up, so I'm shopping for a capable mechanic with, preferably, an ultrasonic cleaner to do the deed along with checking the valve clearances while things are apart. Quick question, I have the new more robust top timing chain tensioner, should I replace it as well regardless?
H-habilis

Return to Drive Train Components