Steering getting stiffer

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Steering getting stiffer

Postby Zantus on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Are there any known steering problems on the ML?

My 3.2DiD's steering has been getting a bit stiffer lately. I had the wheel alignment checked and checked the tyre pressures, but it still feels stiffer than it should be.

Before I take it to the agents, I'd like to find the problem myself.
Zantus

Re: Steering getting stiffer

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, the early models, '07/'08 had power steering pump problems. I had mine replaced early on.

Then there is the infamous "characteristic" where the power steering is reduced above 2000 rpm, which is a great idea if you want to go in a straight line. It's a bit like turning the tap down a bit because you want to save water, but still try and fill the same container... not sure what they were thinking.

My steering is actually quite a bit lighter since I went to a taller narrower tyre, so did you change to fatter tyres?
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Zantus on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:15 am

The change in powersteering had nothing to do with changing tyres, I changed those about 4 months ago.

It's exactly as you say, above 2000rpm, usually at speed the power steering is reduced. Mine was built in October 2008 here in South Africa, which means the pumps come from the same source as the Thailand plant. The vehicle has 22 000km on the clock.
Zantus

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:22 am

Hey Zantus, mine is sept '08 build and has the updated power steering pump, but it is a Thailand model so don't know if or when SA changed them over.

They still have the progressive power steering in the new pump, but by all accounts not as noticeable in the new one - unless you are taking evasive action, then the steering locks in your hand :evil: .
Have a go at driving in 1st gear with your engine revs at about 2500rpm and swerve your steering quickly from left to right and back.
I believe they had a hotfix for a replacement pump if it does the same thing at 1800rpm from memory. Worth checking out.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components