Super Select Centre Diff Lock/Front wheel engagement.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Super Select Centre Diff Lock/Front wheel engagement.

Postby Tritium on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:09 pm

I have a steep driveway and find with turbo lag that I have to drop into low range to pull my caravan up the driveway to prevent having to floor it in first.

In my old Rodeo I would put it in low range and leave the hubs out to perform the manouvre.

Without freewheeling hubs on the Triton this is a pain, as at the top I have to turn sharply before pulling up and returning to 2WD with a fair bit of resistance from the tyres as they bite in in 4WD on the bitumen.

Can I prevent the front wheels locking in when low range is selected or prevent the centre diff from locking by inserting an inhibit switch somewhere in the electricals? Has anybody already done this kind of mod?
Such is Life.
Tritium

Re: Super Select Centre Diff Lock/Front wheel engagement.

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:15 pm

yer i read only last week in some carvaning mag a fella does it with his crusier when reversing his van onto to a site
(nice and slow) you will have to grab a multi meter and test one of the plugs on the transfer case find which one has voltage when the centre diff is locked and then isolate, seems simple enough to do
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby snowman on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am

tritium,

well i cant help with the triton mate but i would do this in a heartbeat if we can work out how. for excatly the same reasons as you - low range reversing.

with the 100 series cruiser which is constant 4wd, they have a 'centre differential lock' button on the dash. this button manually locks the transfer case (.ie. front and rear axles together). However in standard trim in a cruiser by going into 'low range' this operation happens automatically. to achieve your request there is literally a cable plug to the gear box that is unplugged (10 second task) which then means this auto operation does not occur. so after unplugging you MUST manually lock in with the dash switch to lock axles together. (lets call it transer case lock - toyota call it differential lock but i reckon this is confusing with traditional diff locks - which it isn't) .

Problem with the Triton is we dont have that button to manually lock in. with the superselect we have three high range options including 2 wheel, 4 wheel 'open' (like a cruiser is normally) & 4 wheel locked. all achieved by the transfer case lever.

someone who has good electrical engineering skills and some wiring diagrams might be able to assist, assuming it is even possible as it all may happen inside the g'box as we dont have the switch installed externally from the factory.

i know this doesn't answer you question but it may help the cause...........
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 am

put a manually operated switch on the front diff actuater. Remove the front bash plates and there it is. Auto leccy should sort it out pretty quickly.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components