glr 2.5L tiriton 100kw power upgrade?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

glr 2.5L tiriton 100kw power upgrade?

Postby lmseely on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:52 pm

hi guys, the new glr 2X4 is going to be 100kw. is there a way i can get the 131kws out of it like the 4X4 models???
i dont want to spend thousands to get it but im new to the diesel scene. Im about to order my GLR.
Would it just be a computer upgrade or a different internal engine???
100 kilowatts is just sXXthouse!!!
Even the crap nissan has more then this..and i hate nissans!!!!
lmseely

Re: glr 2.5L tiriton 100kw power upgrade?

Postby Stu on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 pm

have a look at getting a chip and a boost controller. More fuel/more air, that's be the main difference although I don't know if the internals are different? sierra would probably know, he's the resident 2.5 guru
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby lmseely on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:59 pm

How do I get a hold of sierra?
lmseely

Postby daryn on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:09 pm

He will find you :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby jgoosen on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:36 pm

I almost sure the new 2.5 has variable vein turbo :?:
jgoosen

Postby sierra on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:49 pm

daryn wrote:He will find you :)

:D
Makes me feel like a stalker and as for being a 2.5 guru I still don't even know if it's got a belt or chain for the cams or hydraulic lifters?
The difference between the standard 2.5 and the HP version is mainly in the turbo with the HP having variable inlet vanes and higher boost along with lower compression to allow that boost. So basically it seems to be the same engine with a modified head and turbo plus a particulate filter in the exhaust.
In Europe, where the 2.5 is the only diesel, you could get an upgrade for about $500 that upped the power and torque to similar to the HP version. It must be a chip that increases the throttle range for that price and that was from Mitsubishi so they can't have any qualms about it handling a 25% boost in torque.
The new versions of the 2.5 and 3.2 wont be so easy to play with because the variable vane turbo is controlled by the computer, I think, with possibly no wastegate? and any alterations to fuel or exhaust could kiss goodbye to the turbo if there's any confusion in it's control. Having said that, the i30 1.6 diesel has apparently been modfied with brilliant results so it can be done.
Look forward to good fuel consumption and forget the kw, look at the Nm because in the real world it's 1200 - 2500rpm 99% of the time.
Remember that the 4x2 is lighter than the 4x4 so you need less power, even more pronounced when all the 4x4 gear is bolted on board!
You say you're new to diesels so best get aquainted with the new one before you make any plans, you might be pleasantly surprised that it's more than capable out of the box.
;) :) :D
sierra

Postby lmseely on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 am

thanks heaps for your help sierra, i cant wait to get mine. they are saying late oct. I will investigate more HP i think maybe after ive had it 6 month or more? Otherwise i might crack it a go big block chev :lol: . Bugger the fuel economy. Thanks
lmseely

Postby sierra on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am

Glad to help!
This engine is in the L200[Oz Triton] in Europe, just google 'L200 engine mods' and similar to find loads of info on power ups.
Are you getting a GLX?? Which model?
If it's a manual the power train should stand an engine transplant one day and plenty of room for a 'small' block chev on LPG. That might be a sweet match?
:| :) :D :D
sierra

Postby lmseely on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 pm

its a GLR (replaces VR) manual. gunmetal grey. Spoke to my local dealer today and he suggested a chip to boost the power. He said around $1250. brand was something like MTR or something? I will get details off him. :)
lmseely

Postby daryn on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 pm

The dealer suggested a chip, wow, that aint normal :0
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 pm

lmseely wrote:its a GLR (replaces VR) manual. gunmetal grey. Spoke to my local dealer today and he suggested a chip to boost the power. He said around $1250. brand was something like MTR or something? I will get details off him. :)

MRT EcuTek.
Plenty of info to be found in here if you search and it has to be better than the fuel chips. All depends how much you value the Mitsubishi warranty[if they ever found it of course?] Might be best not to talk to mits about it in case they flag your registration for warranty claims?
;) :( :roll: :| :) :D
sierra

Postby Homer on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:31 am

lmseely wrote:its a GLR (replaces VR) manual. gunmetal grey. Spoke to my local dealer today and he suggested a chip to boost the power. He said around $1250. brand was something like MTR or something? I will get details off him. :)

Might be an idea to ask if he can source and fit it for you?
Long shot, but it might be worth the extra couple of hundred to have a Mits installed mod for wty?

At least you will get his reaction about wty.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby CCM on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:57 pm

MTR = MRT :)

Most dealers have info on the MRT range of upgrades and the only reason they like them is the factory warranty garuantee that goes with MRT mods... That is no loss of warranty for the life of the factory warranty, including the Mits 5/10 year deal.

Boost will be under our control too Sierra,through the factory ECU once upgraded with ECUTEK- If it's controlled by the ECU I've got a map to adjust it! :D HAvne't plugged into one just yet bu tthe word from the UK is it will be a no brainer as they've already had the HO 2.5L there in many variations...

Kind Regards
Chris
Last edited by CCM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby sierra on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks for that Chris.
Just had a good read of your warranty details. As I read it, if Mitsubishi were aware of the upgrade when I made a powertrain claim and declined because in their opinion the failure was caused by the power increase, you would step in and cover the warranty as long as servicing was by the book?
If that's the case and someone in Perth is as competent as your team over there[of course they are!] all I need to know is how much. If you've told me this before I don't remember but the memory is less than pristine these days.
Perhaps you could pm me the price? I had trouble trying to get in touch on the MRT site before.
:) :) :D
Last edited by sierra on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sierra

Postby CCM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 am

Hi Sierra

Yep - Bang on. To put in short and concisely - No loss of warranty as a result of fitting MRT Upgrades...

PM about to be sent mate - thanks

Kind Regards
Chris
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 am

Woops wrong thread :oops:
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:34 am

Dylan 191 wrote:Woops wrong thread :oops:

Or was it a freudian slip showing you are hanging out for one of those HP 2.5's? ;) :D

Cheaper and more powerful to get the MRT upgrade[when it comes to Perth] and you don't have to have a big bum too!
8-)
sierra

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:37 pm

CCM wrote:Yep - Bang on. To put in short and concisely - No loss of warranty as a result of fitting MRT Upgrades..

Good warranty and easy to understand too Chris.

The 3.2 went from 343Nm to 439Nm and 118kw to 136kw, that's + 28% and +15%
Do you have any figures from Europe for what we should expect from the 2.5?
Would the fact that it's already punching above it's capacity compared to the 3.2 mean the upside will be less?
If the ECU craps itself in the future and is replaced, do we get free replacement software, a service fee to reinstall the software or the full price again?
Would the engine be noisier, the same or quieter?
Are there any obvious restrictions that should be addressed beforehand? Eg is the rear muffler restrictive?
:? :)
sierra

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Chris,

We now know from one of your posts that the rear muffler is restrictive to the tune of 2 - 2.5psi.
Apart from the other questions in the previous post could you please throw some light on the throttle valve for the diesels and it's value when the EGR valve is blocked or dissabled in the closed position?
I tried your MRT forum with the last question but no response after 10 days, I might have posted in the wrong spot?
sierra

Postby CCM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:53 am

sierra wrote:Chris,

We now know from one of your posts that the rear muffler is restrictive to the tune of 2 - 2.5psi.
Apart from the other questions in the previous post could you please throw some light on the throttle valve for the diesels and it's value when the EGR valve is blocked or dissabled in the closed position?
I tried your MRT forum with the last question but no response after 10 days, I might have posted in the wrong spot?

Hi Sierra

Sorry for the delay - I've had limited time ot get on here...

Feedback from the Uk says there are gains to be had in the 2.5L but as you've suggested I fear they may be a little less than what we've achieved with the 3.2.

In theory if an ECU fails you'd be on your own and the license fee would need to be payed again - I have to say though I have never (ever) seen an ECU fail once upgraded. It is rare enough in factory form for an ECU to fail and even less so an ECUTEK upgraded unit.

As for the EGR blanking I would recomend removing the blanking plate. We close it for 98% of the time with the mapping chnges and as we have control over it - There are no fault codes or related issues to cause you any limp modes - Which appears even more severe and oimportant in the case of your average 4WD cause if you're loaded up, its the last place and time you'd want to be without most of your grunt.

I hope this helps - If have foudnd my own 3.2L to be quiter in most situations however slightly louder at peak torque - HOWEVER this is more than masked by 'normal' road speed. Sapient has also commented seperately he has noted less smoke and noise from his upgrade too as an indication.

Kind Regards
Chris
CCM

Postby sierra on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks Chris.
The info on the throttle valve seems doomed so I'll give up on that one.
:roll: :)
sierra

Return to Drive Train Components