carbon build up clean?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

carbon build up clean?

Postby brenze87 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 pm

hey guys done almost 40,000k's on the ute now. i'm going to get a egr blocking plate to reduce the carbon build up. just wondering tough has anyone had any success in cleaning the manifold manually or using some kind of additive. any pics and detailed instructions on how to manually clean it would be great :)

thanks again for your help guys.
brenze87

Re: carbon build up clean?

Postby mad992 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:42 pm

give hicko a pm he is your man
mad992

Postby snowman on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 pm

this is mid thread...but at the page where hicko did the inlet strip down with photos.....

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2477&hilit=%2Acarbon%2A&start=75
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:23 am

For in/on car cleaning some people were talking a Wynns product and others a Subaru product but not sure I heard how the results went.....maybe boostedbmw did it and posted from memory????

That option has gotta be better than what Hicko had to do!

I have the chemicals and tanks to do it all (Bris Southside) if that helps, but it takes off paint too and is a fair bit of work removing and replacing etc on the car when there may be an on car option?
Last edited by Homer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:58 am

can we get it done at the dealer or do they only do that when the motor starts to shit itself?
85HiluxSR5

Postby snowman on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 am

in my experience they wont do anything under warranty unless it is an apparent problem........

they would do the work for you (as any mechanic would) if you pay them for it though.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 am

Ardrox is used in the aircraft industry for cleaning various parts.
This seems to list all their brews so if someone wants to clean their manifold properly they can select the one they need.
We had heated tanks with air agitation and simply rinsed the parts under water after the allotted time. A heavy duty plastic bucket with the manifold hanging off a wire would to the trick and a rinse bucket to dunk it in to see how much is left.
Give it a shake in the brew every so often and it will end up like new.

http://www.surechem.com.au/images/Aircr ... enance.pdf

;) :)

Satan's brew would seem a likely choice as it doesn't require heating?
sierra

Postby brenze87 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:03 pm

judging by what hicko's manifold looked like i dont think any additive would remove all that carbon and oil buildup from the manifold. i think the only way to go would be to remove the whole manifold and clean it physically then make sure you have the egr blank plate. homer seeing you have the equipment and knowledge on how to clean these maybe we should get together one weekend and pull both of ours apart and clean them up. who knows could be like a newtriton club manifold clean meeting, get all the brizzy boys together.
brenze87

Postby Homer on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:19 am

:lol: No worries brenze I'll come down, but I've got a V6 - no carbon there.

I do have a 500 litre tank of decarbonizer and paint stripper which should clean them up to pretty much brand new in 20 minutes or less (with no hand cleaning) so if you're keen, I have no probs helping. Any paint will go too though.

I wasn't thinking additives, it was an aerosol product that you would spray into the inlet while it was running and blow the carbon out the exhaust - but haven't heard how well they work either.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components