CV on it's way out

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

CV on it's way out

Postby Zantus on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:48 pm

My 3.2Did Trtion clubcab wil be getting a new front right hand drive shaft in the new year.

It started with a slight knocking noise I noticed not long after I got it in January. It only made the noise at full lock to the right on one specific spot on a trail nearby.

A few months later I noticed the noise when I made a sharp u-turn on grass. I then asked the dealer to check it out at the 30000km service. When I got it back I was told it's a stone behind the dust cover :evil:

Another 8000km later and I took it back, because it is slowly getting worse. After 2 days I had to go and drive the vehicle myself because they couldn't find the problem. A day after that they confirmed that it was indeed the CV joint.

They had no shafts in stock, since it's the first ML in South Africa to have this problem. Got my vehicle back from them until the new part arrived. The new part came in, but I don't want to be without my 4x4 over Christmas, so I'll only take it for the fitment on the 4th.

I bought the vehicle as a demo model and I think it might have been damaged before I got it. I take a lot of care not to torture my drivetrain and don't know of anything I did that would have caused the damage.

Out of the 10 4x4's I've owned, I only ever broke drivetrain components on my discovery, but that has a drivetrain made of butter.
Zantus

Re: CV on it's way out

Postby sierra on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:09 pm

The golden rule when testing a CV[outer] is to load it up on a full lock with the brake.
I've tested and diagnosed hundreds. It's when it's on the outside it really complains. With difficult cases one of us would have to run next to it and listen or at least stand close as it came around again.

Chances are the boot got ripped and replaced but after some damage was done. Compare that one with the other side.
Is the boot the same, clamps original?
Make sure they've fitted a new genuine shaft that will look exactly like the other side. Boots, clamps, colour of the paint on the shaft and CV bodies. You don't want one that's been ground out with oversize balls.
;)
sierra

Postby Zantus on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:25 pm

I had the machanic walk next to the wheel to hear it clearly.

A friend of mine took his MK Triton for a service yesterday and they showed him the brand new genuine part, but I will be checking it as well.
Zantus

Postby slimv6 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 pm

Zantus!

what kinda mileage you got on your van??

s.
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby Zantus on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:32 am

The CV was replaced today under warranty without any queries by my dealer in Port Elizabeth.

I also had the 40K service done today, so that answers your question Slim ;)
Zantus

Return to Drive Train Components