Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:04 pm

here's a couple of my install. $50 from eBay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm

and another
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby Steane on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:20 pm

aframe1967 wrote:Steane,

Do you have any photos of your Provent and where you mouonted it?

Cheers
Alex

Here you go Alex.

Click to view larger picture

There is an L shaped bracket behind the Provent (two L shaped brackets from Bunnings sandwiched together). Clear hose running out the bottom is the drain, and there is a tap on the end of it that I can access under the wheel arch, near the chassis rail. Just turn the tap and drain the oil every so often.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:42 pm

the trity bit me!!

Just put the grill back in after checking the output side of the intercooler and slipped between the blades - Bl*&*^dy sharp!

But back on subject - fair bit of oil in the pipe (45k on the clock) and heaps of oil sitting at the core openings - so catch can definitely next on the list. The coating of oil must have an insulating effect on the heat transfer ability of the cooler.

I'm a bit concerned looking at the various catch cans regarding the size of the pipe connections - seem much smaller than the normal engine vent piping.

Has anyone noticed more oil weeps around dip sticks, etc, due to gas flow restriction?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spooler on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:47 pm

I just installed a chip it plastic can (can actually open then as opposed to the metal ones!) and I have to ask..... for all those out there worrying about pressure build ups from the smaller diametre pipework..... do you think your car is an air compressor??? I mean come on..... the only way it would be a problem is if there was a blockage and I don't see that happening with my setup. I bought clear oil resistant hose from repco to help with visual checks but I don't think it's needed.
I actually drove to repco without the hose connected at all since the hose supplied by chip it wasn't long enough to effectively mount is and there whilst it was of I couldn't feel any positive gas flow so I recon you'll be fine. If not, just attach a snap connection and use it to inflate your tires :lol:
spooler

Postby Tony on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 pm

RHKTriton wrote:the trity bit me!!

Just put the grill back in after checking the output side of the intercooler and slipped between the blades - Bl*&*^dy sharp!

But back on subject - fair bit of oil in the pipe (45k on the clock) and heaps of oil sitting at the core openings - so catch can definitely next on the list. The coating of oil must have an insulating effect on the heat transfer ability of the cooler.

I'm a bit concerned looking at the various catch cans regarding the size of the pipe connections - seem much smaller than the normal engine vent piping.

Has anyone noticed more oil weeps around dip sticks, etc, due to gas flow restriction?

When I put one on my old 4D56T MJ it used to pop the dip stick at times. I'm a little concerned about the restriction side of things. Fair few are running them here now so all must be well.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

My catch has been in for about 6 months now and thought it's about time to check how much has been caught. Below is a shot glass almost full. I did lose a bit getting the glass under whilst undoing the drain plug. Glad all that oil is not going back into my engine.
Click to view larger picture

Quick plug for Naff and Joe1234DadJoe, stubbie cooler are great thanks mate as are the stickers.
Cheers
Brett

A quick thank you to my sponsors:
Bundaberg Rum
Mitsubishi
Penrite Oils
:lol: :lol:
Brett05

Postby Geell-Exar on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:44 pm

What about a thanks to your son for scraping you off the lounge-room floor to take the photo, being the 1 stubbie screamer 'n' all :lol:
Geell-Exar

Oil Catch Can working

Postby fridgie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Geell-Exar wrote:What about a thanks to your son for scraping you off the lounge-room floor to take the photo, being the 1 stubbie screamer 'n' all :lol:

Now now..... Don't you have a trip computer to go and reset?? :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby mad992 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm

holy crap brett thats horrible black crap
in the shot glass mate dont skull it :lol:
mad992

Postby Naff on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Probably tastes better than Oozo..

Hey Brett, when are you installing my catch can?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 pm

That's why he's got the beer chaser!!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 pm

brett should tip the oil in the bundy can and skull i say :lol:

go on
skull
skull
skull :!:
mad992

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:29 pm

come on guys, what a waste of bundy that would be. Must admit, it does look like my oozo chaser. Wouldn't want to be tipping back that black shit.

Naff, they're very easy and simple to install
Brett05

Postby quigley595 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:31 pm

What sort of filter medium have you guys stuffed inside your catch Cans?

I have one with no baffles, and was thinking of using steel wool... but then, it can come apart easily.
Sure dont want a bit of that going through the turbo and all the way to the inlet manifold!
:shock: :shock:
quigley595

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:32 pm

I just got those paks of stainless steel wool from, of all places Woolworths...think you get about 5 balls of stainless steel per pak.
Brett05

Postby quigley595 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Brett05 wrote:I just got those paks of stainless steel wool from, of all places Woolworths...think you get about 5 balls of stainless steel per pak.

Yep, I had thought of exactly that myself, but then I noticed around the house that little bits of it can break off easily. Dont want that stuff in the engine.

Having said that though, it it's just stuffed in there from new, maybe it wouldn't break apart?

Did you stuff your can tight with the steel wool, or just throw one or 2 balls in?

regs
Mike
quigley595

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:57 pm

For memory, about 16 went in. I installed mine about six months ago. I bought two cans, because guy from work was going to do his. He decided not to do it (very lazy)...so I fitted it to my sons last Friday, but he put the stainless balls in the can. You need to fill the can with the wool balls, so it catches the oil droplets in the fumes/vapors.
Brett
Brett05

Postby mad992 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:07 pm

i extended the inlet tube to the bottom of the can with some copper tube then i fitted loosely about 6 stainless steel balls pulled apart all fluffy ,so the vapour has to work its way to the top 8-)
mad992

Postby ag9111 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:17 pm

If youve put the pipe all the way to the bottom then it will get back pressure when the can begins to fill higher than the lowest pipe level. IMHO better to go only half way down
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:35 pm

ag9111 wrote:If youve put the pipe all the way to the bottom then it will get back pressure when the can begins to fill higher than the lowest pipe level. IMHO better to go only half way down

mmmmmmmmmm might have to look at that :| tnkx ag
mad992

Postby spooler on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:42 am

Well, finally got my provent 200 today and installed it. Never again..... bloody 4 hours, 2 lamps, bit's of skin and lots of swearing later its done :evil: At least I have the 3.2 so had the room! I used a steel plate as a mounting bracket and it worked well. Had to go to Bunnings twice for bolts and clips etc.

The worst part was getting the oil resistant piping!!! Repco, supercheap, Autopro, Coventry's...... no one had any in a large enough size! I ended up at Enzed and, lucky for me, it was 5.05pm and they were trying to close :lol: They priced some hose at $88 a metre :o but in the end I settled on some RPD 1 Petroleum Delivery hose which was supposed to be around $50 a metre but they couldn't find the code so let me have it for $10 a metre! Ha ha!! That was 1 inch internal diameter hose as well 8-)

The metre odd oil proof hose for the drain was $28 a metre though :? Then add $17 for a ball valve tap and $22 for a threaded pipe joiner and I was set.

I have photo's but my stupid photobucket isn't uploading :-(

Should be able to see them if you follow this link though :-)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 6e9c58b23e

I am pretty happy with the install in the end and it looks pretty snazzy! I thought the hose was going to look over the top.... I actually had to get reducers to go into the engine! Ha ha! But when started up, just pop the top of the provent and you can sure feel the airflow so should be nice and dry now :-)
spooler

Postby sim_r32 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:50 pm

gee you got ripped for all your pipes and tap!
sim_r32

Postby spooler on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, actually I didn't. If you read it then you'd realise I paid $10 a metre for 25mm hose that will last the life of the car. The drain pipe I was tempted to not get and go with a cheaper option but thought why bother when I paid bugger all and the blokes looked after me!
Take into account that I didn't use reducers and pissy little pipe here!
spooler

Oil Catch Can working

Postby sim_r32 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Why would you need reducers ?
I just got a tap from bunnings cost 2 bucks lol.
Provents deff the way to go works heaps better then the old can I had and it's so simple to empty!
sim_r32

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components