Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby mjwilmo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Received my ChipIt catch can today - still waiting for my Triton. Wondering how you get the cap off (to clean/ change filter) the can (metal version). Is it just a case of brut force twist or do i need to remove the inlet and outlet pipes first.
mjwilmo

Postby renperc on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Fitted my Chipit Oil Catch Can to the MN today, only problem I had was trying to check the filter. Impossible to unscrew, so Chipit are sending up a new one that has been unscrewed. Below are some photo's of the bracket that I made to mount it, simple but works. $4 aluminium bar from hardware store bent and drilled to suit.

Click to view larger picture

First pants then shoes. Life is that simple!
renperc

Postby Kegsy on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:27 pm

I too can't get the filter unscrewed from the housing.

Im waiting till I need to change it before I get the tools out to break the filter free.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:09 pm

renperc thats one serious bracket dude :)
mad992

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 pm

nice bracket renperc... i too cannot work out how to open the can. Do you just twist the top, hose in/outlet and all?
mjwilmo

Postby renperc on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 pm

I believe it's just an o-ring sealed face, same as an oil filter. The problem is with o-ring seals if they are over tightened they are almost impossible to undo.
renperc

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:41 pm

renperc wrote:I believe it's just an o-ring sealed face, same as an oil filter. The problem is with o-ring seals if they are over tightened they are almost impossible to undo.

yep, its a mofo.. no luck yet. I've decided just to use it. Hopefully the heat etc might loosen it up for when its time to replace the filter.

While we're on the subject - after how many kms should I replace it?
mjwilmo

Postby daryn on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Had no idea that ChipIt had a catch can, should we start a thread in their area on this product and then we can get the guys involved with support via forum in that area.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby renperc on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:56 pm

mjwilmo wrote:
renperc wrote:I believe it's just an o-ring sealed face, same as an oil filter. The problem is with o-ring seals if they are over tightened they are almost impossible to undo.

yep, its a mofo.. no luck yet. I've decided just to use it. Hopefully the heat etc might loosen it up for when its time to replace the filter.

While we're on the subject - after how many kms should I replace it?

I would just check at each service and wash it out if the element is a metal or washable paper type. No sure on the element as I can't open.
renperc

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm sure I read a post by one of the chip-it guys in here somewhere where they answered how often to change the filter and what sort of filter it was.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Figures, it's actually in this same thread but much earlier. Took me a while to find it though :oops:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4708&hilit=FILTER&start=50#p86922

Cowboy Dave

Postby mjwilmo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Figures, it's actually in this same thread but much earlier. Took me a while to find it though :oops:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4708&hilit=FILTER&start=50#p86922

oh man, i am a dumbass... tks Cowboy, again. :oops: :oops: :oops:
mjwilmo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Nah that one you can get away with on account of Daryn not having noticed that the Chip-it boys were even selling them. :lol:

Again it's a memory thing, I have this unfortunate affliction of being able to remember obscure and mostly useless things. It's an affliction because I struggle with things like names and birthdays and what day it is... :oops: but it helps around here.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Can I please ask a n00b question. Why do we need a catch can? I've may have already blanked of the EGR (disclaimer - I may not have too :D ), so where will the crank case oil end up and will it cause a problem?
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Oil Catch Can working

Postby gregned on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:56 pm

So the oil doesn't end up in the oil reservoir ops I mean intercooler
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby spooler on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Hey fella's, been reading this thread with lots of interest and since my manifolds and SCV are being replaced tomorrow I wan't to install one of these ASAP. Bit confused though...... I found this can

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... pc#details

at auto1 but had no packaging (in the display shelf) so the lady said I could have it for $50. The only prob I could see was no way to fill it with scourer pads to help separate the oil :roll:
Are the chipit ones a better proposition? Has anyone seen any problems with pressure build up etc from the smaller pipes? Or are they the same size? I have no idea whether their filtered ones would be better. Was going to ring around tomorrow and see if anyone (diesel mechanics maybe) sell units that aren't as 'rice burner' bling as the one I found but any suggestions on where to start would be handy!
spooler

Postby gregned on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 pm

you need filtered ones so there is something to pull the mist out of suspension, in the empty can the velocity of the gas would slow down enough to drop the bigger droplets out but the finer ones would still be in suspension. I'm putting a chip it can in but am looking at putting a relief valve upstream in case of blockage.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby spooler on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 pm

Yeah thats the only problem with the chip it ones I can see but unless there is a blockage it should be sweet right? Is a relief valve difficult to source? I like the look of the Racor CCV4500 and the provent but they are pretty bloody expensive! I'll see if Justin has any in stock I think.
spooler

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:15 am

This is the item number for the one i got on eBay 250686221224 (copy and paste in eBay) $50 delivered and used part of the existing pipe work. Bought a few joiners and clamps. Sprayed it black so it looks like a factory job. Filled it with stainless scourer pads (balls). There is some photos in one of the post showing it fitted up. I'll see if I can find them and drop them in here for you
Cheers
Brett
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby aframe1967 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:46 am

What diameter is the standard connecting hose so as to get the correct diameter fittings without having to put in hose connectors?

I saw this advertised in Overlander and they look alright and have similar size hose diameters as the factory hoses. The filter has a 50,000km life.

aframe1967

Postby snowman on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 am

just got told by my local dealer that they are working on a 'Mitsubishi Approved' version of a catch can.

problem is they dont want them too big but they must be big enough not to block between 15,000 klm services.

he also told me that the EGR blanking plate needs to be removed for the 30,000 klm service with tappet adjustment as if it is spotted they have to log it - whether they agree with it or not and that could prevent engine warranties in the future.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 am

aframe1967 wrote:What diameter is the standard connecting hose so as to get the correct diameter fittings without having to put in hose connectors?

I saw this advertised in Overlander and they look alright and have similar size hose diameters as the factory hoses. The filter has a 50,000km life.

That's the Provent. I used 16mm hose on mine, hooked straight up to the factory PCV and inlet connections and the Provent connections without needing to step it down at all or use any connectors.

Used this hose;

http://www.aapsa.com.au/awshop/index.ph ... cede86898d
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:28 am

Can you use a catch can with a breather? Will this cause any problems? I have seen a nice polished alloy one on ebay with a Breather on top for $50 delivered. Any thoughts?

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Brett05 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm

reeldreamer wrote:Can you use a catch can with a breather? Will this cause any problems? I have seen a nice polished alloy one on ebay with a Breather on top for $50 delivered. Any thoughts?

Mitch

Was wondering the same when I installed mine. Couple of guys have them venting to atmosphere and blocked off the inlet side between the air box and turbo. I do recall one of our tribal elders saying that venting it was not good for the engine....can't remember who it was
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby aframe1967 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Steane,

Do you have any photos of your Provent and where you mouonted it?

Cheers
Alex
aframe1967

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components