Pinging noise

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Pinging noise

Postby liamb on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi All

I have a 09 GLXR 3.2 DID. At light throttle when cruizing at 60 or 80 there is a very similar noise to a peterol engine pinging or detonating. It is very pronounced and easy to hear. Went the right foot is pushed down the noise goes and the engine noise is much quieter. I have driven a Hilux and a Navara and not heard this noise. this has been there from new but is worse when cold. I have a chipit ecu but that has not made any differance. Any Ideas??????

Bill
liamb

Re: Pinging noise

Postby sierra on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:03 pm

What fuel do you use Bill?
Some are right on the minimum 45 cetane level. BP is supposed to be 50 standard with BP Ultimate being higher again.
Try grabbing 1L of Valvoline 2 stroke racing oil from Super Cheap.
$9.95 in WA, should be min $15.50[price stuff up] got 6 of them today.
Put 400ml in at the pump and top her right up, then 50ml per 10L[1-200 mix]
This is high spec Jaso FC oil.

Worth a try, it certainly makes them quieter and I never miss adding it now, especially with the chip.
sierra

Postby liamb on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:19 pm

I add about 30-40 ml of repsol mineral 2 stroke oil every fill up. I use shell Castrol BP and elcheapo fuels all with the same noise

Bill
liamb

Postby sierra on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Bugger! :lol:
How about doing the ECU reset, just in case?
:?
sierra

Postby liamb on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:20 pm

been there got that t-shirt did it when I connected the chipit
liamb

Postby snowman on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:53 pm

liamb

mine is exactly the same. light throttle only.

mine has gotten worse as it wasn't like that in the beginning.

i was hoping that it was 'detuning' itselt due to the EGR blank and 'limp' modes and was hoping an ECU reset might help. sounds like it wont.

i have had the EGR plate since about 8k. now at 22.5k.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby liamb on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I have had the blanking plate in for about 600km with no change to the noise

Bill
liamb

Postby gregned on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:53 am

I have a 2.5 with the same noise I use oil and shell fuel I run a Chip It module but the noise was there before maybe our resident diesel expert (Justin) can shed some light on the noise.No egr plate installed yet though.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby DPS TRITON on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Gee gregned , thanks for the compliment , but I never claim to be a expert , isnt that a drip under pressure anyway lol. Yes I have noticed it on mine also , to be honest I will have to keep a ear out again as since using BP ultimate again I havnt noticed it this week, mmmmm I will look into it , there maybe too much advance at light throttle / cruise from the factory , often there is more timing added inn these areas to give best fuel economy, but if the fuel quality & air intake temps can influence these things too are poor they can be more prone to ping. I will ask some other people in the trade also , As you all know as soon as it is loaded up more the ping stops, besides turning the stereo up I will see if there is a way to reduce this . I also add the 2 stroke oil after meeting with Sierra :D . As I mentioned I havnt noticed it since using BP ultimate again over the last week , anyone else notice this ???

Cheers Justin
DPS TRITON

Postby variflex on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:16 pm

My triton has also had this noise since new,

I was away last weekend camping in Mudgee and the only deisel available was caltex premium diesel, this fuel took the noise away and the vehicle was beutiful to drive, I have now refilled the tank from my regular servo (Caltex) with the standard deisel and the pinging sensation is back.

Bottom Line, i believe this is fuel related and would confidentally call it pinging, I now need to find a supplier for the premium diesel close to home.

I plan on picking up a DPS chip off Justin Shortly and hope this helps with the pinging ussue at light throttle,

Hopefully Justin can advise if the chip will assist here.
Regards,
Darren,
variflex

Postby liamb on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I have a Caltex just down the road that sells Vortex Diesel so I filled up this arvo to give it a go. I am towing a boat up to Renmark tomorrow so I will see how it goes. Today on the Freeway though I noticed that when cruising at 100-110 and using gentle accelaration to clim a hill or overtake the pining changed to a real heavy knocking sound from the top of the motor, but it goes under harder accelaration????

Bill
liamb

Postby borngeek on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am

i def notice louder rattle (ping) at idle/low revs when i have a tank of stock fuel.. i do a lot of sydney city driving so yeah my stereo is up mostly :roll:

i have found a vortex diesel in sydney (opp randwick racecourse) but yet to find a BP ultimate in sydney...
This vortex fuel makes it quieter no doubt about it!

I cannot for the life of me find a BPU supplier in Sydney.. Never even had the chance to try it :evil:

BP hasn't announced BPU is back again they say May on website.. http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle ... Id=7036915

Intersting forum discussion on benifits of their product here for those interested..
http://www.bpfuelexperts.com.au/i/trans ... script.pdf
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Trilo on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 pm

borngeek wrote:i def notice louder rattle (ping) at idle/low revs when i have a tank of stock fuel.. i do a lot of sydney city driving so yeah my stereo is up mostly

i have found a vortex diesel in sydney (opp randwick racecourse) but yet to find a BP ultimate in sydney...
This vortex fuel makes it quieter no doubt about it!

Hey borngeek is that the Caltex on Anzac pde with the car wash near the Uni?
Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Trilo

Postby borngeek on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:26 am

Trilo wrote:Hey borngeek is that the Caltex on Anzac pde with the car wash near the Uni?

EDIT:

sorry NO.. its the one on Alison Road near centenial park.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... ralia&z=17
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components