Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:59 pm

You are [censored] kidden' me :roll:

Tyre pressures were all over the place and they were talking about comparing stuff?

Jeeeezuusss

Right...I'm off to the rant thread...

I'd be interested in the diff lock buy D.
I'd just like to suss out the CV thing a bit first if they are as weak as people have said.
I also spoke to ARB today and they throw in quite a lot of variables with fitting...bearing and component wear/replacement etc....shouldn't be too much issue with cars without too many K's though I would think?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby trouble on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:53 am

daryn wrote:I have been having discussions today with my mate who can help out with bulk buys, is there enough consensus in me starting a discussion in buying ARB lockers or not or do you all think it is a waste of time or would prefer to do your own thing ?

Yep Im in, I have permission from the minister of war and finance to get locker(s)!!!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby Diddy on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Just spoke to Mitsubishi spares you cant buy the genuine diff lock setup at all not even in the paj I didnt believe him so I called another dealer same answer no he said after market is the only option

So I don't know how u would go for parts replacement under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby sam on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

I got a factory locker from mmal ;) :) :D albeit still a bit noisy but slightly better than the LSD . :roll:
sam

Postby al coholic on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm

sam wrote:I got a factory locker from mmal ;) :) :D albeit still a bit noisy but slightly better than the LSD . :roll:

I dont think we all want to go thru what you have just to get a locker Sam ..............................................although??? :idea:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Diddy on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:40 pm

got prices today for the peolpe interested fully installed rear locker with the air compressor that allows u to use it for airing up tyres aswell as lockers. the best price was $2100 ARB newcastle :o :o :o :o :o
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Tony on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:54 pm

:o Think I will put up with my limitations for a wile.
Have any of you tried shimming up the LSD? (Tightening) also pulling the handbrake on wile under power will pull the clutches in even more. :twisted: I had my old MJ set up like this and would climb quite well with wheels lifted.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:20 pm

wow this site moves fast....

anyway still undecided front or back... front would be best to upgrade cv's at same time so even more exxy...

aftermarket rear sounds like a lot more fun on road in 2wd! (yeah hoon speak)

most used would be a rear locker in 4wd sitch? am I right?? does the front have a distinct advantage and where?

i am keen D! :mrgreen:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I believe, and this is another hot topic, that a rear locker is more useful. Bring it on. 8-)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm

ag9111 wrote:I believe, and this is another hot topic, that a rear locker is more useful. Bring it on. 8-)

Correct you are ag. :twisted:

Diddy what was the price for a front locker and standard locker compressor (not tyre model)?

No way i would pay ARB to install............. not a fan of being bent over and rammed ;)
Last edited by jop on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jop

Postby sam on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:49 pm

As said before after being out in my mates Hi Lux last Sunday with a front locker I have no doubts about how effective a locker in the front is so go front and rear if you can afford it and maybe a bit better price on a group
buy . ;)
sam

Postby jop on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 pm

jop

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:24 pm

I'll bite :twisted:

I...and I hazard a guess anybody else, is yet to see a rear locked car outperform a front locked car on an IFS vehicle, particularly with a quality LSD in it.
They are both very good options. I am concerned about CV's and that is a BIG downside...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:37 pm

:lol:
jop

Postby trouble on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:43 pm

got a price about a year agp for a front locker $1700 not sure if it was installed ??????I have the compresser already but it was $500 fitted.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:59 pm

jop wrote: :lol:

:lol: I'm glad I didn't post for no reason :D

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:53 am

Homer wrote:I'll bite :twisted:

I...and I hazard a guess anybody else, is yet to see a rear locked car outperform a front locked car on an IFS vehicle, particularly with a quality LSD in it.
They are both very good options. I am concerned about CV's and that is a BIG downside...

Yeah but your the same bloke that reckoned he had the good oil on the tracton control over difflocks.... :o :o so you only get half a vote. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am more than happy to test this theory with a front locked car. i can assure you if i had both i would always try the obstacle first with rear only. if i had two i wouldn't want to try the front only. So we probably need to find someone with a front locker only for the test. Waveriders is locked front and back from memory - dont know of any others.

The front locker not only provides CV issues it can also cause overturning of the car if you run a wheel up a bank and far more difficult to steer. i also would say from last weekend that our LSD is not particularly good, but you can't blame it when one wheel is in the air - that is how they are supposed to work. The partial handbrake was limited in difference as well. Although Scott said use the foor brake.....might be worth trying for you LSD guys. Although that becomes a suedo traction control and you are then using three pedals (in manuals) which can be even more tricky.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 am

The LSD's in Mitsy's used to be very good especially in the Paj but I found the one in the new ML next
to useless as I could get inside wheel spinning quite a bit more than it should have been able to when
doing a U turn or similar.
So like alot of things it seems they're not what they used to be........... :?
sam

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 am

Much of this has already been said before but bottom line is that the standard Triton with LSD rear and open front diff is a very capable vehicle in most situations. Add TC and it's even better. Add RDL and it's nearly unstoppable, especially with Super Select. Add a front locker and I'd put it up against almost anything else out there.

The concerns about breaking front CV's with a front locker really are only a worry if you're pushing too hard. With diff locks you just don't have to go hard - crawl through and it's a breeze.

It all depends on the type of driving you'll be doing and technique. Even with just LSD rear I've never really had a problem and when balancing on two wheels a touch of handbrake turns the LSD into a locker (of sorts) anyway. From my perspective, adding a front locker would make it near perfect and this is still my longer term plan.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Homer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 am

:lol: :lol: If you gooses..yes gooses... had a friggen' clue and tested the TC properly with deflated tyres etc I'd believe you.

Seriously I disregarded the entire thread when I found out that little pearler....and the rest of the dribble...yeah he went great at 8psi but so and so couldn't get up there..oh tyres...nah didn't think about them :roll: there were a few others cringing and going :roll: too I bet....so cop that ya belters!
So called experienced 4wd'ers meh....

Disclaimer: My T/C comments were going from the comparo a member on here did himself and told me and a few others about... Kwyji was there and about 8 others from here...scaredy cats :P

On the same track, largish rocky climb, dry, he owned both cars.....ML diesel, lift, muds and locker V MN std (TYRES DOWN :roll: ) was virtually like for like - in his opinion.
He also had a locker on the MN but he commented that he found no need to use the locker when he normally would use it on his ML...but again, he adjusted tyre pressures...have I said that before???? :lol:

This track I saw in particular was a tricky track but not super difficult, although depending on the line could be almost unclimbable without a locker and he seemed to take the hardest lines intentionally.
This guy was a local and regular at Ormeau which has some more challenging spots if you want to, so I assumed he was commenting generally and not just about that particular hill.

Maybe he was full of it...but it's the only REAL comparison I've heard of so far...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am

Homer wrote::lol: :lol: If you gooses..yes gooses... had a friggen' clue and tested the TC properly with deflated tyres etc I'd believe you.

Seriously I disregarded the entire thread when I found out that little pearler....and the rest of the dribble...yeah he went great at 8psi but so and so couldn't get up there..oh tyres...nah didn't think about them :roll: there were a few others cringing and going :roll: too I bet....so cop that ya belters!
So called experienced 4wd'ers meh....

Disclaimer: My T/C comments were going from the comparo a member on here did himself and told me and a few others about... Kwyji was there and about 8 others from here...scaredy cats :P

On the same track, largish rocky climb, dry, he owned both cars.....ML diesel, lift, muds and locker V MN std (TYRES DOWN :roll: ) was virtually like for like - in his opinion.
He also had a locker on the MN but he commented that he found no need to use the locker when he normally would use it on his ML...but again, he adjusted tyre pressures...have I said that before???? :lol:

This track I saw in particular was a tricky track but not super difficult, although depending on the line could be almost unclimbable without a locker and he seemed to take the hardest lines intentionally.
This guy was a local and regular at Ormeau which has some more challenging spots if you want to, so I assumed he was commenting generally and not just about that particular hill.

Maybe he was full of it...but it's the only REAL comparison I've heard of so far...

When we did the driver training a couple of months ago we drove through some wombat holes designed to stop most vehicles. The only MN with TC there was QueenslandeR and it was next to useless in that particular situation. So, unless QueenslandeR hasn't worked out how to use it properly (sorry Josh), then my real world experience is that TC on the MN Triton isn't worth a pinch of shit and I'd rather stick with my DL in a sticky situation any day of the week.

I think (regardless of what the noobs at 4WD Action have done or say) that we could easily settle this once and for all by setting up our own comparo at LCMP which has some perfect tracks to try this on. How about a meet up in January sometime fellas? I'd be there for sure :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby daryn on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 am

We also have our own FREE test quarry in the Newcastle area now for a NSW test.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:04 am

daryn wrote:We also have our own FREE test quarry in the Newcastle area now for a NSW test.

That is a really good idea daryn. We could do our testing up here and you could do your testing down there, then we can compare notes.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:42 am

I let my tyres down on the day - well outa habit really.......... :roll:

OK Homer - we hear ya!!! :shock: and i think it is geese :D but how would a goose know.... :?

i think the best way to say this is that the SAME CAR with identical pressures with TC and then with DL was chalk and cheese.

i am dead set keen to see a proper comparison - i obviously don't have TC but there are some MN's that have both - can't be a better comparison than the same car in either configuration. Except the TC doesn't have LSD on a diff locked version.

i think we need a Coffs showdown........ :mrgreen:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 pm

:lol: :lol: yeah I'm being convinced that the TC doesn't work as well as the unnamed member on here thought it did - weird that he would say that as he had a locker in the MN too :?

TC done right does work very well so maybe it's not done right on these?

The ASC was disabled when testing right?

Sounds like we have the beginnings of a potential trip or two :) just to settle the argument of course...not to get together and drink p$ss or anything....

And it's gooses for gawds sake...you don't call 2 mouses, meeces do you :roll:

Homer
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components