Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby TUFF TROOP on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:04 pm

I have front and rear lockers and wouldn't have it any OTHER way
Last edited by TUFF TROOP on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TUFF TROOP

Re: Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby fridgie on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm

TUFF TROOP wrote:I have front and rear lockers and wouldn't have it any OTHER way

x2 ;) :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby Jasjul on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:30 am

Hi All,

I'm a long time stalker currently researching ML's between 25-30K. It will be a diesel manual. I have read on here that the rear axle is very dependable, just wondering if the workings for the factory locker have also been as reliable?

Also for those that have fitted the front lockers, do they use 4H on dirt roads (Easy Select) with the Lokka, not the ARB air locker, and if so does it affect the handling/steering much through 60-70km/h sweeping bends or even tighter stuff?

I wouldn't use the lockers for SERIOUS off road work, as shown by Homer's video on Widowmaker. More so to make sure I don't get stuck on a diagonal with opposing wheels spinning. I always take the chicken track! ;)

Thanks in advance

Jason
Jasjul

Postby boycee on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 am

Hey mate send Mattstruck a pm, He knows all about them. :P :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 am

All reports are good on the rear locker's dependability. Plenty on here with them with no real issues.

My widowmaker attempt was plain stupid. You can't see it but it was absolutely pelting down rain and the shiny streaks on the hill were ankle deep rivers.

It was an accident waiting to happen :oops:

Seriously, the front locker is what you want when doing the extreme stuff. In general it just slowly walks you up with 100% control ;) It's the only time I turn it on.
Don't let that vid give you the wrong impression ;)
It will keep you straight on hills that without you may end up crossed up - even non extreme ones. It will also save you bashing and spinning. Just think of it as an aid to climb most hills at least 50% slower than if you didn't have it.

Others should be along with some thoughts on the lokka question.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Jasjul on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks for the quick replys lads.

Jason
Jasjul

Re: Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby white_hilux on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 am

fridgie wrote:
TUFF TROOP wrote:I have front and rear lockers and wouldn't have it any OTHER way

x2 ;) :lol:

x3 the difference is out of this world!!!!
white_hilux

Postby tukadafoonday on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:03 am

I went and did a great weekend of driving with only a rear locker (factory) I got every where a twin locked jeep and a front locked range went.

The only thing I had trouble with was needing some momentum climbing the rock steps because I didn't have anything pulling the front up.

If you are happy to take chicken tracks and want to do some very difficult 4x4 then the rear locker is very good and strong at the same time... If you want to get some extreme tracks done I would look at the front however they are prone to braking more than the rear locker.

Like homer said, others will fill you in on the front lokka as I don't want to start another argument :)
tukadafoonday

Postby fridgie on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:48 am

I'd say the factory rear locker is a very dependable unit, have used mine a heap and never had an issue with it ;)

Not getting into the front vs rear debate... driven properly the front locker WONT break things, the person behind the wheel will. A lot of us who have had them fitted generally have given the cv's a hiding beforehand which would explain the recent spate of vehicles breaking them.

Having said that, they are more likely to get you somewhere the chances of breaking something can increase, not guaranteed, just increased ;)

I have the arb front so can't comment on the lokka
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Steane on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 pm

I have the Lokka and there is no issue with it at speed on the dirt (touring 80-100kmh). I've driven it heaps on dirt now and really don't notice it. Steering returns to centre more quickly, but that's about it. Even stop noticing that after a while.

Touring was my big concern and it's turned out to be nothing to worry about at all.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 pm

ahhhh.... my first ever post :)

Funny... Ive gone full circle now and have dual locked :shock: :lol:

With easy select do you get wind up with a front Lokka? I reckon you would on the black stuff.

Remember its not SS.... So SS equivalent would be 4HLC. On dirt no but black I would say yes.

Only thing I find with the Lokka on the black top is mine centers very quickly so need to hold wheel and offer some resistance or it will over shoot before coming back of its own accord :shock:

Thats in SS (4H for GLX-R owners).
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby mattz on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 pm

by Mattstruck on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 pm
Diff Lock. Is it worth having on the new Triton?

If it has traction and Stability control surely it will apply brakes to slipping wheel until wheel with traction starts turning. Just like a diff locker. Am I right or am I horribly wrong?
They also come with MATT - Mitsub All Terain Technology. With center diff locked. Whats that mean? Salemen know jack about the technicalities of these cars. They can only tell you if it has blue tooth or cruise control.

I know its only a $700 option but is it needed or effective given the electronics fitted probally replicate a diff locker???

Please help me I am about to order a GLX-R and unsure whether to spend the $700.

Cheers
Would this be it?
You have had an obsession with diff locks haven't you. :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:26 pm

mattz wrote:Diff Lock or not to diff lock...
by Mattstruck on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 pm
Diff Lock. Is it worth having on the new Triton?

If it has traction and Stability control surely it will apply brakes to slipping wheel until wheel with traction starts turning. Just like a diff locker. Am I right or am I horribly wrong?
They also come with MATT - Mitsub All Terain Technology. With center diff locked. Whats that mean? Salemen know jack about the technicalities of these cars. They can only tell you if it has blue tooth or cruise control.

I know its only a $700 option but is it needed or effective given the electronics fitted probally replicate a diff locker???

Please help me I am about to order a GLX-R and unsure whether to spend the $700.

Cheers
Would this be it?
You have had an obsession with diff locks haven't you. :lol:

Well....I have a passing interest :oops: :lol:
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Mattstruck wrote:ahhhh.... my first ever post :)

Funny... Ive gone full circle now and have dual locked :shock: :lol:

With easy select do you get wind up with a front Lokka? I reckon you would on the black stuff.

Remember its not SS.... So SS equivalent would be 4HLC. On dirt no but black I would say yes.

Only thing I find with the Lokka on the black top is mine centers very quickly so need to hold wheel and offer some resistance or it will over shoot before coming back of its own accord :shock:

Thats in SS (4H for GLX-R owners).

Easy select- you would get wind up with or without the locker if you select 4HLC on black stuff- selecting 4wd is useful in low traction surfaces- its on a sticker on the drivers door......

that is the benefit of super select- it can be run in high traction surfaces

do not confuse the issue.....

this is getting back to basics and nothing to do with lockers
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Ouch :oops:

Jasjul wrote:Hi All,

I'm a long time stalker currently researching ML's between 25-30K. It will be a diesel manual. I have read on here that the rear axle is very dependable, just wondering if the workings for the factory locker have also been as reliable?

Also for those that have fitted the front lockers, do they use 4H on dirt roads (Easy Select) with the Lokka, not the ARB air locker, and if so does it affect the handling/steering much through 60-70km/h sweeping bends or even tighter stuff?

I wouldn't use the lockers for SERIOUS off road work, as shown by Homer's video on Widowmaker. More so to make sure I don't get stuck on a diagonal with opposing wheels spinning. I always take the chicken track! ;)

Thanks in advance

Jason

Just trying to help answer the mans question :)
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby joshua.alexander on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Hey..... To save me starting a new thread because its probably soooo simple. I went weeling the other day and my Factory diff lock would not engage. How ever the over rides worked (ABS,TC etc...) and the lights displayed, but the RD Lock light just kept blinking (Normally it is steady green). What direction should i be sent in about this, what should i look at??
Thanks guys.
J.A
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby ag9111 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Top front of the rear diff is the limit switch actuator. See if thats moving at all. That gives feedback to the ECU to say the diff is engaged
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 pm

There's an override switch for the compressor under the drivers seat. You need to pull the seat out to get to it, but you'll see it when you do, it's a big switch with "Compressor Override Switch" written on it. Just reset that by flicking the switch towards the back of the car and typing in your vehicle PIN on the keypad next to the switch (PIN is in the front section of your user manual).

You should hear the compressor fire up and go through a test sequence (it will go on and off for about 2 mins).

All you need to do then is reinstall the drivers seat, being careful not to knock the switch. Do that and Bob will be your uncle and Fanny possibly ya granny. ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:59 pm

OHH. Gee I ripped that out when installing the Sub amp. DOH. No wonder my RDL doesnt work properly anymore
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joshua.alexander on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeh ok, ill give it a go, if i cant work it, the good people at phil gilbert will help me i am sure...... Just wont tell them i pulled the seat out.
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Steane wrote:There's an override switch for the compressor under the drivers seat. You need to pull the seat out to get to it, but you'll see it when you do, it's a big switch with "Compressor Override Switch" written on it. Just reset that by flicking the switch towards the back of the car and typing in your vehicle PIN on the keypad next to the switch (PIN is in the front section of your user manual).

You should hear the compressor fire up and go through a test sequence (it will go on and off for about 2 mins).

All you need to do then is reinstall the drivers seat, being careful not to knock the switch. Do that and Bob will be your uncle and Fanny possibly ya granny. ;)

Steam, have you stopped taking your pills again? :roll:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Steane on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:52 pm

It's a cab-chassis quirk CD. DCs have the switch under the rear seat closer to the compressor. Josh will see when he gets that seat out ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Hmm, the only keypad in mine is definitely connected to explosives. I think Sandra Bullock left them there a while back. I've never felt right typing a pin in - it's not the sort of thing where you want to get the number wrong 3 times is it, who knows what could happen?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mooons on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Hmm, the only keypad in mine is definitely connected to explosives. I think Sandra Bullock left them there a while back. I've never felt right typing a pin in - it's not the sort of thing where you want to get the number wrong 3 times is it, who knows what could happen?

You should be ok Dave just don't drop below 80
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Hmm, the only keypad in mine is definitely connected to explosives. I think Sandra Bullock left them there a while back. I've never felt right typing a pin in - it's not the sort of thing where you want to get the number wrong 3 times is it, who knows what could happen?

Now you're just being silly :roll: :roll:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components