Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby joshua.alexander on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:41 pm

i can..... it shouldnt be a hard job as i just got to check where the relays are connected to, i image its probably connected to the 4x4 indicator light circuit.
i wonder if steane will tell me i have to pull the seat up and there will be a switch next to the circuit breaker for the air bag light and the compressor over ride switch
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:53 pm

No that's what you need to do to get the diff lock to stay on up to 50kph like everyone else's ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Mines been on a fair bit faster than 50kph :P
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Steane on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:57 pm

joshua.alexander wrote:i can..... it shouldnt be a hard job as i just got to check where the relays are connected to, i image its probably connected to the 4x4 indicator light circuit.
i wonder if steane will tell me i have to pull the seat up and there will be a switch next to the circuit breaker for the air bag light and the compressor over ride switch

No mate. You'll have to pull your dash out to get to this one. ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 pm

fridgie wrote:Mines been on a fair bit faster than 50kph :P

i remember a time when i couldn't get mine to work in high range. i wonder now if it was due to excessive klm's.

who reads the owners manual..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:20 pm

joshua.alexander wrote:i can..... it shouldnt be a hard job as i just got to check where the relays are connected to, i image its probably connected to the 4x4 indicator light circuit.

Careful mate... its NEVER that simple ;) :lol:

There is an ASC/TC ECU and a Diff lock ECU. You need to crack the lot or the engine ECU will spit the dummy.

Steed is correct. :shock: They are all behind the dash.

The TC/ABS and D/L ECUs are behind the glove box. Think ECU is around there somewhere too.

Have fun and write up a thread so we can keep track of this most recent mod. 8-)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby har05l on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:20 pm

joshua.alexander wrote:In regards to the factory diff lock only being engageable in 4h or 4l, can i bypass that and do something to the relays to activate it anytime i want?

WHY :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:28 pm

har05l wrote:
joshua.alexander wrote:In regards to the factory diff lock only being engageable in 4h or 4l, can i bypass that and do something to the relays to activate it anytime i want?

WHY :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

my money is on a B&S ;) :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 pm

howd ya go Joshua ;) :D
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby har05l on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:54 am

@ Joshua, perhaps when your at Mitsubishi next I'd ask them if they could help you out with your question, hell they work on them every day so someone would definitely have the answer for you and point you in the right direction ;)

Let us know how you go :mrgreen:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joshua.alexander on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 am

Well i will start a new thread when i start the project, ill fire up the old multimeter and find a schematic.

The reason why is just there has been time when i only require my diff lock.
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 am

Lol, for skids on a nice greasy patch of grass lol.... that or the neighbours nature strip :twisted:
ML-VR08

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm

I had my rear locker wired up on a switch, and immediately disconnected it all. If the temptation is there it will always win! Turns a triton into a v8 commodore haha
TUFF TROOP

Postby Homer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:09 pm

^^^ It turns it into a Triton with an LSD...told you they were good :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:01 pm

If someone has successfully done this mod to a Diff Locked ML please PM me.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Just posting my experience with my ARB front locker here so hopefully others might find it useful if they ever find themselves in the same position as I was...

Whilst wheeling in Coffs Harbour recently I noted the unmistakable clicking sound of a passenger CV. Rather than risk it going bang on a track the next day, Homer and Geek pulled it out that evening and attempted to replace it with a spare one.

It was a gallant attempt. As much as they tried, they failed to get the CV in with the C-clip attached. We did initially think it was because they were useless :lol: That wasn’t the case though. Giving up on installing the C-clip, the CV was put in without it. The next day however, the CV went on a relatively easy section of track, no significant momentum and no extreme forces involved. We think that the reason it went was because of the increased torque experienced by the CV due to it moving out of the spline at full droop due to the C-clip missing. It follows that whole extension of action around a point equalling more force/torque principle - like putting a water pipe on a shifter to get more leverage. That's my understanding of it anyway, happy to be educated otherwise. :geek:

Whilst on the side of the track, after seeing to Mr CV CV Bang Bang, Lewis had a go at again replacing my passenger CV with another spare. The result was the same, the CV would not locate with the C-clip attached. So it proved Homer and Geek aren't useless.

Back in Brisbane, Lewis had the ute for a week and determined that the locker port in which the CV spline locates was simply not right. He contacted ARB and was told there had been cases where it had happened to other vehicles in the past making specific mention to Hiluxes. In the mean time Lewis sourced some smaller diameter C-clips to fit the passenger CV for me (and had the two CVs reconditioned for me). So at the moment I am all sorted. Big thumbs up to Lewis (and Jonlin Automotive) for his efforts!

I decided however to take it up with ARB. I wrote an email via their online form and received a welcome response in a matter of days.

The email was sent to ARB engineers in Melbourne and their response was sent up to ARB Nundah to action. Basically what they said was that this problem surfaced a few times in IFS vehicles with lockers. They found it more in Hiluxes as they sold more for Hiluxes (no real surprise there). But they were quick to change the design to fix the problem. There was obviously a few left floating around of the original design and I ended up with one. The problem was identified around 2 years ago, I got mine 1 year ago. They just didn't clear a lot of stock for the Tritons, probably until recently.

ARB Nundah is going to fix mine by either putting a chamfer on the lead edge and/or shave the inside. Basically they will take it all apart and see what needs to be done. They might just replace the star gears depending on what they find when it all comes out.

This should happen in about a couple of weeks time. Very happy with the ARB response. I did think it was going to be a battle but they are standing behind their product which is always a good thing to see. Thumbs up for ARB on this one!

I should add that this issue was first identified a while back by Lee and his guys at Eagers Mitsubishi. I can't quite recall how they came across it but I think it was because they found metal shavings attached to the magnetic plug of the diff housing whilst changing oil during a routine service. At the time I took the ute back to the guy who installed the locker (after weeks of chasing him) and he replaced a C-clip that Eagers found missing. All the guy said was that it was hard to get in. Having seen the C-clip the day that Homer and Geek took it out, it was obviously put in with a large amount of force which had damaged it and resulted in it breaking in half.

I suppose that anyone with an ARB front locker should be mindful of this if they ever have a passenger CV go bust. It's not the end of the world, you will get home (providing you have a spare CV) but don't panic if it won't go in with the C-clip on. I don't recommend you continue off-road shenanigans without the C-clip as you will only bust more CVs (I basically did 3 in two days :roll: )
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Great un biased arb/front diff lock review naff. Nice and detailed..... :D
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby mattz on Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Good to see that ARB standing by their product and sorting it out. Relatively painless too. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby fridgie on Wed May 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Something definitely to look out for there :?

Might be time, once I get a few other things done, to change out my passo cv. Have done the drivers side but haven't done the passo side. Hopefully, seeing as I got mine in august and they had to order it in it will be fine.

At least if it isn't I know what to do ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Mattstruck on Wed May 16, 2012 8:01 pm

What brand will/do you use Fridgie?

I have Burson CVs as back up but never used them :D
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 16, 2012 10:08 pm

There are some doubts about the capacity of the bursons items off road. An approach was made to the manufacturer who declined to sell them for offroad use. Geek has a pair in his vehicle so we should know soon enough if they're up to it or not. Still a worthwhile spare for emergency use or for on-road use but may not be up to scratch for the heavy stuff. They do seem stronger than the Repco item at this stage though.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed May 16, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm using Repco Cv shafts in pass and drivers side on my locked ml. And have had no worries in the last 6 months have done high. Country, border track, cununda, heaps of mud runs etc and no issues. Also getting the Repco ones at trade helped me decide what ones to get haha.
TUFF TROOP

Front diff lock

Postby Shwa on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 am

Hi all. So the rear did flock thing has been done to death. I'm about to buy a second hand MN with the factory rear loka. Now I've been doing some research on front loka's and I'm curious, from my understanding the rear factory loka is air actuated (although electronically controlled) is it not possible to use the same air source for a front loka? Has anyone tried this? If so what brand of loka did you use? Also has anyone had much experience with a auto loka in the front while offroading?
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Re: Front diff lock

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 am

the factory rear compressor is small to say the least. the available air brands for the front locker would probably require their own due to air volume and pressure. the air compressor is probably not the biggest cost anyway plus a decent compressor will give you on board air for tyre inflating which you will definitely need if you are twin locked anyway.

the new e-locker is imminent as well, although it has been on the cards now for a couple of years. search that term for suitable threads.
Last edited by snowman on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Front diff lock

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 am

Hey mate, short answer is no you need another air source.

Have a look at the first link in my sig line for most info you would need to know. Also hit that search button up there to the right and type in front locker. Feel free to post away in any of those threads.
It has many posts about the pro's and cons of all of your questions...good luck :lol:

I will merge or lock this post shortly as there is plenty on here.

Here's one to get you started http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6773&p=248521&hilit=front+locker#p248521

Homer
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components