The Automatic Transmission - talk shit thread

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: The Automatic Transmission - talk shit thread

Postby steve1961 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Mines jan 09 and it has the oil cooler
steve1961

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:17 pm

ok i just checked mine and after being bitterly disappointed as i could not see any oil lines running below the starter motor as stormy's second photo shows. :( :(

.... i then noticed two lines terminating at the gearbox like in the diagram but on the DRIVERS SIDE :D you will see them running between the sump and the oil filter. it is very hard to see in past my bullbar but the oil cooler seems to be located as per the diagram and previous models.

i can only assume this is an upgrade to suit the Super Select MY09 models which has a different gearbox and obviously the inlet and outlet on the opposite side of the box.

someone the other nite was talking on chat about upgrading from an easy to a super select box and apart from ECU issues this would be another item to put on the list to do.

Anyway good news for MY09 owners as the cooler upgrade is far easier if you have pipework there. :D :D :D

The other thing is the cooler sits way forward of the other radiators and i wonder if the bullar is shadowing it too much as the lower air gaps almost come in behind it. having said that BG doesn't even have a bullbar...... :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 am

damn this got buried fast...

anyway further info for others:

Up to (and including) ML Auto (so yes the 4 speed) HAS a cooler if it is FEB09 build and BEFORE..

So my MARCH09 build and onward (alco, mickred et al) HAS NO COOLER! :x
f you cheap skate mitsubishi!!!!

This is a big handbrake on those that want to put a aftermarket cooler on and have one of the later batches of ML's.. :cry:

For those looking for theirs.. pretty easy to spot small black cooler directly beside (to the passo side) beside the puny intercooler.

I am sorting a service for mine as we speak.. oil in mine is no longer red :shock: will discuss adding the cooler if possible.... :evil:

//chipIT Justin has confirmed he using that mob in victoria as snowie has linked. Looking forward to his feedback ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 am

i typed up the below before digging up the thread and noted BG has already added info i missed. Anyway i have nominated my MY09 build date (with cooler) for those that care......

After comparing some MY09 autos on the Lithgow trip it seems the auto cooler was dropped somewhere between mine which is a Nov 08 BUILD (compliance Feb 09) and BG which was a March compliance (BG can you confirm your BUILD date please).
The other easy to define item we found between these MY09 models is my compliance and build plate is under the bonnet on the firewall whereas the newer ones are located on both B pillars at the bottom inside the doors.

Also regarding the auto I drove BG’s and noticed his auto hooks up (locks in) much sooner and feels far more definite in the changes as well as more punch at lower revs. There is no doubt about it.
Mine feels ‘mushy’ until you get up into the rev range when it goes OK. So now I need to find out why this might be the case. I assumed the software to the TC would be identical but now I realise there is no cooler on the later models I am not so sure………..
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 am

Well something came of this thread- not all autos are created equal....

Always knew MMA played with the models a lot- something other brands do not do. A update every 2-3 years is better than having a hundred differences depending on what week it is.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:44 am

Snowman, was the sprint booster turned on or off in bg's and do you have one ? Because that plays a big part in how the auto works.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:57 am

daryn wrote:Snowman, was the sprint booster turned on or off in bg's and do you have one ? Because that plays a big part in how the auto works.

no i turned it off so it was apples for apples. but it was on to start with until i realised. do you know how hard it is to drive in 2wd on seriously foggy, wet and bumpy dirt roads and high tyre pressure with the booster on? - shite there was one moment i can tell you..........better be carefull BG only saw the tyre marks i left through the right hander. glad i cleared the smell in the cab before he got back in..... :? :P ;)

i do like how it is literally a button press and it is off though. just don't have $400 for it yet and it will only mask my auto problem as there is definately something not right with mine.........i am sure BG will comment. He drove it.

don't start me on the brakes which also are not right compared to BG's. same front end upgrade too - just not getting the clamping pressure at high application. :evil:

just highlights the quality control issues Mits has. I can't (and won't) waste my time going to the dealer as it changes gears and the car stops. They wont give a toss - to be fair to them it is hard to tell without really driving the car a lot and then comparing. it is just us when we really try and notice all the little things and then swap cars for a direct comparison that we can try and fix these 'little things'. It is the difference between a good car and a great car.

Mits DESIGN a great car but only BUILD a good one.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Mine is BUILT MAR09. No compliance date on these new stickers on B pillar but had mine replaced after purchase due to a known printing issue cutting off the 9 in 09 :roll: (that experience is for another rant)
My rant would start firstly with the variations in the 'MY09 update' :roll: You right they design OK they build like ... grr dropped a auto cooler between sep08 and feb09... def didnt fit them in march09 :x

Now Snowie stop talking up my truck you give me a big head :lol:

Had a good burn in snowies and he is right the auto in his is much more sluggish than mine (and me whinging about mine so much :roll: )
Was hilarious following snowie and admit I was being a bit conservative as had his young fella beside me although he was egging me on :mrgreen: (like father like son)

Main differences is in pickup (TC lock is slippy) as well as changedowns when you give it a boot takes its time changing down. Would be annoying driving it over time as all the power sitting there gets eaten up locking up the TC. Once at pace it performs same as mine until you need it to change down and go. Did some falling back from snowie and get into it just to see how bad it was.
The weather was pathetic so both of us didn't go to extremes as such but definately snowie has a genuine greivance there. Be much harder for him to do decent circlework :P ;) Taking up with a dealer would be a non event..... wont go there...

When he booted mine mid corner (leaving a very wide mark on the dirt road and probably in his pants too) a sheepish and slightly squeeky voice came over the UHF.. 'You have a sprint booster fitted dont you geek???' :lol: Located the magic button for him so he could switch off.. gee was only on green setting mate :mrgreen:

//Been thinking about your brakes as they dont bite as hard as mine... Could the extra weight of the barwork and canopy cause this? They feel glazed.. Brake Kleen spray should help here and even whacking out the pads and taking to them with a wire brush to rough them up a bit... Very strange that one I can activate abs no probs with mine and couldnt with yours but didnt try too hard as didnt want to send poor Bailey thru the windscreen :lol:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 pm

My brakes still aren't as good as it was std either I reckon :|
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Homer wrote:My brakes still aren't as good as it was std either I reckon :|

Well that aint good at all :o :o :o
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Nope not good.. Have you guys done a fluid change and bleed yet? May not be getting enough pressure they do take more to get to operating temps with the harder pads....

You can run softer pads with these rotors may be option if you dont brake a lot...

I spend a lot of time jumping on the anchors with jumpers, buses and stoopid taxi drivers in the city all day so my pads remain clean...

Drive around and jump on them for a while.. On off and extended braking.. Heat them right up and give them a good thrashing. I know I sound like a crazy but trust me on this one! Once they cool use a spray brake cleaning product and go mental inside and out. Report back ;)

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Cheers Geek, gave 'em a good clean before I fitted them and run them in until they were smoking :shock: Anyway that's a subject for another time.

Sorry Snowy :|
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Homer wrote:Cheers Geek, gave 'em a good clean before I fitted them and run them in until they were smoking :shock: Anyway that's a subject for another time.

Sorry Snowy :|

yeah i know bloody pain in the rear. but i'll get there......half the fun is working stuff out.

looking at running braided lines for the front to see if i am losing pressure in some swelling rubber :? . the fronts are actually quite long.

The auto - well i am about to cut lose with a 3inch exhaust and a stage 1 valve body upgrade. might have to get some good advice on the auto though but bloody hell finding a really knowledgable auto guy is like finding a politician that isn't self serving. Impossible.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:25 pm

borngeek wrote:Drive around and jump on them for a while.. On off and extended braking.. Heat them right up and give them a good thrashing. I know I sound like a crazy but trust me on this one! Once they cool use a spray brake cleaning product and go mental inside and out. Report back ;)

i hear you BG but i have had this issue with three separate sets of rotors and pads including the originals. it is something between the brake pedal and the back of the pads.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 pm

borngeek wrote://chipIT Justin has confirmed he using that mob in victoria as snowie has linked. Looking forward to his feedback ;)

Do we know what chipIT plans on doing with mods for his auto? would love to hear his feedback...
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby chaser on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:55 pm

i know a guy in Sydney that is nuts with autos, currently has the recorded of the fasted built mits auto in aus ATM. Ill try and get in contact with him maybe get him on this thread to see what he could do??? I must say im not a fan of the autos in Triton's, they seem to take forever to wind up from stand still...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Auto thread or Brake thread ?

signed

Confused

:D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:31 pm

maybe they have automatic brakes??? :? :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby snowman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 pm

chaser wrote:i know a guy in Sydney that is nuts with autos, currently has the recorded of the fasted built mits auto in aus ATM. Ill try and get in contact with him maybe get him on this thread to see what he could do??? I must say im not a fan of the autos in Triton's, they seem to take forever to wind up from stand still...

That would be appreciated Chaser.

daryn wrote:Auto thread or Brake thread ?

signed

Confused

:D

it is called off topic Daryn and relatively common in this easy going website.......
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:16 am

:lol: Yes we have a habit of getting sidetracked, dont worry my wife is on my back about it too :roll:

That would be awesome to have another talent to talk to Chaser! Theres a few of us in Sydney that are keen on doing this as well so could work out nicely for him... 8-)

Stormy, chipIT Justin has not sent his yet and not sure what he will eventually do but likely the works (ie. Stage2 with shifter option). The trans shop owner has a MN and Justin has chipped it for them so likely they will conspire and do something special as these motor heads usually do. I will cross examine when done I am sure he getting sick of all my emails and calls :lol:
Personally I dont like the idea of dropping out my tranny and shipping to victoria... But off the back of Kwyjibo's dedication I could do the drive there :?

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patto on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:57 am

I was speaking yesterday with a bloke yesterday about the Mitsubishi Auto and i told him that the later MLs they had dropped the Trans cooler.

He seems to recall hearing that this was done for a reason and believed that it was They were not getting enough fluid pressure to the torque convertor, eliminating the coller has lead to less fluid movement within the transmission producing a greater pressure and allowing the G-Box to do what it has to do.

Kind of makes sense.
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 am

I have just looked at mine and it seems to have the tranny cooler. 08 build MY09 model
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 am

patto wrote:I was speaking yesterday with a bloke yesterday about the Mitsubishi Auto and i told him that the later MLs they had dropped the Trans cooler.

He seems to recall hearing that this was done for a reason and believed that it was They were not getting enough fluid pressure to the torque convertor, eliminating the coller has lead to less fluid movement within the transmission producing a greater pressure and allowing the G-Box to do what it has to do.

Kind of makes sense.

that is interesting Patto. it does sound exactly like my problem. if that is the case a bigger cooler would even be worse. i wonder if there is a way of beefing up the pump?

who were you speaking with - they seem to have a bit of an idea and if this is true Mits obviously had an idea of the issue, but i dont want them ripping out my cooler to fix it!!!!!

This thread is working PERFECTLY. :D :D :D

daryn wrote:I have just looked at mine and it seems to have the tranny cooler. 08 build MY09 model

Daryn, next time we are together you, BG and myself should swap cars for a few minutes with this test in mind. does your car feel mushy in the auto (SB off of course). again maybe the SB is an option for me but it only masks another problem. you can't fix everything by just throwing more power at it.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 am

snowman wrote:you can't fix everything by just throwing more power at it.

and yet we keep trying :o

interesting regarding the cooler- maybe different valves would be an option.

might have to contact a local bloke and see whats what....
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby sam on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 am

Was in Perth last Firday and took Justins Tri for another sedate drive :) and you can feel the sluggishness
of the auto box big time as his has even more grunt than when I last drove it . :o

Was talking to him on what he's going to do and he seems to be seriously thinking of putting a manual
in with a heavy duty clutch so only time will tell I guess . :|
sam

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components