Broken Wheel Stud.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Broken Wheel Stud.

Postby Deeredriver on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm

I need to change at least one of the rear studs on my L200 (ML).
While rotating the wheels yesterday one of the studs gave way, I knew I was going to have problems as I needed a breaker bar to get the studs undone. These were most likely over tightened by the tyre fitters. There was no way they were only 129 nm's.
I didn't have time to remove the drum last night but I was wondering if the stud can be replaced in situ, i.e is there clearance between the hub and back plate to get the new stud in.

Thanks for any help, Deeredriver.
Deeredriver

Re: Broken Wheel Stud.

Postby snowman on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm

i believe the rear drums can be done on the car but the fronts have to be removed. The guy who did mine mentioned something about the rear drum assembly having softer metal and easier to do on the car. but the front hubs were harder and needed removing from the vehicle to press in.

The studs are a replaceable unit and can be purchased individually from Mits. From memory the front and rears were different part numbers to order (don't quote me) but they are actually the same item and identical front and rear.

if one has broken then consider replacing them all (or at least all wheels that were tight) as some will be beyond the point of no return already. mine took 30,000klms and about three additional rattle guns tightens to come to light but two ended up breaking off when doing up by hand brace..... :evil:

you would think tyre fitters would know better.........obviously not.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Deeredriver on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks Snowman.
I'll be changing all of them as a matter of course. I've got a feeling some of the others were 'stretching' rather than tighening.
I was going to make a tool up, a bit like a ball joint remover so hopefully I'll be able to press them out in on the truck.
Deeredriver

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:47 am

Front and rear studs are different. The collar or something is slightly longer, on the rears, to clear the brake drum thickness. Both stubs are the same lenght so be careful
Last edited by ag9111 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:17 am

I agree. Change all of the studs and be careful with the part numbers.

You have the choice of either going genuine or aftermarket. When we do our own vehicles, we normally upgrade to longer aftermarket studs to suit a larger variety of rims and get more thread. Have a look at NICE products. They are often cheaper than genuine and better quality. We've used them on rally, armoured and general 4WDS with great success.

http://www.niceproducts.com.au/catalogu ... /wheel.php
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 pm

ag9111 wrote:Front and rear studs are different. The collar or something is slightly longer, on the rears, to clear the brake drum thickness. Both stubs are the same lenght so be careful

great - something else for me to check. :cry:

ultimate wrote:You have the choice of either going genuine or aftermarket. When we do our own vehicles, we normally upgrade to longer aftermarket studs to suit a larger variety of rims and get more thread. Have a look at NICE products. They are often cheaper than genuine and better quality. We've used them on rally, armoured and general 4WDS with great success.

now you tell me...... :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 pm

:lol: Sorry mate :oops: You beat me to it last time.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 pm

snowman wrote:great - something else for me to check. :cry:

Poor Snowman

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm

snowman wrote:
ultimate wrote:You have the choice of either going genuine or aftermarket. When we do our own vehicles, we normally upgrade to longer aftermarket studs to suit a larger variety of rims and get more thread. Have a look at NICE products. They are often cheaper than genuine and better quality. We've used them on rally, armoured and general 4WDS with great success.

snowman wrote:

:lol: I was thinking the same thing and waiting for it...

Now how did that song go...

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Ironic
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:34 am

:roll:

yeah so now i dont know if i have fronts and rears or what.....

that's alright i got a heads up on my canopy install and so i actually looked (sometimes not knowing is bliss) and the "Tek Screws" are coming out...... :evil: :evil: :evil:

pretty much over it all ATM.

....but compared to some of the flood survivors i am positively laughing at the moment. 8-)
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Broken Wheel Stud.

Postby fridgie on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 am

Glad you used the term survivor mate ;)

Getting a bit sick of the negative victim tagline.....

Sorry to hear your having more dramas though, gotta love installers hey :roll:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:23 am

Homer wrote:
snowman wrote:

snowman wrote:

:lol: I was thinking the same thing and waiting for it...

Now how did that song go...

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Ironic

That song shits me to tears - absolutely nothing ironic (by definition) about anything in it... The only irony is in the fact that there's nothing ironic about it...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am

BTW, a deadblow hammer will get the rears out in situ, if they are anything like the MK...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

Also, gentle tightening as per common wheel refit will pull the splines into the hub, once seated, torque up and go for a short drive and re-torque, monitor torque over next couple of trips...
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Blue wrote:That song shits me to tears - absolutely nothing ironic (by definition) about anything in it... The only irony is in the fact that there's nothing ironic about it...

big_book_of_irony.jpg

this good enough for you Blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 pm

snowman wrote:
Blue wrote:That song shits me to tears - absolutely nothing ironic (by definition) about anything in it... The only irony is in the fact that there's nothing ironic about it...

big_book_of_irony.jpg

this good enough for you Blue.

:lol: :lol:
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Deeredriver on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Blue wrote:BTW, a deadblow hammer will get the rears out in situ, if they are anything like the MK...

I got the truck into my workshop the other night, yes the stud's do come out no problem, there's plenty of room.
Deeredriver

Postby Deeredriver on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:06 am

ag9111 wrote:Front and rear studs are different. The collar or something is slightly longer, on the rears, to clear the brake drum thickness. Both stubs are the same lenght so be careful

I ordered the studs today from the main stealers but they said the front and rears are the same?
So I've just removed one of each from my truck to check and sure enough they are.
Deeredriver

Postby snowman on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Deeredriver wrote:

I ordered the studs today from the main stealers but they said the front and rears are the same?
So I've just removed one of each from my truck to check and sure enough they are.

well this was my recollection deeredriver yet AG911 seemed to think there were differences.

mine is an ML as well but Garths is an MN - i wonder if they changed them?????

maybe because the wheels went to 7.5 inch wide? :? :?
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Those nice products people that Brendan refer to above have a different part number for the front compared to the rear on the ML. They don't list the MN yet.

Seems odd the Mitsubishi would also have 2 different part numbers if they're all identical. Not ruling it out since oddness is hardly unusual when we're talking Mitsubishi, but still, makes you wonder. :? :?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:28 pm

I was looking to replace the front drivers as you know Snowy and was told be the parts retailer they were different. He showed me the book and sure enough they are different. Will try to get a copy of his parts manual.
As CD mentioned, MN are not listed yet so this was for the ML. Mitsubishi dont think they will break. :lol:

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mayhem2015 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Has anyone done a front stud themselves? I have one stub with stripped thread. It was cross threaded on install and the mechanic managed one last install last visit. Now it is stuffed. I have another but it looks complicated.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am

Mayhem2015 wrote:Has anyone done a front stud themselves? I have one stub with stripped thread. It was cross threaded on install and the mechanic managed one last install last visit. Now it is stuffed. I have another but it looks complicated.

Pretty easy to do, bash the old one out, and you can bash the new one back in.

Caliper and disc have to be removed.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mayhem2015 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks Bill,

Managed to get it done last night. It was easier than I thought for sure. Didn't even need to take the disc off. Hardest part was getting the new stud flush. Takes a lot of force to draw it in.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:05 am

Lucky its not a Fraud.

While at one of the auto parts place, the guy said a particular ford ( can't recall model) now has hubs with welded in wheel studs. Essentially a broken stud means the whole hub/axle unit has to be replaced.

Ford are also being sued in the US for defective wheel nuts - made from two parts. Too smart for their own good. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components