Air Filters - Petrol v Diesel ?

Air Filters - Petrol v Diesel ?

Postby Storm Trooper on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Anyone out there know there stuff regarding air filters? gonna need your help.

At our recent triton trip (Deau National Park) i used Sapients (with his kind permission) uni filter and installed it in my truck (Sapient has a turbo diesel and i have a petrol) so we work out from this test that the air boxes are the same size and air filters are the same size (of course) so i went to buy a uni filter today but first (cause they were first between my place and repco) i stopped and checked out a 4x4 store and i was speaking to some guy there and they mentioned to me that there is a difference between diesel and petrol air filters like that of uni filter (he went onto say there should be).... he mentioned that the diesel turbo air intake is a different rate than that of the petrol models, the foam density/thickness/foam type is different between the two.... well thats what he reckons should be!

is this the case ? and if so will this not increase the fuel consumption (if you install the diesel air filter)? and where does this leave the petrol guys getting a performance based air filter (aftermarket)?

or is it back to square one for me..... :?:
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Re: Air Filters - Petrol v Diesel ?

Postby Sapient on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:49 am

Stormy call Unifilter direct and ask them...I have always found them to be helpful. (02) 4322 2007
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 am

Cheers Sapient - i just spoke to the guys at unifilter and it seems it sweet as, their is no difference between the two... :D
they said the only issue is fitting, if it fits into the petrol model than it'll be better for you than your paper filter of either diesel or petrol. it seemed to me that they might not have tried to fit there filter to a petrol model.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby Adz on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:59 am

:D :D :D :D :D Thats awesome news Stormy....I've got the blokes at the local filter joint (The Filter Factory, Fyshwick) to order one in for me, so I'll be happy as larry!!

Cheers fellas, that just made my day!! :D :D :D
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby Sapient on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:48 am

Storm Trooper wrote:Cheers Sapient - i just spoke to the guys at unifilter and it seems it sweet as, their is no difference between the two... :D
they said the only issue is fitting, if it fits into the petrol model than it'll be better for you than your paper filter of either diesel or petrol. it seemed to me that they might not have tried to fit there filter to a petrol model.

They didnt know the Rodeo filter would fit the Triton until we told them it would so it doesnt surprise me they didnt think to compare petrol/diesel.

Dont forget to buy some filter oil.....your gunna need to reoil regularly if your "doin it in the dirt".
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby FRDESP on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:20 pm

So from this do they actually reflect any real difference in economy or Hp.Is the unifilter foam or a washable cotton one like the K and N type of filter.
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:34 pm

hi FRDESP my economy has dropped a tiny bit... and i mean tiny... hp i really cant prove any gains as i did not dyno before and after installation...

the filter is made of foam, two layers and its the unifilter oil that apparently stops the dirt,,,, hence Sapients comment of make sure you get some oil to oil the filter regularly. according to the brochure the oil is the dirt/contaminant stopper finer particles while the foam stops the larger particles.

however either filter will save you money in the long run, as you only need to buy one :idea:
Storm Trooper

Postby Adz on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:00 am

FRDESP wrote:So from this do they actually reflect any real difference in economy or Hp.Is the unifilter foam or a washable cotton one like the K and N type of filter.

Hey Frdesp...I've also noticed a slight difference in fuel economy however nothing to get alarmed about (maybe .2L/100km) but thats about it. Having said that, since the stealer changed the oil at the 7500km service, I've been getting better economy anyway, so it all balances out! :D :D

One thing I have noticed is the slightly better power higher up in the revs...seems to want to go like a rocket up around 4500rpm (2nd & 3rd gear). ;) I dont know if its the filter or just the fact that the engine is broken in properly now.
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Return to Tips & Tricks