Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby biggibbo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:21 pm

deermaster wrote:Been running mine with the blanking plate in and made it run better seemed to have more power down low, I also got an extra half a kilometer to the liter. Mine has been in for a couple of weeks now with no adverse effects.
I have been told by a very reliable source that there should be an 8mm hole in the blanking plate? not 6 or 10 or 1/8th it has to be 8mm This very knowledgable person/persons were quite adament about it. the reason I was asking was because of the long trips to NT and Cape York that I will be doing very soon and I was worried that it might start to throw codes or whatever along the way.
Just letting you know what I was told to do by two mechanics????
I am going to try it but if the fuel consumption goes back up I will have a spare blanking plate to put back in again.
Where I put mine was above the water trap above the manifold,( I think its called a water trap anyway,) before the gas runs over the back of the motor and into the inlet manifold.
It looks to me to be a better place where the pipe comes out down low before it gos into the water trap, but no mechanic so not sure?
I do have the new inlet manifold fitted it was done on warrantee which was good. The truck only has 45000ks on it.
I am so confused its not funny as I am being told different things by different people and don't know who to believe or take notice of. :roll:

If your going to put an 8mm hole in it you might as well not bother. Its still going to let soot in which will
mix with the oil mist and sludge up the manifold. Even a 6mm hole lets it in and sort of defeats the purpose. I have had no probs without the hole with the one way valve set up with a decent 1 way valve.
biggibbo

Postby deermaster on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm

biggibbo wrote:
deermaster wrote:Been running mine with the blanking plate in and made it run better seemed to have more power down low, I also got an extra half a kilometer to the liter. Mine has been in for a couple of weeks now with no adverse effects.
I have been told by a very reliable source that there should be an 8mm hole in the blanking plate? not 6 or 10 or 1/8th it has to be 8mm This very knowledgable person/persons were quite adament about it. the reason I was asking was because of the long trips to NT and Cape York that I will be doing very soon and I was worried that it might start to throw codes or whatever along the way.
Just letting you know what I was told to do by two mechanics????
I am going to try it but if the fuel consumption goes back up I will have a spare blanking plate to put back in again.
Where I put mine was above the water trap above the manifold,( I think its called a water trap anyway,) before the gas runs over the back of the motor and into the inlet manifold.
It looks to me to be a better place where the pipe comes out down low before it gos into the water trap, but no mechanic so not sure?
I do have the new inlet manifold fitted it was done on warrantee which was good. The truck only has 45000ks on it.
I am so confused its not funny as I am being told different things by different people and don't know who to believe or take notice of. :roll:

If your going to put an 8mm hole in it you might as well not bother. Its still going to let soot in which will
mix with the oil mist and sludge up the manifold. Even a 6mm hole lets it in and sort of defeats the purpose. I have had no probs without the hole with the one way valve set up with a decent 1 way valve.

Do you have a photo of the one way valve you have fitted?
deermaster

Postby biggibbo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Its back a few pages-homebrew valve with 300mm of hose off the T. Dunno if the valve or hose is stopping the codes but 5000km and no code since set up.
biggibbo

Postby odie602r on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't have a photo with me, but I've just used one from an aquarium shop, along with an air stone as a filter. For $3 it's worked fine, been on for about 3 months so far.

Figure that with a scan gauge attached I'll know if it ever stops working, as the negative pressure amounts will increase.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Some very good advice from all those replies.
This thread has evolved over time to fix a complex problem in the simplest way possible.
I'll miss it when I change vehicles later in the year.
sierra

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:56 am

Going for a petrol Great Wall Sierra?

Just kiddin
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby biggibbo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 am

odie602r wrote:I don't have a photo with me, but I've just used one from an aquarium shop, along with an air stone as a filter. For $3 it's worked fine, been on for about 3 months so far.

Figure that with a scan gauge attached I'll know if it ever stops working, as the negative pressure amounts will increase.

search back a few pages and make sure you don't buy the flap type pictured below - they will fail

Click to view larger picture
biggibbo

Postby sierra on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 am

RHKTriton wrote:Going for a petrol Great Wall Sierra?

Just kiddin

No! They're cheaper than some fruit and vegetables per kg and that says it all!

I've always enjoyed driving and am in my 60's visiting my 95 year old mother in the nursing home every few days. That inspired me to have some fun while I still can.
When the GT 86 came out way under 'price' expectations, I ordered a GTS manual. I was worried about getting in and out but it was easy enough and it drives as good as they say. Have to wait until October though. :(

Couldn't get a diesel. I was gutted! :cry:
So I ordered the power up exhaust package from nameless in the US so I will still be able to hear it. :D

Is this off topic? Sure is, whoops!
Last edited by sierra on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sierra

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 am

Huh what ru talking bout a great wall or a gts manaro in deisel ?im confused siera
viking shippy

Postby burnah on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am

sierra wrote:...Is this off topic? Sure is, whoops!

Not if it has an EGR valve and you intend on closing it.
:lol: :lol:
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 am

burnah wrote:
sierra wrote:...Is this off topic? Sure is, whoops!

Not if it has an EGR valve and you intend on closing it.
:lol: :lol:

:lol:
It does but I wont be closing it on a petrol motor unless there's a good reason again.
sierra

Postby burnah on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:50 am

No gains on a petrol?
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 am

The only gains you achieve with a petrol engine is........ gaining a new engine! You will be running lean mixtures and damage it.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby sierra on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm

burnah wrote:No gains on a petrol?

I don't know?
The guys here with the V6 don't seem to have had any problems but they wouldn't have the particles that a diesel has in the first place. There is an alternative for petrol to get the same result that seems better but I can't remember what it is. Must be more expensive.

Not sure why it would run lean Gregned but i'll take your word for it.

Might start a new thread closer to getting it to see if anyone's interested in my single cab?
sierra

Postby Kegsy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Sr20 guys blank the egr all the time. So there must be gain on petrol as well...

If anything i would have thought they would run rich with it blocked :-?
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Kegsy wrote:If anything i would have thought they would run rich with it blocked :-?

Those were my thoughts too. :?
sierra

Postby gregned on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:40 pm

I would imagine that the introduction of exhaust into any engine will in effect displace the intake air and decrease the charge density as the exhaust gas is hotter than ambient air.Therefore If you remove the exhaust gas you will have more air entering the combustion chamber increase the charge density and make the whole engine run hotter. Also exhaust gas at high loads prevents engine knock as lower charge density has the effect of slowing the flame front. In saying this I have no experience in this field, so the increased air fill may still get enough fuel as the EMC will recognise more air flow, also the O2 sensor may adjust the fuelling if its running closed loop. At high loads though richer mixtures are desirable as this makes the combustion cooler as well as create more power, I think the EMC runs in open loop at high loads and wont be able to adjust the fuelling.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby sierra on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 pm

If it runs at similar times to the EGR on our diesel Tritons it will only operate at light throttle openings to include cruising speed. So the high load might not apply?
Also, since a petrol engine is throttled by air rather than fuel, the total volume flowing might actually be reduced since the airflow should remain relatively constant but the exhaust under pressure has been removed? That could result in a richer mixture. Clearly it would be hotter if the total volume flowing was pure air instead air with inert exhaust but it would be producing more power which is where that heat would be coming from.

I'll have to look up petrol EGR so I know what i'm talking about. :lol:
sierra

Postby burnah on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 am

I've got no idea what any of that meant... :oops:
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 am

burnah wrote:I've got no idea what any of that meant... :oops:

I think he is trying to say that the truck has wind lol
viking shippy

Postby burnah on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 pm

:lol: Ah, now I get it.
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Don't try and drag the brilliant V6 down into your dirty diesel quagmire....our engines run perfectly without all your modifications and problems :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 pm

What's that "knocking" noise I hear? :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby sierra on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Homer wrote:Don't try and drag the brilliant V6 down into your dirty diesel quagmire....our engines run perfectly without all your modifications and problems :P

Someone told me the other day how he was spewing when he got a diesel Triton instead of a V6 at work and still is.
They do have their advantages. :D
sierra

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Yeh but you drink more
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks