Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 pm

mickkk wrote:I sent a pm a few weeks back and still have not heard back. Am I missing something here, why is it so secret squirrel.

I pm'ed his email too you. e mail is better than pm's.
mitzikatzi

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:10 pm

He is a pretty busy person, sometimes it takes a while to get back to you.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Tony here...

Please be patient as I will eventually find you all, I have had major server issues (Hence no email reply), PM box overfull, other commitments etc. I'm working through it quickly as possible. Have had to take a day off work as so thick and call in a favor as well.
Sorry for the frustration.

PM's are not a great channel for contact as much harder to track and have limitations.

Server issues now resolved, any who need my urgent attention... tony@spvindustries.com

Regards,
Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BusterMan2388 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 am

I had issues with PM. I emailed Tony had a discussion about the mod, then purchased it I had it in my hands in under a week from payment. Easy to fit and is working. Cheers
BusterMan2388

Postby dave3428 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 pm

I received Tony's mod in the post Tuesday. No problems at all. Tony's such a good bloke he sent me a second that I received Wednesday. Paid for one and got two. Thanks for that Tony. But I only have one triton. So I've sent it back to you Tony. Thanks anyway.
Cheers mate
Dave
dave3428

Postby DirtPig on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Received mine within one week. Good stuff!!
Silver 2013 GLX MN Deisel Manual
DirtPig

Postby smlr on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi all

Has anyone tried to plug in another EGR valve & just mount it next to the existing EGRV. That way the ECU is operating an EGRV, it's just not connected in the manifold. Your existing EGR should stay closed. Am I right? Would this cause issues?
Last edited by smlr on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smlr

Postby biggibbo on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

smlr wrote:Hi all

Has anyone tried to plug another EGR & just mount it next to the existing EGR. That way the ECU is operating an EGR it's just not connected in the manifold. Your existing EGR should stay closed. Am I right? Would this cause issues?

Why bother?

A resistor is cheaper and easier to fit, and removable.
biggibbo

Postby smlr on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 pm

I thought the resistor caused certain issues
smlr

Postby biggibbo on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:28 pm

no issues that im aware of

clean manifolds, lower EGT's, better economy, smoother running - not sure i see any issues.

The problems I think you may be thinking of may be related to the guys who are just chucking in any old resistor without any knowledge of what they are really doing and using incorrect values or tapping into the wrong signal. if u spend $50 and get Tony's kit, its all sorted.
biggibbo

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 am

Fitted Tony's kit (with switch) yesterday. Decided to connect it at the ECU as I wanted all the wiring in the cabin. Unplugged the ECU and AFM, found the black/blue wire and tested the cable for continuity with a meter. Cut the wire at the ECU end. I decided not to use the crimp connectors, so I soldered and heatshrinked the connections, then taped the cable into the loom. The switch was put into one of the blanks next to the cigarette lighter. Checked the operation with my ScanGauge; works a treat :D

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:56 am

biggibbo wrote:no issues that im aware of

clean manifolds, lower EGT's, better economy, smoother running - not sure i see any issues.

The problems I think you may be thinking of may be related to the guys who are just chucking in any old resistor without any knowledge of what they are really doing and using incorrect values or tapping into the wrong signal. if u spend $50 and get Tony's kit, its all sorted.

i have seen 3 issues on the forums in recent times,

2 were related to "tonys kit" being installed incorrectly and another was a fault unrelated to the MAF sensor which actually turned out the be the EGR reporting back the wrong position.

People who do the mod themselves are more likely to understand what they are actually doing as opposed to people buying an off the shelf solution.

the proposal to connecting up a 2nd EGR a few posts back not in air cct would be no different to putting in a blank, sure you would get feedback that the EGR is operating and no change in actual flow, this would potentially give you the same limpys/codes originating from incorrect manifold pressures.
koshari

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:45 am

koshari wrote:....snipp...

People who do the mod themselves are more likely to understand what they are actually doing as opposed to people buying an off the shelf solution.

...snip....

Some people :o
mitzikatzi

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 am

koshari wrote:People who do the mod themselves are more likely to understand what they are actually doing as opposed to people buying an off the shelf solution.

Have to disagree. The biggest problem is people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and lack the skills to do it anyway. I'm not having a go at anybody - the world is made up of people with different skill sets but what I've watched, for example on another forum, is a bunch of tightwads who are trying to work this whole thing out with clearly not the slightest concept of what's going on or what they're doing. There have been all kinds of results - the mod not working, only partially working and certainly working, although with the resistance values that have been used in cases one would expect that even a power station would grind to a halt. Now, to be fair, not everyone who posts there falls into this category but my point remains that the limiting factor in this mod is probably the installer.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby koshari on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm

OK semantics aside and to be more precise i may have better said "people who understand what they are doing would have a better chance of implementing the mod without issue".

your closing sentence "the limiting factor in this mod is probably the installer." is the point exactly and anybody with a basic understanding with electronics a voltage divider would be about as simple a circuit that there is. for others that don't understand such a basic concept i agree shouldn't be playing around with a vehicles electrical system.

I don't have any experience of the forums you refer to, just the 3 issues i had read recently on these forums which made up part of the context of my post.
koshari

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:11 pm

Are you the "koshari" On a bicycle forum? People there struggle with left hand threaded pedals. Often resulting in costly repairs. I often think that if you have to ask the question on why/how do you do it. You are probably not ready to do the job.
As you stated some can not even instal the Tony Mod correctly. I think your mod is a case of if you have to ask why and how you shouldn't be doing it. If you have the knowledge you could work it out yourself.
The "two wire" mod is something many should avoid doing themselves.
For many the paid mod kit is really the safest option.
mitzikatzi

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

N4th5th - you are right...!
"The limiting factor is the (capability) of the installer."

koshari - you are right...!
"Those who don't have even such a basic knowledge of electronics simply shouldn't --play-- around with the vehicle's electronics system."

mitzikatzi - you are right...!
"For many the paid mod is really the safest option."

Now... my own 2 cents worth...!
For --anyone-- with a 'competent‘ knowledge of electronics, implementing --ANY-- of the 3 suggested versions of the --resistor mod-- as already (over) discussed in the "ET Mod Installation" thread is child's play.
FOR EVERY ONE ELSE... ie, those who have --NO UNDERSTANDING AT ALL-- of electronics, simply --BUY TONY's-- Variable Resistor Mod, and save yourself a lot of 'possible' grief, and stop, filling up the NT Forum's pages with --endless repetition-- of --pointless-- arguments about --which-- is the best option...! ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

It's only taken 94 pages, but I do believe that we have concurrence. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:It's only taken 94 pages, but I do believe that we have concurrence. :D

Hallelujah Brother ... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:50 am

AnOldFart wrote:, those who have --NO UNDERSTANDING AT ALL-- of electronics, simply --BUY TONY's-- Variable Resistor Mod, and save yourself a lot of 'possible' grief, and stop, filling up the NT Forum's pages with --endless repetition-- of --pointless-- arguments about --which-- is the best option...! ;)

I have a good understanding of electronics, and still bought Tony's kit for a variety of reasons, mainly because I like shiny things :lol:

I should point out to anyone that is planning on splicing any mod into the ECU end of the wiring that it is imperative to test the continuity of the wire before installation. You will need a long piece of wire and a multimeter to do this. Unplug the AFM and stick one end of the cable into the plug, and test the wire that you have cut to make sure it is the right one. There are two wires at the ECU that look very similar, especially in the cramped footwell (even with good lighting).

Also, I would recommend that if you choose to solder any of the 3 types of mods rather than crimp, DISCONNECT the plug from the ECU and the AFM! Your soldering iron is capable of delivering stray current into the wiring.

Now I have to find the time to remove the blank that I had previously fitted. :lol:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am

BillMcQuade wrote:
Now I have to find the time to remove the blank that I had previously fitted. :lol:

Is there a need to remove the existing blanking plate once Tonys mod has been fitted?
variflex

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 am

variflex wrote:
BillMcQuade wrote:

Is there a need to remove the existing blanking plate once Tonys mod has been fitted?

No.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:41 am

In a 2.5 yes
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 am

I left the blank in (even though it is redundant) as protection from a gas cooler leak.

Granted the blank doesn't serve any other purpose as the egr is closed anyway. With a commanded throttle position of 100% and at 0% egr, opening it is irrelevant leaving the blank in. If you want it switchable then that changes things a little...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks Gent's
The lazy side in me is saying leave it in,
(3.2L the original and still the best :D )
variflex

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks