replacement key(s)

Re: replacement key(s)

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Wed May 06, 2015 9:45 pm

I remember we broke the key on the wifes old rav4. Toyota quoted just under $160 for a non remote key. The remote key with central locking buttons was over $500, which when asked they couldn't explain why so dear and they didn't appreciate some of my comments on their pricing. I was thinking of getting a spare key and I was hoping it wasn't going to be that dear for the triton.
I no longer fear bridges, for all the trolls have moved to the forums....
Lethal_Leroy

Postby Crash486 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm

MN model, just got the following info. Cost $110 for a replacement key including "chip" to allow starting the car does not have buttons to open the doors. $440 for replacement key cut and encoded ( prices from locksmith) . $490 from mitz but they do a recode so lost key cannot be used. If you loose both keys it's a minimum of $2500.
Crash486

Postby coughy on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 pm

hay geek did you end up in getting one of those key remotes that dave put up ??
if so did it work ok or was it crap and to big and bulky??
or option 3 u pasted and went for a normal one??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Lost, or maybe Stolen, MN key

Postby Cage on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:16 am

Well I have this stupid habit of putting my keys on the counter when I go into shops etc. Not anymore. :cry:

I did it the other day and left the counter to go to my vehicle and didn't have my keys. I was in sight of the counter and turned around and this young guy was there. I walked back and asked him if he had seen my keys and he said 'No', with his eyes all over the place. Hmmm, alarm bells started ringing. I asked him to check his pockets in case he had accidentally picked them up and he patted his pockets and said sorry, no. There had also been a group of four ladies at the counter before him so I couldn't be absolutely sure it was him.

OK, I now have a big problem as my house keys were also on the key ring. Now whoever picked them up doesn't know me, or where I live, but I'm a big believer in Murphy's Law.

I'm in the process of fitting new deadlocks to my house but I will have to get a new set of keys for the Triton. I rang the Stealer who quoted me $552.00 for a new ignition lock and TWO door locks. The MN only has one on the driver's door so that didn't inspire much confidence. On top of that was a charge for fitting them and programming the new keys. I'm guessing the all-up total will be double the parts cost !!!

The young lady at the Stealers mentioned a locksmith who had done some work for her and I gave him a ring and he quoted me $375.00 to replace the ignition and door locks, reprogram and supply two keys. There is another slight problem in that I had a Mongoose MAP80 car alarm fitted when I bought the ute so I will have to contact them and try to find out just what they did and how their unit is tied in with the original immobilisation system. It is supposed to have two extra immobilisation functions.

Sorry for the bloody long post but I was hoping that someone else may have been through this and could point me in the right direction.
Cage

Postby Cage on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Just an update on my above post.

Called into the locksmith today and booked my car in for the job, at $290.00.
That covers resetting the tumblers in the door and ignition locks, supply one generic key for spare (non remote operation) and cut to suit, fit new blade to my original spare key, cut to suit new tumbler setting, reprogram transponder and chip.

It sure pays to shop around. :D

PS: And the POX on the a'hole who pocketed my keys.
Cage

Postby Maxiy on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 am

Hi All

Dragging an old thread out from the depths

So i lost my keys at the snow yesterday and had to get someone to drive my spare up to me.

I just called the Mitsi dealer and they quoted $350 for a replacement :shock: :oops: :?:

This was for a full remote key. Just wondering if these can be replaced by an auto locksmith, or is the programming of these keys out of the realms of anyone other than a dealer ?
Maxiy

Postby Intruder on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 am

Just had one done by an auto locksmith, so yes you can. They needed to order the key from Mitsi though. Was $310 all up for key, cutting and programming. That was for a 2010 MN GLXR, may be different for later model MN's or the MQ.

When I was quoted by Misti down here it was $350 for key and programming, locksmithing for the cutting was extra as they have to get a locksmith in to do this.
Yes... I'll have another beer.
Intruder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:25 am

Sounds like its cheaper for a hacker than an owner... (applies to most vehiles by the look)
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/oh-good-n ... lkswagens/

crash486
Crash486

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:47 am

About 3 months ago,
Mitsi quote,
$1150.00
2 X keys + encoding.

Low life broke into my house and decided to take my spare key, I haven't had the keys done yet, the vehicle is fully insured, wish he would stop being slack and take the effer :lol:
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Sounds like Grand Theft!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks