uhf install

Re: uhf install

Postby MN GLXR on Sun May 09, 2010 8:46 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:this might be a dumb question but I know sfa about UHF. Is there anyway to connect both a low gain and a high gain antenna at the same time? or can you have two run through a switch box of some sort and turn on one for the hills and one for the flats?

Yes you can buy coax swithches to switch between 2-3 antennas if you really want. (Think of garden hose with a two way switch). They isolate one antenna while using the other.

But for everyday use this is overkill for UHF CB. I think GME offer a "plug and play" system where you can screw on an extra section or different whip to the antenna to increase gain from say 3db to 6db.
MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR on Sun May 09, 2010 8:48 am

NaffX214 wrote:I've always wondered that CD - the truckies seem to have a few aerials and I couldn't imagine them having more than one radio...

Some truckies will have UHF, 27mhz, mobile phone and company radios + scanners etc.

Some do co-phase two antennas to give a better radiation pattern which is otherwise affected by the mass of the truck. Again this is complex and not worth the effort on your Triton.
MN GLXR

Postby subi_man on Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 am

So.... those B&S utes with 5,6 or 7 aerials are really just trying to get the best range from their radio, mobile phone and scanner?!! and here's me thinking they might have been posers :lol: :lol:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby kevin on Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 am

^ prolly the only things they can mount! :lol:
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby sam on Sun May 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Does anyone know if the GME TX 3100 and TX 3340 have the provision to plug in a remote speaker as I looking at one of these and are concerned that if I tuck it away somewhere out of sight we wont be able to hear it very well . :? :?:

Also what are peoples thoughts on the Unidens as the local ARB blokes reckon to stay away from them :?
sam

Postby Joe on Sun May 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Was told the same thing sam by TJM.

Installed this Oricom UHF050 yesterday. Happy so far, seems like good solid contruction with a 3 year warranty. Radio, aerial and aerial bracket for under the price of a GME but with more features.

Click to view larger picture
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Naff on Sun May 09, 2010 6:05 pm

no no subi - i think the B&S utes are just being posers/tools/etc. :lol:

Why install CAT mudflaps on a commodore............ seriously!
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Sun May 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Looks pretty good joe, what did it set you back and do they reckon they are as good as the GME's :? :?:
sam

Postby ag9111 on Sun May 09, 2010 6:41 pm

sam wrote:Also what are peoples thoughts on the Unidens as the local ARB blokes reckon to stay away from them :?

I have had a Uniden UH-090 for about 8 years and in three different vehicles. Units are still being sold. Never had a problem. This unit has dual banding and operates on 40ch UHF as well as 40ch AM which is the old CB radio channel from 20 years ago. A lot of truckies still operate this AM frequency and I need it as my customers have the AM band on their loaders that fill the semi's. I need to contact these loaders when I am entering their work zone's. Just swap aerials and the coax lead between HF(AM) or UHF and away I go. Have noticed that I do not get the range that the newer radios are getting, I can hear them but they cant hear me sort of thing, but not worth the cost of getting a new radio for the amount of time that I use it in UHF mode. This radio is a 3/4 Din unit and should have been a full din to get the best range I suppose. As I said my radio is 8 odd years old though and never had a problem so I'm happy with Uniden. Wouldn't trust ARB though as they will flog their own gear. Talk to a decent communication company that sells all makes and see what comes back. Thats what I did 8 years ago and they recommended Uniden. Then bought the unit over the internet cheaper than the comms company could supply it. The salesman said go for it.

Couple of B&S units running around were I live, and not all their aerials are hooked. Just posses :roll: :lol:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Sun May 09, 2010 7:06 pm

sam wrote:Looks pretty good joe, what did it set you back and do they reckon they are as good as the GME's :? :?:

I had my heart set on a GME, but TJM managed to sell me on this unit. It is supposed to be as good as GME only with more features for the money. I had never heard of the brand but 3 years warranty sounds good. The unit cost me $219. The GME unit is around $430, so for the cost of a GME I got the radio and a 4.5dba aerial. The unit certainly looks the goods. The body is full metal and all the connections are screw in type, not phone type.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby MN GLXR on Sun May 09, 2010 7:15 pm

GME, Uniden, Oricom they are all OK radios for yor 4x4.

But as noted in another thread, UHF is moving to 80ch (12.5khz spacing instead of 25khz). So getting an Icom IC400 pro where you can program the frequencies and power :D will be worth the extra $$ to futureproof your radio. Apart from that, they are military spec quality - bullet proof.

Ha, have you guessed that I have one yet... :o
MN GLXR

Postby Naff on Sun May 09, 2010 7:35 pm

I've got the IC400.. got it from work when i got all the handhelds.. figured out how to program it, just not the extra power.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Sun May 09, 2010 8:11 pm

MN GLXR wrote:GME, Uniden, Oricom they are all OK radios for yor 4x4.

But as noted in another thread, UHF is moving to 80ch (12.5khz spacing instead of 25khz). So getting an Icom IC400 pro where you can program the frequencies and power :D will be worth the extra $$ to futureproof your radio. Apart from that, they are military spec quality - bullet proof.

Ha, have you guessed that I have one yet... :o

When is this change meant to be happening and does it mean radio's like GME, Uniden and Oricom will be redundent or will you be able to get them upgraded :? :?:
sam

Postby MN GLXR on Mon May 10, 2010 5:33 am

Not sure that the Aust Comms and Media Auth'y (ACMA) has put any changes in law yet - they are considering proposals to free up space in the 400Mhz band. But if they do, existing CB's will continue to work on the existing 40 ch, but simply wont have access to the other 40 as they will be positioned between the existing channels.

I cannot imagine every person with a CB replacing it overnight so the change will be long term and people will continue to use ch40 etc for highway.
MN GLXR

Postby mff64 on Mon May 10, 2010 9:24 am

This is where i put mt TX3100, can see it clearly when driving and mounted a extension speaker down in front of the gear leaver. The only aerial i use is a Polar 6.5db spring base, I put one on my last Pajero and it was there for over 10 years and was still working well when i sold it :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"DROUGHTMASTERS" Australia's own
Eat more beef and be happy :-)
mff64

Postby contact on Fri May 14, 2010 7:31 pm

NaffX214 wrote:I've got the IC400.. got it from work when i got all the handhelds.. figured out how to program it, just not the extra power.

was it difficult to program? and whats been the difficulty getting the extra 20watts?
contact

Postby monkeyp000 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm

eBay have the Oricom UHF050 for $180 - free delivery. Not a bad deal.

:arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ORICOM-UHF050-40 ... 35a9488e44
monkeyp000

Postby Moanaman on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:33 am

CD the short answer to that is NO, but that is not quite truthful. You can have 2 identical antennas wired with what we call a harness and used by ham radio operators. Usually these are 2 yagi type antenna (multi element beams) used for Satellite and moon bounce operations 2 specialized modes used by hams. Definitely not suitable for mobile operations.

Barry G ex VK5UI
Moanaman

Postby kevin on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:18 am

This thread has been very useful for my CB install yesterday - thanks (not quite finished yet and will do write up for MN GLX-R Auto when done) - but - a warning, the front of the rear console sits on top of the back end of the front console and it needs to removed but pulling it straight up as there are two vertical posts/clips to pop out (one on each side). I tried to remove mine by lifting the back of the rear console and pulling up and back - snapped the posts (bugger). Also, sitting on top of the transmission tunnel and under the dash is the airbag control module (not the bluetooth unit as in other models) so be careful.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
kevin

Postby JamoGLXR on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:16 pm

not sure of how many other people used the Gromit on the Drivers side. But i replaced my Whip antenna with a fibreglass one and had a hard time putting the gromit back in. After 10 mins of frustrated swearing because of the damn small space my hand was in, my old man shook his head and dissappeared into the shed came back with a little white tub of Vaseline. i put a small amount on the sides and it just popped in.. Damn old Dog and his old tricks.. he coulda told me 2 cars ago! :evil: :evil: .

in hindsight i should have used the other bigger cable entry its much easier and i could have just cut and connected a new coax section but im a believer in less joints the better
i spose it goes for most grommits that dont quite want to fit back in the original hole. but a small amount of Vaseline Jelly is the bomb.

It is one of lifes lessons i have learned if u cant force it in, just use more lube :lol:
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby kevin on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Washing up detergent (sometimes with a little water) works well too and when it dries it helps seal things too. (us old dogs don't need to learn new tricks - the old ones suit us just fine :lol: )
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
kevin

Postby MN GLXR on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:39 am

If you have no vasso or dishwashing liquid, a bit of old fashioned spit can help too. :o
MN GLXR

Postby T-bags1992 on Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi, just trying to install a UHF and don't want to go alll the way to the battery with the 24v anyone got the cigarette lighter out easy? Can't pop it..
T-bags1992

uhf install

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 29, 2012 6:51 pm

I think it has to rotate - the hole has a notch/ key in it. Not that I've taken mine out. Did you mean 24? Twice the volts the lighter will have
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 29, 2012 7:25 pm

T-bags, here are a couple of threads which discuss power to the UHF:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10776

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4630

I think the consensus is that taking power from the cigarette lighter isn't the ideal choice.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks