$5000 to spend on upgrades.

$5000 to spend on upgrades.

Postby tondo12 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Ill apologize now, if the this has ever been done before, but just need some assistance with where to start.
So far my 2013 MN GLX is stock (canopy nudge bar fitted). Im about to pump some money it to my truck and wnt to see if 5K is enough.

1st. I want to put a 2" inch for a smoother ride and better control. Who would people recommend and what prices would I be looking at.
2nd dual battery system. Fit unber the bonnett or in the tray. What are peoples preferences?
3rd. Ill putting a rear step on along with towing, ive been looking around and have a idea what I want, is there any u ahould stuck away from?

Also mounting on a tub liner, if i do mount anything on the tub liner should ensure it goes through metal.

The only reason i ask all the above question is i just want to see what people recommend, im not very mechanical minded so when I do go shopping I can sound like I know what im talking about.

Any suggestions would be great.
tondo12

Re: $5000 to spend on upgrades.

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:41 am

Yep, been done a hundred times before. But every one is a little different and members love to tell someone else how to spend their money.

So, I'll start the ball rolling....

1. Suspension.
With a $5K total budget you don't want to blow it all on suspension. That means that the fancy remote reservoir type systems may be outside your reach, unless you compromise on something else. First, don't buy just on price. There are cheap systems out there but there are also a lot of people who've had to spend again on this major cost item because they went cheap in the first place. You'll want good quality, long warranty and a supplier who has a good reputation. Sometimes people may think I'm on Ultimate's payroll but, really, they tick all the boxes and I'd guess that maybe 80% of the members of this forum have made this choice. That's a lot of suspensions fitted and a lot of experience developing a product that is pretty good but still very competitive on price. Budget around $2K

2. Dual battery system
About a zillion options here. Almost all will work just fine, depending on your needs. I went with a Matson with programmable VSR and Supercharge 120ah AGM battery. Mounted in the rear because I'd used the extra space under bonnet for a compressor for the front locker. With cable (6GA) and fuses plus various fittings it ran out at a shade over $500. Budget around $700.

3. Rear step
Very subjective this one. I like the ARB style but I think that you still lose some towing capacity (may be wrong?). The TJM and Ironman options are also popular and are cheaper. Anywhere from $800-$1500 depending. Just avoid the real cheapies that may not have the towing capacity that you need.

Always mount through the tub liner and through the metal behind, making sure that you use very large washers to spread the load.

Have fun shopping. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kxboss on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:03 am

hi mate
I went the factory tub liner cheaper and better quality.
TJM rear step tow bar is awesome about 1.00 fitted
Ironman bull bar and a winch.
tjm battery trau I got batteries under bonnet
kxboss

Postby tondo12 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Yep, been done a hundred times before. But every one is a little different and members love to tell someone else how to spend their money.So, I'll start the ball rolling....

1. Suspension.
With a $5K total budget you don't want to blow it all on suspension. That means that the fancy remote reservoir type systems may be outside your reach, unless you compromise on something else. First, don't buy just on price. There are cheap systems out there but there are also a lot of people who've had to spend again on this major cost item because they went cheap in the first place. You'll want good quality, long warranty and a supplier who has a good reputation. Sometimes people may think I'm on Ultimate's payroll but, really, they tick all the boxes and I'd guess that maybe 80% of the members of this forum have made this choice. That's a lot of suspensions fitted and a lot of experience developing a product that is pretty good but still very competitive on price. Budget around $2K

2. Dual battery system
About a zillion options here. Almost all will work just fine, depending on your needs. I went with a Matson with programmable VSR and Supercharge 120ah AGM battery. Mounted in the rear because I'd used the extra space under bonnet for a compressor for the front locker. With cable (6GA) and fuses plus various fittings it ran out at a shade over $500. Budget around $700.

3. Rear step
Very subjective this one. I like the ARB style but I think that you still lose some towing capacity (may be wrong?). The TJM and Ironman options are also popular and are cheaper. Anywhere from $800-$1500 depending. Just avoid the real cheapies that may not have the towing capacity that you need.

Always mount through the tub liner and through the metal behind, making sure that you use very large washers to spread the load.

Have fun shopping. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, very helpfull.
tondo12

Postby Kuff on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:25 am

Might be good to mention what you going to be using the vehicle for.

As for tub liner can I recommend a spray on. You won't get any of the rubbing then rusting problems.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby tondo12 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:10 am

Kuff wrote:Might be good to mention what you going to be using the vehicle for.

As for tub liner can I recommend a spray on. You won't get any of the rubbing then rusting problems.

Sorry gents, I have a Tub liner installed already. should have mentioned it.
Just wondering what is the best way to anchor anything in the tray.
tondo12

Postby tondo12 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:58 am

Mostly my truck is used on sand. Fraser island mostly
tondo12

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:11 am

My first mod would be Tony's EGR mod to keep your engine clean through it's life.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Tasc4life on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:09 pm

I am picking up my MQ GLX tomorrow, and was recently faced with the same drama!

I went with;

Ironman deluxe bull bar
Ironman side rails and steps
Ironman 9500lb winch with rope
Ironman 2 inch foam cell suspension (still have to lock in performance or constant load)
Triple M alloy tray (1840w x 1650l)
Custom aluminium canopy, three doors, two windows, central locking and lift off system (size to fit tray bed)
Aranda towbar assembly

Originally I had planned on keeping the tub and throwing on a standard canopy but figured this would be bigger, and way more practical when camping ect!

Can't wait to get it all fitted! I'll start a build thread I think once I take delivery!

Good luck with whatever you end up going with! One thing I've always thought is get everything protected first, then worry about the other things! Nothing worse than putting rails and bull bars (or rear step) over a damaged panel!
Tasc4life

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Homer wrote:My first mod would be Tony's EGR mod to keep your engine clean through it's life.

X2, plus an Ultra-gauge or similar to monitor engine temps etc. You should also consider under body protection but that shouldn't be much of a concern if your only rolling on the beach.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Greta choice I love my Ironman stuff.,
kxboss

Postby Tasc4life on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:09 pm

kxboss wrote:Greta choice I love my Ironman stuff.,

I can't wait!

Do you have their suspension at all? Not finding much out there to help me in terms of people who have their suspension on the tritons..

I really like the side rails, how they don't just have massive lugs hanging down for each mounting bracket!

I would have went with their rear tow assembly over any other too, very neat and tucked up higher and shorter than most!! But went with the alloy tray option and a standard tow bar.
Tasc4life

Return to Tips & Tricks