Fitting Fog Lights and GLX-R Stalk to a ML VR, MN GLX/GLR

Re: Tech Article-Fitting Fog Lights and GLXR Fog Switch to a

Postby aus_andyk on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Gregory,

Not questioning your methodology, but have you also included the relay in the under bonnet fuse box, as per previous instructions, in your workings?

I have a PC Challenger, so it is slightly different, but this solution will not work without the relay.

Cheers
Andy
aus_andyk

Postby Gregory on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi Andy yes I have the rely under the bonnet as if I sun a power wire to the wire I have installed the lights work, it seems to have no power coming out of the fuse box where the wire is connected into the grey plug if that's makes sence
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby ag9111 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:55 pm

have you installed the fuse?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gregory on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:48 am

ag9111 wrote:have you installed the fuse?

I have put the relay in in the fuse box under the bonnet, that's the only one I am aware of
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby ag9111 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:01 pm

You also need a fuse in position 17 in the relay box under the bonnet

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gregory on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 am

ag9111 wrote:You also need a fuse in position 17 in the relay box under the bonnet

Yes that fuse is there from factory,
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}
I have connected a wire to plug c33 and have connected power to this wire and the fog lights are working.
The trouble I am having is from the c219 plug, I have installed a wire into pin 67 of plug c219, have installed the GLXR light stalk and I don't have any power coming from pin 67, I am wondering if maybe that the GLX wiring looms aren't all the same,
Has anyone have any ideas
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby Katant308 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Did you get it working Gregory
Katant308

Postby Gregory on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Katant308 wrote:Did you get it working Gregory

Hi Katant308 no I haven't got it working as yet, it looks like with following all the detail that is posted that maybe there is no power to the stalk to activate the lights, I have narrowed down to this point as if I run a power wire directly to the extra wire the lights work. It has me totally stumped my triton is a GLX MY14
Cheers
Greg
Gregory

Postby Katant308 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:05 am

Same ute as mine I want to do this as well I have the arb bull bar looks funny with the empty slots for the lights but no point doing this if it don't work shame really as having factory stalk/switch would be less clutter and look neater
Katant308

Postby Katant308 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Any luck yet greg
Katant308

Postby Ca982 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Just used the guide worked fine on my 2015 mn glx only thing that didn't work was the indicator light any ideas how to get that working aswell (maybe just missing the globe?
Ca982

wiring fog lamps in GLX

Postby HarryB50 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:58 pm

Would appreciate some help on this. I have an MN GLX and am trying to put fog lamps in using the existing wiring, which looked possible after looking through manuals, physically checking the wiring, and this forum. There's even a 15A fuse in the #17 slot in the engine fuse box already.
Steps taken:
1. Replaced standard light/indicator stalk with GLX-R stalk with the fog light switch
2. Checked fog lamp relay slot for power (yep - both circuits), so put in a relay (standard MR588567)
3. Connected a test lamp to the LH fog lamp connector that was already there
4. Switched Fog Lamp switch to ON/OFF - no reaction... tried with ignition OFF, ACC and ON. No go.

I bypassed the Fog Lamp switch and tested the switching circuit of the relay by earthing pin 2 while in the slot (the fog lamp switch itself works through earthing). OK, it switched the power circuit and the test light went on - BUT, the Fog Lamp indicator lamp inside didn't light up...which I would have expected.

Apart from maybe some sort of non-connection between the relay and the Fog Lamp switch, can anyone tell me if I missed something?
HarryB50

Re: wiring fog lamps in GLX

Postby coughy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:28 pm

it looks as tho the etacs controls the relay
u might need to enable it with a mut 3
so that the car now knows that u have fog lights in the system

plug c-40 should have a black ,with a blue trace from fog relay to etacs to pin 67 of plug c-219
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:58 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:40 pm

Yes, CD's third link, above, has the real answer which is that, depending on which model you have it may be too hard because the essential bit of wiring to the ETACS is missing, as is some wiring under the fuse box. As ag9111 said, unless you're a sparky and/or enjoy designing and building circuit boards then the simpler dash switch might be a better solution.

In my Pajero the fogs are controlled by a double dash switch but for fun and a different function that I wanted, I fitted a stalk from a Triton with the fog light switch. Because it was never needed the Pajero is also missing the essential link from the stalk so I had to build a control box using latching relay circuit boards which take the momentary signal from the stalk and convert that to a normal on/off function that then drives relays which, in turn operate the under bonnet relays. Too complex and I wouldn't bother posting the details which also include using a factory momentary switch to control an aftermarket front locker.

There may be other solutions so take CD's advice and put up some diagrams. You may be able to use some of what I did so that the stalk controls the foglights, but not through the ETACS. Problem I saw with that is that it was difficult to have the tell-tale on the instrument panel operate to tell you the fogs are on.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby HarryB50 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Am going through them now and will advise.
HarryB50

Postby HarryB50 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

BTW, these are my first posts, so please bear with me.. I have graphics to attach but I guess that the administrator has not allowed attachments, as I can't just Paste them in. I see Choady's photos were on Photobucket - does this mean I have to do something similar?
HarryB50

Postby HarryB50 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:05 am

CD, I just read your first link. I had seen Choady's 2009 notes when I was researching, although not this particular link, which (thank you!) shows the excellent photos, etc. - great job Choady!
I did exactly the same as Choady, but no go - there's no 12V at the green lamp connector.
Maybe there have been circuit changes between his VR model and my MN GLX?

Until I can send the actual graphics:
From the workshop manual PDF (let me know if you want a copy and how to do it) "MITSUBISHI TRITON L200 12MY_Workshop_Manual.pdf", there are 2 circuit diagrams - one with and one without the relay. There are no other differences between the diagrams - even the Column Switch is the same (includes the Fog switch).

From the symptoms, there is a possibility:
1. In Connector C-33, pins 2 and 3 may not be connected through. C-33 is in a really difficult spot - looks like it might be up and behind a Junction box (ETACS-ECU?) behind the passenger kick panel ("Cowl side trim"), although I haven't been able to see it yet. From the circuit diagram, a non-connection there would explain perfectly why both the fog lamp or instrument light don't come on (BTW I am assuming there is a light there) when you flick the fog lamp switch ON.
But it doesn't seem logical and frankly too much trouble to make a special effort in NOT connecting them at the factory - it means you have to have a separate loom and most times I think the makers just use the one type for all models for inventory and error issues.

I know I'm going to a lot of trouble here - it's a lot easier to just whack in a relay and switch running off the headlight power - but to me it's an elegant solution, to use existing materials, not have to make holes or push extra wires in through bodywork and put in more switches - and I don't like to be beaten on such a thing like this. I would understand if you all told me it's too much hard work..

I'm going back and having another look and test of the system.
HarryB50

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:32 am

There are definitely different dash looms for the GLX, the VR, and the GLXr models.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:29 pm

How closely matched are you finding the wiring diagrams?

One possible issue is that the online workshop manuals can be marginally different to the Australian ones. Usually it's just wiring colours don't match, but pin placements in the plugs usually stay the same. Then of course in some markets there are additional connectors for additional things.

I recently discovered mine has something called a Nordic wiring harness. I still don't know what that means but I meant to go back and try and few more vins to see what other variants there might be.

It is probably time that we collectively found the answer to this problem, but I honestly thought I'd read somewhere that there was someone who had done it. Maybe it was a different model but either way it will be buried around here somewhere.

If you want to email the PDFs to me at cowboy_dave@newtriton.net I can post them for you later, or make images out of them for easier posting.

Also I can get you the Australian equivalent diagrams which may reveal something extra.

Cowboy Dave

Postby damo83 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Harry,
Have you added the extra wire from the ETACS to the ECU per sijmen's post on page 2 (about 1/2 way down) in the first link provided by CD?
damo83

Postby HarryB50 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:10 pm

CD, they seem pretty close - maybe this might be the first difference.

From the manual I have, there are some differences noted (like Russia/Eastern Europe countries, and Morocco, of all places). Perhaps I have a Euro version of the manual?
The PDF manual is 236MB, which usually means mailboxes don't like them - too big. I'll work out a way of getting it available for the forum (Photobucket, which I've just joined, doesn't do PDFs).
I'll convert and see if I can post the particular PDF pages as JPGs.
Here goes:
Click to view larger picture
HarryB50

Postby HarryB50 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:12 pm

CD, PS - would appreciate any diagrams you may have..
HarryB50

Postby andriesvdv on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi HarryB50, did this mod successfully to my 2013 GLX.
See post by sijmen viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3330&start=25#p356256
andriesvdv

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Okay it sounds like we're getting close, 2 different blokes referring to the same answer. :D

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks