Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby Walter.kissling on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 am

Alex I sent you a message, don't know if you got it?
Walter.kissling

Postby TritonSteve on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:28 pm

OK, after a lot of thought the following has occurred to me.

It looks like the fault code is being thrown because incorrect intake pressue is being detected with the cutoff is in place.
Probably caused by the throttle butterfly being closed,
the engine management is expecting the egr to be open but it isnt so a pretty hefty vaccuum is probably being created in the intake manifold.
We cant just vent the EGR crossover tube to allow atmospheric air in and cancel the vaccuum because then we will lose boost pressure and the shut down feature of the throttle.

How about we run an equaliser pipe from the EGR crossover to the intake ducting before the throttle body? It would have to be about the same diameter as the EGR pipe.
It would need to have a shutoff flap activated from the ignition as well.

This kills a few birds with one stone.
1. Fault codes should stop - when throttle is closed pressure is equalized through EGR crossover pipe but sensors will indicate throttle is doing as it should.
2. Still allows throttle shutoff of engine - no run-on.
3. EGR blanking plate can remain in position. Equalizing air comes from filtered intake. No crap in engine.

Its a bit of a complex solution though. It would be easiest if we could program the ECU to only close the throttle on shutdown. The throttle power switch to the accellerator is a good idea, but as noted will generate fault codes.

The other solution is Install's MAP sensor bypass (boost cut module). This would stop the ECU noticing the intake manifold pressure problems, no codes.
Last edited by TritonSteve on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TritonSteve

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Lots of interesting thoughts there Steve.
The idea of taking air upstream from the throttle valve for the EGR instead of exhaust would work seamlessly. There are 2 problems with it though. After a quick look at mine and I'm sure the 2.5 has the same hardware, you would have to tee into the SS tube above the blanking plate and that + the tube to the inlet hose would stand out like dog's balls with no chance of returning it to standard for any warranty claims.
The other important point is that both RHK and Alex have been driving with the throttle butterfly left open and like the results. They even agree that the shut down is no problem.
Out of all the ideas so far I like RHK's time delay thingy fitted to the power lead for the throttle motor. So it stays powered up for a short time, long enough to start it up after glowing and then disconnects the power. So the ECU checks everything and it's all cool but it shuts off after and stays that way until it's turned back on the next time.
Alex's experience has shown the ECU doesn't detect it being off later.

Which lead, how long a delay[10sec?] and where do we buy a delay thingy?

Unless anyone has a better solution?

I've ordered a Scan Gauge $189 + $15[ del. and ins] in case the 2.5 is in any way different and spits the dummy but I very much doubt it is or will.
sierra

Postby new44 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:31 pm

`delay thingy` should be easy enough...

There are many small electronic gadgety type thingys sold by industrial automation supply type businesses
that may do the job. Just need to know volts amps and time needed....
new44

Postby sierra on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:40 pm

new44 wrote:`delay thingy` should be easy enough...
There are many small electronic gadgety type thingys sold by industrial automation supply type businesses
that may do the job. Just need to know volts amps and time needed....

12v
10sec
?amps?
Which of the 2 green wires? Both 12v.
:?
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:31 pm

When i get time...( I got to work both days of the weekend interstate this week.. Fu*K) Im gona dissconect those 12V wires and see if it throws a code. The 5 volt im sure in the plug is for the ecu and butterfly position and the 12V wires are to drive the servo motors in the throttle body. If I take those 12V wires out of the plug and the ECU is fine and throw no code we are all sweet as a nut... Someone go do it now and report back.. :D

Click to view larger picture
GLX-R Alex

Postby Greedy on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:21 pm

I finally got around to taking the car in (enough warranty issues to make it worth my while) to check why there is so much vibration through the cabin at idle. This started happening about 40K. I thought the service at 45K might fix it up but to no avail. My blanking plate was fitted at the 45K service as well. It's now done 50K with no issues (lights, codes or limpys) other than the excessive vibration. The dealer now thinks he has to take the inlet manifold off and clean it out (apparently a 2 day job :shock: ) to get rid of the vibration. He does know about the blanking plate and said "at least I'll only have to do it once". So now to find another 2 days without the car. :x
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:30 pm

They should give you a loaner for a 2 day fix.
I'm sure you could get one.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:38 pm

I will be insisting on it this time. Most times they scare me off by wanting me to pay upfront for the loaner saying they'll reimburse me if it warrants it. I'm not giving those mongrels anything up front. Having said that, they usually give me a lift to work when I drop it off so only need to organise the ride back to the dealer. My car hasn't been in overnight before

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TritonSteve on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Another thought I have had is to get a throttle body from a wrecker and either remove the butterfly from the spindle or drill a couple of 10mm holes in it. Replace your good one (so you can switch it back if you need to) and see how it goes. Even just the holes should allow enough air in to stop the limp mode, and apart from that the ECU should think all is hunky dory. Unless it checks MAP with both EGR and throttle butterflies closed?
TritonSteve

Postby TritonSteve on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:01 pm

The quote of $550 for a throttle body from a wrecker is putting me off this plan at the moment. :o
TritonSteve

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:18 pm

Righto… ETC = Electronic Throttle Control, AKA throttle body.
RC = resistor capacitor combination.

Simple circuit… easiest way is to run a relay with a RC combination for your time.

Rewire the 12 V ETC through a normally closed relay. Connect a RC combination for the time you would like for the relay switch. When Acc power is started, the RC circuit switches the relay to open (after a RC time) and no more throttle body power. IE. 1000 uF x 10 kohms would delay 10-20 seconds. I.E. at 10 seconds the relay would have 67% of the voltage connected to the RC circuit.

Only problem I can see is there’s no power to close ETC at engine turn off, and with no 12V the ETC may throw a code, and would be left swinging in the wind, depending on what sort of motor they use.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:32 pm

It only seems to check the ETC on start up.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:31 am

Yes.. Sorry ive been in Adelade for work and back there on Saturday and Sunday. :cry: So i havent had a chance to look at it yet.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Walter.kissling on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:56 am

Guys I made my blocking plate out of a very thin iron sheet. Do you know around how hot it gets in there, because I think it might have melted...
Walter.kissling

Postby mad992 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:00 am

Walter.kissling wrote:Guys I made my blocking plate out of a very thin iron sheet. Do you know around how hot it gets in there, because I think it might have melted...

:oops:
mad992

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:48 pm

The ones i made were from stainless steel sheet..
GLX-R Alex

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:46 pm

I booked my ute if for its 45000 km service today and had a long chat with the bloke there.We talked about my fuel economy and I told him it was about 15L/100km. He said they are now checking and replacing the lower inlet manifold as some of them are so full of carbon they cannot be cleaned out properly. I asked him about blocking the EGR valve and he smile at me...."we can't do anything but it will do no harm to your ute and will solve the carbon problem." was his reply.

I have had one of GLX-R Alex's blanking plates for a few months and will finally fit it after they do the service.
Last edited by FreestyleCab on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby mad992 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:34 pm

ive booked my ute on thursday for its 15000klm service, advisor said they have a whole heap of the new manifolds (120 to be exact) in brisbane at the moment and they have one for me :D so they will fit it for me under warrenty,it wont solve the carbon problem but it will stop the map sensor picking up all that carbon so will see how that goes ,might even think about putting blanking plate back in if that damn light doesnt come back on :x
mad992

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 am

has anyone with a EGT temp gauge fitted a EGR blank? if so has there been any differance in temps?
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby daryn on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 am

Very interesting observation for me anyway:

nb. Snorkel fitted.

With egr plate fitted, snorkel makes horrible noise, like kid weasing, asthma, when coming off boost (I think).

With egr plate removed (back to normal), snorkel has throatier sound, no weasing, much better sounding.

What does this observation mean if anything at all ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 am

With the EGR plate fitted, try disconnecting the throttle valve electrical connector 'after' you start the engine and listen to the intake?
If you pull the plug before starting the check engine sequence will throw the check engine light.
If you have a Scangauge it only takes a few secs to clear the light after starting. I keep forgetting and clear it on the move which isn't the best way to do it.
The large throttle butterfly remains fully open without power and the boost is positive on a trailing throttle, connected it's negative at that point as the butterfly must close and limit flow to the turbine[boost from pumping?] also restricting that latent boost from reaching the cylinders until the butterfly opens again, 'after' it powers up with fuel. Hence the quicker response and reduced engine braking.
Theory only!
:D
sierra

Postby daryn on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Don't have scanguage Sierra.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 am

I've now done 8K with the EGR blocked and got my first limp mode this morning. I didn't try turning the car off to reset so hopefully it'll be fine this arvo. Booked in to the dealers to check for codes and because I like to annoy them. :P

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:51 pm

I have been running with the throttle plug disconnected now for months and EGR blokked, Not a limp home mode now...That is the solution if you can delete your ECL
GLX-R Alex

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks