Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby coxy47 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Newguy wrote: After the work i think i will get 950-1100Km Tank, I carry 4-500Kg with figures about 1L more.
Hauls ass i Reckon. Specially in 4th from 60Ks... :lol:

950-1100km per tank :shock: :shock:

And i was happy with around 750 if i run it right down. Usually get just over 600 before the light

srb wrote::shock: Wow i can only dream about getting those figures you guys are sporting! Are these km's taken with a GPS? Cause if your on stock tyres you speedo will be telling you lies. :? Around town I usually get about 550 -580km's before the light comes on. The weight I carry and heavier tyres must have something to do with It cause I used to get 750+ with standard tyres an empty tray and no ladders on my roof. :roll:

Opps off topic! :oops: Back on topic... Blank plate = no carbon, EGR, Throttle flap bypass bla bla... :P

Speedo will be telling lies but for some stupid reason the ADR's regarding odometer variances are much stricter then the speedo. Only allowed 1-2% or something at most. Hence the odometer is usally more accurate on stock tyres. I no mine was :lol:
coxy47

Postby Newguy on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:51 am

I Will GPS it, but i do get the Ks i reckon.

Also i think it is a good idea if your MAF Sensor was Dirty and you cleaned it.
Only do this when it's cold.
Turn the Key off and pull it out.
Disconnect the Ground turn the key to acc turn the lights on, turn the key off then fully on for a minute or two.
Then back off and out, reconnect the battery and i reckon it made a noticeable difference.
After a drive till its hot

Glad that EGR is Blocked off now
Newguy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Now that I've got a scangauge hooked up, I'm noticing that the BST reading (set to PSI) reads -0.1—-1.0 at various times - normally at idle and sometimes when off throttle.

From what I can gather blocking the EGR causes negative pressure (somehow) in the MAP sensor hose and I think the manifold, which is what throws the engine codes sometimes.

Can any others with boost reading ability verify that a slight negative BST reading is normal when the EGR has been fully blanked? (to remind, I also have a one way valve in the MAP sensor hose)?

I'd be interested to know what readings some of others get, say at idle and off throttle.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Got 2 limpy's in 2 days :( so decided to pull the blank out and run around without it for awhile.....but after reading
throgh these pages i got spooked :shock: into putting it back in.....but this time with the 6mm hole drilled in the plate
soooo hopefully no more codes. ;)

Does anyone know how much carbon/soot goes through the 6mm hole' or is it not really worring about as it's
such a small amount over the life of the engine.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Kegsy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:13 pm

dont drill a hole in the blank... pointless.

Do the Throttle body bypass mod. No limps.

Several ways to do it, have a search and you'll see there is about 4 work arounds for this problem on the MN.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 pm

odie602r wrote:Now that I've got a scangauge hooked up, I'm noticing that the BST reading (set to PSI) reads -0.1—-1.0 at various times - normally at idle and sometimes when off throttle.

From what I can gather blocking the EGR causes negative pressure (somehow) in the MAP sensor hose and I think the manifold, which is what throws the engine codes sometimes.

Can any others with boost reading ability verify that a slight negative BST reading is normal when the EGR has been fully blanked? (to remind, I also have a one way valve in the MAP sensor hose)?

I'd be interested to know what readings some of others get, say at idle and off throttle.

You are still going to get negative readings at idle, over-run and at very light loads, even with the one valve valve but those minus wont be as low as they were.
The EGR valve supplies high pressure to the manifold. When you block it off it has to be at lower pressure than it was and an extreme[low] reading can excede the limits of the ECU, causing a fault code.

My ML 2.5 blanked without a one way valve has never triggered a code but I do get negative pressure readings.
It should read 0psi when you turn it off at home if you set it at that altitude.
Mine reads -0.1psi at idle
-0.2 to -0.4 on the over-run
Up to -1.2psi at 50kph in 4th on the level. This light throttle cruising, is what seems to trigger a fault and you can see why with the scanguage etc.

The main purpose of the throttle valve is to cause a lower manifold pressure when the EGR valve is open to increase the flow through it. Suck it in if you like.
It does close completely on shut down too.
sierra

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Kegsy wrote:dont drill a hole in the blank... pointless.

Do the Throttle body bypass mod. No limps.

Several ways to do it, have a search and you'll see there is about 4 work arounds for this problem on the MN.

Totally agree and when you look at the guts of the valve itself, a 6mm hole might still flow close to the original anyway.
If I ever buy another diesel the first priority will be blocking off the EGR and the second will be fitting a catch can, sorry, engine breather oil filter. ;)
sierra

Postby christocv on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:02 pm

hi guys,

two years ago,i put in a DPchip and did the exhust blank. i used to get the limp modes,and no cruise control.took it to mitsubishi,who wanted to buy new parts and so forth. I was in Dalby for a weekend at the time.No part arrived and had to drive to Brissy.THEN READ ON THE FORUM: TAKE THE NEGATIVE OF THE BATTERY TERMINAL AND LEAVE DISCONNECTED FOR AT LEAST 12 HOURS. Since then,i have not have any codes come up,even after putting on a scotts rod exhaust.
christocv

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

That sounds the easiest solution of all.
Just re-set the ECU. You could get the same result by turning it back on after it's disconnected to drain any residual power I think?
sierra

Postby sierra on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Here's an interesting thing to watch on a scanguage .
On a cold engine, below 55c coolant temp, set the cruise in 5th on the flat at about 66kph and watch the boost and TPS?[throttle valve] %
Mine was 99% = 1.2psi and it stayed at 1.2psi as the % fell to about 30% and then the boost fell rapidly to 0psi at 20% from 58c as it was fully operational.

The same thing at 90kph or 100pkh would be even more interesting, to see how much boost is lost at cruising speed?

So that last bit where the throttle valve shuts down from 30% to 20% does the damage and it makes sense but to watch it strangle the boost really clarifies how that thing needs to be de-activated apart from when it closes for a clean shutdown.
sierra

Postby srb on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:15 pm

sierra wrote:Here's an interesting thing to watch on a scanguage .
On a cold engine, below 55c coolant temp, set the cruise in 5th on the flat at about 66kph and watch the boost and TPS?[throttle valve] %
Mine was 99% = 1.2psi and it stayed at 1.2psi as the % fell to about 30% and then the boost fell rapidly to 0psi at 20% from 58c as it was fully operational.

The same thing at 90kph or 100pkh would be even more interesting, to see how much boost is lost at cruising speed?

So that last bit where the throttle valve shuts down from 30% to 20% does the damage and it makes sense but to watch it strangle the boost really clarifies how that thing needs to be de-activated apart from when it closes for a clean shutdown.

That is interesting. :shock:

I just got back from a trip down the Hume Hwy and can happily say after watching the ultra gauge i wasn't loosing any boost when the throttle valve was closing. :D And my fuel economy is by far the best it's ever been! :D I did 394km on exactly half a tank = 9.5L/100.

I also noticed when cruising at 100kph the throttle flap would sit at it's normal 20% and EGR at 70% and when I increased my cruise to 110-115kph the throttle would stay wide open 99% and the EGR at 89-100% as well :? If I set the cruise back to 100kph it would then be back to it's usual 20% and EGR at 70%? Boost was around 5-6psi, EGT was 480-600degrees and engine coolant temp 98-102 degrees. Love watching the boost smash across to 30psi up a hill section and watching all the cars go bye bye in the mirrors. :lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Hey fellas might have to go with this TB/Butterfly mod ;) (is this correct)
Anyone got a pic of this' wouldn't mind seeing where you put this 'hole' to equalise the
pressure :)

Wouldn't this mod allso be a bit of a dead giveaway to the stealer when it comes to servicing ie: warranty void .....im sure they arn't compleatly stupid if they spot this....."hmmm and what is this then" :geek:
Sky Miner

Postby NTBB on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Here you go sky miner (thanks to Tony) some good pics in Tex's forum guide under the carbon and catch can section
download/file.php?id=1265
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Sky Miner on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Ahh cheers mate :)
Sky Miner

Postby srb on Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Sky Miner wrote:Hey fellas might have to go with this TB/Butterfly mod ;) (is this correct)
Anyone got a pic of this' wouldn't mind seeing where you put this 'hole' to equalise the
pressure :)

Wouldn't this mod allso be a bit of a dead giveaway to the stealer when it comes to servicing ie: warranty void .....im sure they arn't compleatly stupid if they spot this....."hmmm and what is this then" :geek:

Mate IMO drilling a hole in the TB flap is a very crude way to get around this simple problem and it's irreversible. It's just as easy to tee in the one way valve into the map line. And It's very discreet and if your still worried about your dealer seeing it just remove the tee and join the hose with a strait coupling. Too easy! ;)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 01, 2012 4:57 pm

x2 srb - the drillin is a bit brutal and leaves you wide open for a reamming by a dealer, or EPA spot check - the latter will eventually become common as our pollies look for new revenue streams.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Tue May 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Agreed ;) after looking at the Butterfly i just couldn't bring myself around to drilling a hole in it :shock: nah!! that one's not for me :)

And i put a new blank back in.

So could you or anyone show me where this map line is and what type of....oneway valve is used plz ;)
Cheers
Sky Miner

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Sorry I didn't see your other post Sierra (26/4).

It does make a significant difference to the economy when you get up fast through the gears and try and stick in that 1500-2000 rpm range. I've experimented over a couple of days over the regular routes I go and its possible to shave up to 1.5l/100 off the usual consumption.

Another thought guys - has anyone contemplated fitting a Variable Vane Turbo on the 3,2 donk?

That in combination with a well set up auto - like I had with the Vito, makes for a sweet package.

The turbo stays on heat and the transmission is providing continuous drive to the ground.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

RHKTriton wrote:x2 srb - the drillin is a bit brutal and leaves you wide open for a reamming by a dealer, or EPA spot check - the latter will eventually become common as our pollies look for new revenue streams.

thats why i have a 6mm hole in my blanking plate :D
mad992

Postby srb on Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Sky Miner wrote:Agreed ;) after looking at the Butterfly i just couldn't bring myself around to drilling a hole in it :shock: nah!! that one's not for me :)

And i put a new blank back in.

So could you or anyone show me where this map line is and what type of....oneway valve is used plz ;)
Cheers

PM Sent mate.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Sorry I didn't see your other post Sierra (26/4).

It does make a significant difference to the economy when you get up fast through the gears and try and stick in that 1500-2000 rpm range. I've experimented over a couple of days over the regular routes I go and its possible to shave up to 1.5l/100 off the usual consumption.

Another thought guys - has anyone contemplated fitting a Variable Vane Turbo on the 3,2 donk?

That in combination with a well set up auto - like I had with the Vito, makes for a sweet package.

The turbo stays on heat and the transmission is providing continuous drive to the ground.

That's a very impressive result saving 1.5L/100km. It's an easy habit to get into, changing up at 2000rpm, it feels good and you more than keep pace still.

VVT - Wouldn't you have to fit the 2.5HP ECU to drive it?

Could you tell me which wire on the throttle body needs to intercepted with a switch?

Here's another scan gauge result.

80kph below 55c coolant temp.
Throttle valve 99% Boost 4psi
58c
TV 20% Boost 1psi!!!!!!!!
So there's a good example of the thing robbing 3psi of boost. 4psi in the system up to the butterfly and 1psi after.
sierra

Postby srb on Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

mad992 wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:x2 srb - the drillin is a bit brutal and leaves you wide open for a reamming by a dealer, or EPA spot check - the latter will eventually become common as our pollies look for new revenue streams.

thats why i have a 6mm hole in my blanking plate :D

Hole in blanking plate? Why bother having a blanking plate? :lol: Nar each to there own I guess but I just have hard time understanding the logic. :? Sorry mad.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Tue May 01, 2012 9:44 pm

80kph below 55c coolant temp.
Throttle valve 99% Boost 4psi
58c
TV 20% Boost 1psi!!!!!!!!
So there's a good example of the thing robbing 3psi of boost. 4psi in the system up to the butterfly and 1psi after.[/quote]

Hay sierra, I guess this means you'll be doing LR's bypass sooner rather than latter ay. ;)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue May 01, 2012 10:48 pm

srb wrote:Hay sierra, I guess this means you'll be doing LR's bypass sooner rather than latter ay. ;)

No, i'm too lazy :D
I will go with getting the throttle butterfly open all the time. For me it's an easier option, stealthy and gives full boost all the time with no chance of it still being restricted to some degree.

I might pay an auto electrician to wire a switch in and use one of the 2 blanks on the dash for a rocker switch than looks stock. Down on, up off. At least until someone comes up with a better way to turn it off without permanently changing anything.
sierra

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Sierra, pins 5 & 6 in the TB plug are the servo feeds. Should be a black on green and green wire.

Can't remember which one I intercepted, but shouldn't matter. Soon as you open one line the servo drops out.

Looking at the circuit diagram, they use Hall Effect sensors to monitor the flap position (not a resistor as I originally thought).

THis would suggest that there is a metal vane that interacts with the sensors to feed back the flap position.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks