Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby burnah on Wed May 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Nice job 8-)
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Very neat!

You guys that done laps of the engine bay take note...
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Very neat!

You guys that done laps of the engine bay take note...

Yes, it is a neat set up there.
The main inspiration for fitting it way over the other side was to keep away from the turbo to encourage the oil to condense out of the vapour. With the Provent filter that might not be important?
sierra

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Wed May 16, 2012 3:51 pm

is a y peice ok for fitting a one way valve in the map line as I have a y peice laying around being un used
wi53yz_4wd

Postby tsenior on Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

srb wrote:This is all good but I reckon the perfect set up would see the egr valve closed 100% of the time while the throttle flap actuator stays open100% running in all conditions but remembering to close when you shut the engine down. This would be the ultimate solution. 8-)

egr will be closed 100% of the time as it will be blanked at egr cooler end, egr valve will be left to open and close but i will blank at egr motor end for good measure i have copper plate on me that i will make the blanking plates or stainless,

but interested in the throttle valve being open at %100 percent all of the time except shutdown what advantage would you have is there any theories just better all round flow faster turbo response?

in the end it will do what you guys do just another way to do it but just a electronic way of not getting the limp home or error codes, plus not a one way valve to get dirty.

but i have found that someone has already used the ardunio to comunicate with the obdii connection to get to the data
i might just buy the kit they built already to get all the readings i need from the car ecu as it will only cost me $74usa with the lcd readout and the programming already done to read the data just plug and play.
http://www.arduinodev.com/hardware/obd-kit/
tsenior

Postby sierra on Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 pm

tsenior wrote:egr will be closed 100% of the time as it will be blanked at egr cooler end, egr valve will be left to open and close but i will blank at egr motor end for good measure i have copper plate on me that i will make the blanking plates or stainless,

but interested in the throttle valve being open at %100 percent all of the time except shutdown what advantage would you have is there any theories just better all round flow faster turbo response?

in the end it will do what you guys do just another way to do it but just a electronic way of not getting the limp home or error codes, plus not a one way valve to get dirty.

but i have found that someone has already used the ardunio to comunicate with the obdii connection to get to the data
i might just buy the kit they built already to get all the readings i need from the car ecu as it will only cost me $74usa with the lcd readout and the programming already done to read the data just plug and play.

Be careful blanking just under the EGR valve because i'm pretty sure it extends down below the joint in operation.

The throttle valve runs at 20% open for the first 1/4 of the accelerator pedal and then goes fully open[99%]
In reality that means the valve is closed down to 20% during cruising and reduces the boost by 3-4psi in the manifold.
Try unplugging it after the CEL have gone out with the engine still running and plug it back in before you turn off then let us know what you think of any gains?
It's purpose is to reduce manifold pressure while the EGR valve is open to encourage exhaust flow.
sierra

Postby tsenior on Wed May 16, 2012 7:20 pm

sierra wrote: Be careful blanking just under the EGR valve because i'm pretty sure it extends down below the joint in operation.

The throttle valve runs at 20% open for the first 1/4 of the accelerator pedal and then goes fully open[99%]
In reality that means the valve is closed down to 20% during cruising and reduces the boost by 3-4psi in the manifold.
Try unplugging it after the CEL have gone out with the engine still running and plug it back in before you turn off then let us know what you think of any gains?
It's purpose is to reduce manifold pressure while the EGR valve is open to encourage exhaust flow.
/

i wonder if i control the throttle valve to 100% when engine is on and then shut it off at engine turn off it will still shut down lumpy as the throttle valve will be to slow shutting from full open to full closed as when you stop engine is at idle then the throttle valve will only have to shut the last 20% so it would be quick?
tsenior

Postby sierra on Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 pm

tsenior wrote:i wonder if i control the throttle valve to 100% when engine is on and then shut it off at engine turn off it will still shut down lumpy as the throttle valve will be to slow shutting from full open to full closed as when you stop engine is at idle then the throttle valve will only have to shut the last 20% so it would be quick?

How about trying the throttle valve at 20% at idle?
That way it only has a small movement to shut and the 20% at over-run might give some usefull engine braking?
Perhaps start at 60% and keep reducing it in case the over-run has some adverse effect? Mind you, petrol engines have the throttle closed to almost 0% on the over-run so it should be manageable if the MAP pressure doesn't go too low?

Having said that, isn't the throttle body at 99% at idle anyway?
sierra

Postby tsenior on Thu May 17, 2012 3:25 am

not sure ill have a look at mine on sunday and see what the throttle valve is doing at idle, ill have a play and make take measurements of the map sensor at idle when cold and warm to see what base voltage i need to get, im just waiting for a price on some parts of a crashed triton so i can bench test out of the car without having to do it in the engine bay. namely the throttle valve motor, tricking the map sensor is straight forward.
tsenior

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 am

wi53yz_4wd wrote:is a y peice ok for fitting a one way valve in the map line as I have a y peice laying around being un used

anyone share some light on this.
wi53yz_4wd

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby irwazza on Thu May 17, 2012 6:28 am

Couldn't see a problem with that, both achieve the same thing
irwazza

Postby sierra on Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 am

wi53yz_4wd wrote:
wi53yz_4wd wrote:is a y peice ok for fitting a one way valve in the map line as I have a y peice laying around being un used

anyone share some light on this.

Sorry! Meant to reply.
That will do the job just the same. Perfect.
sierra

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Thu May 17, 2012 9:53 am

thanks guys thought it would be ok
wi53yz_4wd

Postby Tim007 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 pm

sierra wrote:
tsenior wrote:egr will be closed 100% of the time as it will be blanked at egr cooler end, egr valve will be left to open and close but i will blank at egr motor end for good measure i have copper plate on me that i will make the blanking plates or stainless,

Be careful blanking just under the EGR valve because i'm pretty sure it extends down below the joint in operation.

I have an ML running Chip it, 3" straight through, snorkel and EGR blank. I started playing around with the throttle body as it was playing havoc with my tune. The drive ability was not very smooth and the noise coming from the snorkel that was being fed back through the intercooler was too loud. Basically until the in opened 100% it was noisy and crap to drive. Once it opened and the throttle stayed about 25% it drove like a dream. That go me thinking so I disconnected the wiring harness to the throttle body and went for a drive. The truck drove awesome. Very smooth, spooling up quicker and the noise was gone. The problem was then the run on at shut down as the valve did not shut. I have since tried drilling holes in the valve which is much better but still a bit of run on. I would love to be able to trick the throttle body to stay open 100% all the time but to close when the ignition it turned off to make shut down smoother. If some one can help me achieve that I owe them a carton or two.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby antoo on Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I have just stumbled over something on the net that might be very significant for electronic solutions, but more broadly even than that. The Denso field manual for the injections system on the 4d56 engine.

There is a full explanation of the entire fuel system and the things the ECU considers in calculating final fuel delivery, detailed diagrams, ecu pins and schematics and more

this is gold ... those who can make use of it really should grab it before it disappears.

www.samgor.ucoz.ru/_ld/0/5_L200_2.5DI-D.pdf
antoo

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby mattz on Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm

8-) nice find. ;)
If only I knew what I was reading. :lol:
That would be valuable for someone that knew what they were doing.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby cookoy on Thu May 17, 2012 5:35 pm

hey antoo, sweet find! this will be a big help for my older mitsu engines, hopefully it's also applicable to the current ones. i'll give it a run thru tonight and show this to my mechanic tomorrow.
cookoy

Postby Kegsy on Thu May 17, 2012 6:50 pm

mattz wrote:8-) nice find. ;)
If only I knew what I was reading. :lol:
That would be valuable for someone that knew what they were doing.

X2 :?
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Thu May 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Tim007 wrote:I have an ML running Chip it, 3" straight through, snorkel and EGR blank. I started playing around with the throttle body as it was playing havoc with my tune. The drive ability was not very smooth and the noise coming from the snorkel that was being fed back through the intercooler was too loud. Basically until the in opened 100% it was noisy and crap to drive. Once it opened and the throttle stayed about 25% it drove like a dream. That go me thinking so I disconnected the wiring harness to the throttle body and went for a drive. The truck drove awesome. Very smooth, spooling up quicker and the noise was gone. The problem was then the run on at shut down as the valve did not shut. I have since tried drilling holes in the valve which is much better but still a bit of run on. I would love to be able to trick the throttle body to stay open 100% all the time but to close when the ignition it turned off to make shut down smoother. If some one can help me achieve that I owe them a carton or two.

That is exactly what some of us are trying to achieve and recently it's starting to seem a possibility with new brains and ideas attacking the problem.
sierra

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby irwazza on Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Do you have a chipit Sierra?
irwazza

Postby Tim007 on Thu May 17, 2012 8:22 pm

sierra wrote:
Tim007 wrote:I have an ML running Chip it, 3" straight through, snorkel and EGR blank. I started playing around with the throttle body as it was playing havoc with my tune. The drive ability was not very smooth and the noise coming from the snorkel that was being fed back through the intercooler was too loud. Basically until the in opened 100% it was noisy and crap to drive. Once it opened and the throttle stayed about 25% it drove like a dream. That go me thinking so I disconnected the wiring harness to the throttle body and went for a drive. The truck drove awesome. Very smooth, spooling up quicker and the noise was gone. The problem was then the run on at shut down as the valve did not shut. I have since tried drilling holes in the valve which is much better but still a bit of run on. I would love to be able to trick the throttle body to stay open 100% all the time but to close when the ignition it turned off to make shut down smoother. If some one can help me achieve that I owe them a carton or two.

That is exactly what some of us are trying to achieve and recently it's starting to seem a possibility with new brains and ideas attacking the problem.

Count me in to work on this or try out some solutions. If we can get this to run correctly it will change the way my trucks runs for the better.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby sierra on Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 am

irwazza wrote:Do you have a chipit Sierra?

Yes but not fitted for some time. I had a problem with the harness connection onto the fuel rail and it was so hard to get it back on the last time I took the chip off I wasn't game to touch it again.
It was the dyno mule for the 100kw 318Nm 2.5 and ran 131kw 455Nm with +4psi
With its light weight and RWD LSD it was very lively.

However I had the blank fitted for some time before the Chipit and it's been ages since it came out and it's never thrown a code for low manifold pressure. I assume it only plagues the 3.2 and 2.5HP for some reason?
I can understand the 3.2 because the larger capacity would cause higher vacuum if the same size throttle bodies are used but why the 2.5HP? Maybe the limits for the ECU were raised for the different turbo?

Has anyone with a 100kw 2.5 who has an EGR blank fitted ever had a low pressure code?
sierra

Postby tsenior on Fri May 18, 2012 4:04 am

Tim007 wrote:
I have an ML running Chip it, 3" straight through, snorkel and EGR blank. I started playing around with the throttle body as it was playing havoc with my tune. The drive ability was not very smooth and the noise coming from the snorkel that was being fed back through the intercooler was too loud. Basically until the in opened 100% it was noisy and crap to drive. Once it opened and the throttle stayed about 25% it drove like a dream. That go me thinking so I disconnected the wiring harness to the throttle body and went for a drive. The truck drove awesome. Very smooth, spooling up quicker and the noise was gone. The problem was then the run on at shut down as the valve did not shut. I have since tried drilling holes in the valve which is much better but still a bit of run on. I would love to be able to trick the throttle body to stay open 100% all the time but to close when the ignition it turned off to make shut down smoother. If some one can help me achieve that I owe them a carton or two.

do you have your throttle body disconnected all the time?
tsenior

Postby tsenior on Fri May 18, 2012 4:04 am

Tim007 wrote:

do you have your throttle body disconnected all the time?
tsenior

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks