Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby Kegsy on Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

irwazza wrote:
viking shippy wrote:
irwazza wrote:Has anyone completely removed the EGR cooler? I cant see any need of its existence....

part of the adr rules its illegal to remove it might fail rego inspection if you do

this is a EGR blanking thread, you think that's legal?
Also I can't see why removing the cooler would be illegal, as long as the EGR lines are still there they would never notice...

Removing the cooler would definitely be illegal.

Any modification or removal to/of an pollution related engine component is illegal. No way around it.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby irwazza on Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Ok, sorry, my question had NOTHING to do with whether this mod is illegal or not. 99% of mods done on vehicles are illegal because they haven't been engineered. Mind getting over the legal side of it yet?
irwazza

Postby s13tsilvia on Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm

i just put in the blanking plate and hooked up my one way valve, on idle it is making a slight whistling sound, is this normal?
s13tsilvia

Postby sierra on Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm

s13tsilvia wrote:i just put in the blanking plate and hooked up my one way valve, on idle it is making a slight whistling sound, is this normal?

It could be just sucking in air at idle, as it should if the manifold pressure is below ambient.
Make sure you have it the right way around, airflow in not out and that the valve isn't stuck open.
Check for leaks on the new fittings too.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Yes, I get this also at idol occasionally.
GLX-R Alex

Postby tsenior on Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm

sierra wrote: I'm confused about the readings you gave? :?
Going to work, I assume you had the TB plugged in to get a 20% reading or that wouldn't be possible as it needs power to close it. If those were your readings plugged in then it's not restricting your power or have you already intercepted the ECU signals?
Then you said you had it unplugged at shut down when it seemed normal and not lumpy? :?

yeah this morning on the way to work the throttle valve was plugged in as normal so i could read the values, i was surprised at the lack of movement lt pretty much stayed wide open all of the driving time didnt matter how i drove it, even coasting along it stayed wide open like 97-100% until i stopped then it just went down to 20% , then when i got home from work while the engine was warm and still running i unplugged the throttle valve, as soon as i unplugged it the air induction sound into the motor changed sounded a deeper sound immediately as i unplugged the throttle valve, went for a drive came home turned the engine off and it just stopped like normal, im not sure what you guys experience on shut down but i ddint get a buck or dieseling on effect it just turned off.
tsenior

Postby sierra on Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm

They are very strange TB readings. I wonder if the reflash virtually disables the TB so that the flow from the EGR is reduced?
sierra

Postby tsenior on Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 pm

sierra wrote:They are very strange TB readings. I wonder if the reflash virtually disables the TB so that the flow from the EGR is reduced?

thats what im thinking being a known problem, what will be more interesting to see with the reflash i can just run a full blank and get no cel's
tsenior

Postby sierra on Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

tsenior wrote:
sierra wrote:They are very strange TB readings. I wonder if the reflash virtually disables the TB so that the flow from the EGR is reduced?

thats what im thinking being a known problem, what will be more interesting to see with the reflash i can just run a full blank and get no cel's

Exactly what I was thinking.
If it is down to the reflash what else have they done so that it's lost power?

You could try the ECU relearn battery method to see what happens?
sierra

Postby Tim007 on Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Ok so I have run a tank with the holes drilled in the TB and chip on. I ran a tank with the Chip out and My TB with the holes drilled in it. Not a real difference in fuel economy or drivebility. Now for a tank with the TB wiring harness disconnected. I know I will get a code but I can reset that will the ultra gauge. I want to see if I have better or worse fuel economy. I know it will be less noisy and drive better but also want to check the shut down and if I get a lump during this tank. Never ran it disconnected long enough to see if it eventually throws a limp. I have put the chip back in as well to see how it runs. If fuel is ok and no limps I will just keep resetting the Pending code until a better solution is found.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby tsenior on Wed May 23, 2012 7:57 pm

sierra wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking.
If it is down to the reflash what else have they done so that it's lost power?

You could try the ECU relearn battery method to see what happens?

well after the reflash and sql manifolds cleaned new scv

quieter injector noise no cold engine injector chatter anymore, quieter injector sound all around rev range but

definite loss of torque/power
definite lazier engine while cold until warmed up.
power delivery way more linear.

I think they have changed the way the fuel is delivered for sure as in the ecu maps and maybe have a safe guard on cold engine so you cant just thrash it, before it would just go hard no matter what temp the engine was, also before when it came on boost the engine went really quiet, now on boost it no way near as quiet or as angry.
tsenior

Postby tsenior on Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Tim007 wrote:Ok so I have run a tank with the holes drilled in the TB and chip on. I ran a tank with the Chip out and My TB with the holes drilled in it. Not a real difference in fuel economy or drivebility. Now for a tank with the TB wiring harness disconnected. I know I will get a code but I can reset that will the ultra gauge. I want to see if I have better or worse fuel economy. I know it will be less noisy and drive better but also want to check the shut down and if I get a lump during this tank. Never ran it disconnected long enough to see if it eventually throws a limp. I have put the chip back in as well to see how it runs. If fuel is ok and no limps I will just keep resetting the Pending code until a better solution is found.

next time your in you car can you tell me your map reading at idle is
tsenior

Postby coxy47 on Wed May 23, 2012 8:12 pm

tsenior wrote:

If I remember tomorrow morning I'll get a video of my ultra gauge when driving and get you Map throttle and egr readings.

As for the re flash I had mine done last time it went in which was around December so unless there's a new one since then something strange is going on because it should drop to around 20% at cruise conditions.
coxy47

Postby tsenior on Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 pm

coxy47 wrote:
tsenior wrote:

If I remember tomorrow morning I'll get a video of my ultra gauge when driving and get you Map throttle and egr readings.

As for the re flash I had mine done last time it went in which was around December so unless there's a new one since then something strange is going on because it should drop to around 20% at cruise conditions.

yeah ill do some more tests but i drove it for about 30km and i checked the coolant temp and it was already 60 in the first 5km and i thought it was just still cold and thats why it was wide open, but then i came to some lights and when i stopped it went to 20%, but thats the only times i tried at 100kmh just coasting down to 40kmhr but never budged slowed down into 2nd turned into a corner still 100% but when i got to my job and I stopped it shut down to 20%, if im not moving and rev the engine it will open the throttle valve to max then back to 20% at idle.

I should ring them and ask what the reflash date is just had mine done.
tsenior

Postby coxy47 on Wed May 23, 2012 8:32 pm

You should find that when coasting the throttle will be 100% open I believe. Have a look at light throttle such as cruising at highway speeds. That's where I get limp modes from low map pressure.

On shutdown mine closes to zero.

Also my throttle will close even if the engine temp is under 60c
coxy47

Postby manrajf on Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 am

So i finally took the plunge today and blanked my egr after reading this whole thread, Job took me half an hour and cost me £1 to make the blank, took it for a spin and no error codes have flashed up yet,

Also went to dealers to ask them about carbon build up and they said its not that much of an issue, i said are u sure!!!! he went to the back spoke to mechanics and there was a new shape (current shape) in there with 100k miles on the clock that was having belts changed, and as a courtesy they were cleaning the manifold!!!!!

my question is if it isnt a problem why did they do it out of courtesy?? :?
2009 UK model, Going through some drastic changes
manrajf

Postby burnah on Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 am

biggibbo wrote:
burnah wrote:Any idea what PSI is required to open them?

Not sure, the guys at work have used them on water lines at 5psi incoming but don't really know.

Mate, I think this one's a placebo only.
Paid a visit to my local brew merchant yesterday arvy and purchased the same valve.
Only just managed to suck a little air through using my mouth. I think it requires too much vacuum in the line to open it up.
Gutted! :(
At least you know your blank isn't causing any problems. :lol:
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tsenior on Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

put a full blank in no codes as yet.

at idle my map sensor is around 103kpa
tsenior

Postby sierra on Thu May 24, 2012 5:25 pm

tsenior wrote:put a full blank in no codes as yet.

That's the MAP absolute reading 103kpa = 14.94psi
Atmosheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7psi

If you set it to read boost only and perhaps psi? same as most of us, then you will see any negative reading more easily.
sierra

Postby antoo on Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 pm

A bit off topic so feel free to ignore it, but I'm wondering if the ECU actually measures atmospheric pressure or whether it just calculates it from the elevation?

If it only calculated it from the elevation maybe those of us at higher than sea level could rest our elevation to read sea level and get the ECU to pump a bit more fuel!

This would be based on the principle of less air at higher elevation and so ECU sends less fuel to maintain desired fuel/air ratio.

I'm also wondering if this would make CEL's more likely with a blanking plate. I'll check tomorrow if the elevation can be adjusted on the indash computer.
antoo

Postby tsenior on Fri May 25, 2012 3:37 am

sierra wrote:
tsenior wrote:put a full blank in no codes as yet.

That's the MAP absolute reading 103kpa = 14.94psi
Atmosheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7psi

If you set it to read boost only and perhaps psi? same as most of us, then you will see any negative reading more easily.

correct i thought at idle it would be vacuum i just minus 1 bar to my measurement to work out how much boost im running, lowest map reading i have seen was 91kpa for a split second highest 206kpa so my max wastegate mod didnt increase boost much at all
tsenior

Postby tsenior on Fri May 25, 2012 3:44 am

antoo wrote:A bit off topic so feel free to ignore it, but I'm wondering if the ECU actually measures atmospheric pressure or whether it just calculates it from the elevation?

If it only calculated it from the elevation maybe those of us at higher than sea level could rest our elevation to read sea level and get the ECU to pump a bit more fuel!

This would be based on the principle of less air at higher elevation and so ECU sends less fuel to maintain desired fuel/air ratio.

I'm also wondering if this would make CEL's more likely with a blanking plate. I'll check tomorrow if the elevation can be adjusted on the indash computer.

i was reading somewhere it checks the map reading when you turn the key on so maybe it just zeros it self
tsenior

Postby sierra on Fri May 25, 2012 10:07 am

antoo wrote:A bit off topic so feel free to ignore it, but I'm wondering if the ECU actually measures atmospheric pressure or whether it just calculates it from the elevation?

The ECU gets its MAP reading from that sensor and there's nothing we can do to alter what the ECU sees unless we alter the pressure in that line or alter the signal to the ECU.
The readings we get are what the ECU has received and passed to us, if we alter them in our guage readouts it doesn't alter what the ECU sees.
All we can do with our gauge is to set the reading to zero at sea level and then know we are getting an accurate boost reading. I doubt the 2.5HP compensates for altitude with higher boost, the standard 2.5 and 3.2 certainly don't[can't].
So any alterations to your guage will make no difference to the chance of a CEL.

I wish someone would make something that would allow us to alter the ECU settings to raise, say fuel pressure at various rpm, so that we could at least use that latitude within the ECU safe limits to tune our engines.
sierra

Postby odie602r on Fri May 25, 2012 10:16 am

sierra wrote:I wish someone would make something that would allow us to alter the ECU settings to raise, say fuel pressure at various rpm, so that we could at least use that latitude within the ECU safe limits to tune our engines.

May well be showing my almost complete mechanical naivity here, but isn't that what a chip, like ChipIT, does?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Fri May 25, 2012 10:26 am

odie602r wrote:
sierra wrote:I wish someone would make something that would allow us to alter the ECU settings to raise, say fuel pressure at various rpm, so that we could at least use that latitude within the ECU safe limits to tune our engines.

May well be showing my almost complete mechanical naivity here, but isn't that what a chip, like ChipIT, does?

No, a chip changes what the ECU see by intercepting that signal and reducing it so the ECU raises the actual fuel pressure above normal. Rather than trick the ECU I would like to be able to alter it's settings within it's limits.
sierra

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks