daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm

My triton sprays 09 Hilux
GLX-R Alex

Postby slimv6 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Adz wrote:Not as yet Homer, Im still in 2 minds about it. After speaking to The5th about it, there's a reason the EGR is there...whilst I can understand why the blokes with oilers do it, Im still not sure if blanking it off on the V6's is worthwhile??

I have done about 500km since i blanked mine off... v6.

There's definitely a gain lowdown. but having said that, I have only last night come back home from some epics around SA. I have found the low rpm to be better. Having said that, I haven't had it on the dyno to check weather the current map on the unichip is the best thing.

The consumption is pretty much the same, (read heavy) but most of that attributed to the big shoes... at 100, it's not too bad, i would expect about 600km off a tank, at a squeeze. But I don't really drive like that. He still warms up fine, there's been no disco lights on the dash, and I have banged it a bit to see what the difference is in performance. it definitely has a bit better on the power up at the top rpm. but I suppose what is gained is so minimal that it's nominal.

I reckon I'm gonna keep it that way and start looking for aftermarket headers and downpipes. Then most of the aspiration side is done. I will have the dyno done soon, hopefully by someone who knows what they're doing... :(

Consumption was much better at the coast...

driving like a white person gave me about 11l/100 and with the mrs at the wheel got about 16.5l/100

I can't really say how applicable my results are as I don't have the CATs anymore. that was about as big a gain as havinf the whole exhaust system changed.... so maybe the EGR is so small it's noticeable only in the lower rev.

Oh, and when the van is idling in 1st, it's a lot less jerky, it dosen't seem to hunt as much to keep the rpm at idle speed. IT also has much better throttle response.

in short, if you dont give a shit about emissions and euro standards, replace the exhaust system and blank the shit off...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by slimv6 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby mad992 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:50 pm

well done slim nice work mate, there u go homer go for it 8-)
mad992

Postby atenean1 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Got my blanking plate in the mail this afternoon and put it in tonight... Notice how much quicker the turbo spools up to give that boost.

Cheers Alex plate is awesome and you can't tell its in there at all... except for the performance :D

Atenean!
atenean1

Postby Homer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:37 am

Welcome back Slim, thought you'd gotten eaten by lions or something.

Good to hear mate, I'll be giving it a go.
I was a bit sus when reading a lot of the rev heads still don't blank off the EGR on the 6G74 (some were asking for help on pipe extensions etc to hook it back up to modded engines) and some new performance manifolds still have access ports for it.

Agree on the cats thing - I replaced the main cat with a hi flow and got 6KW???? - also had the new pistons so they may contribute a little too?

Would have liked to find someone who would have looked at all the cats - but big fines scare them off over here. They reckon as they have 3 cats - replacing one with a 100 hi flow is about the limit :roll:

Look forward to your dyno results when you get to it.

P.S If you find the time between travels maybe you could post some of your pics of the Skeleton Coast and other trips you've done. Or email me some more :) Love checking out the country.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:03 am

I have a new batch of EGR blaanking plates now made... :D
GLX-R Alex

Postby Install on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:04 am

Bolts were easy to undo :o , whole job took 2mins :D , well worth the effort.
Definate improvement down low - faster response for spooling up. Very happy, no codes or prob's,

Thanx Again Alex 8-)
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby tokirky on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:37 pm

got my plate thanks Alex,how many guys have fitted the plate then had a service from the dealers???

have any dealers noticed the plate???? Don't know which to do first?
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby Stevo8 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:41 pm

GLX-R Alex,
Hey Alex do you reckon those plates will burn through eventually, how long do you reckon they will last?
By the way , mines still humming along nicely :D
Stevo8

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm

If they're 0.5mm stainless I would assume a long, long working life.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:32 pm

mines 1.2mm stainless steel :x
mad992

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:13 pm

put my plate in 3 days before it went in for a service didn;t hear a thing about it, fuel economy is alright still averaged 9.08l per 100 which consisted of towing a 500-600kg trailer for 80ks and moving a large fridge at high speed(110 zone) on a windy day for 100ks all other driving was highway and around town 70% 30% split. so far pretty happy with the little mod
ps its not going to turn your triton into a instant wound up turbo ute just makes it smoother and more responsive down low
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby blurter on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi guys, I've had the egr blanked off in my ML 3.2 DID for about a month now and have had two occasions where mid trip the engine seems to go into a limp mode, like it's got no turbo. Dont get any engine lights and everything goes back to normal after it's turned off and cools. Anyone else had this problem or knows what it could be?
Cheers
blurter

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:15 pm

I had it 2 times in 5000km.. I just shut it off and re started and it just resets and then fine.... I dont think its a huge deal, I mentioned it in an earlier thread and thought it may be a TPS sensor for the throttle fault as it cuts out the cruise control from activating. Same as it show no fault or logs no code. A little wierd but once i re started and it was fine i got over it, because the bottom end power made by the mod far out weighs the minor inconvienience once every 3000km. If it was frequent i would be worried.

EDIT , mine only occured on the freeway
GLX-R Alex

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:18 pm

So has everyone that has blanked off the egr had some kind of drama at one stage or another ?
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sloppyjoe24 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 pm

blocked mine off this afternoon, got a tiny bit more down low but not huuuge... will see how it goes i'm off to kalbarri this weekend so hopefuly i wont have any probs...
Take it easy, if u get it easy take it twice!!
sloppyjoe24

Postby sierra on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Dylan 191 wrote:So has everyone that has blanked off the egr had some kind of drama at one stage or another ?

Mine hasn't missed a beat since being fitted at 3,000km with about 6,300km on the clock now.
It's been mentioned that the 0.5mm SS blank could burn through in time but the exhaust for the EGR is cooled so it's unlikely to fail.
Lot's of wood touching! ;)
sierra

Postby sam on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Dylan 191 wrote:So has everyone that has blanked off the egr had some kind of drama at one stage or another ?

Had it happen 1 's so far.
sam

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:13 pm

sloppyjoe24 wrote:blocked mine off this afternoon, got a tiny bit more down low but not huuuge... will see how it goes i'm off to kalbarri this weekend so hopefuly i wont have any probs...

Sorry off topic but im goin up there at Christmas time so would like to hear how you went and some of the things to do up there ;)
Dylan 191

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:48 am

As i said it resets with no fault so in 4000km for it to do it 1 time is no drama to me..
GLX-R Alex

Postby Dylan 191 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 am

Ahh sweet as thanks for the reply ;)
Dylan 191

Postby Coled on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Got my blanking plate last week, fitted it but took it back out due to engine light coming on and to see if it would go out once removed. But it didn't. Had it booked into Klosters for manifold replacement and also found the port to the map sensor blocked causing light to come on. All fixed and plate refitted so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks GLX-R Alex for the plate.

Cheers.
Coled

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm

The reason you had carbon buildup in the manifold is a direct result of not having it blocked...
GLX-R Alex

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks