Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby sierra on Wed May 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks RHK,
I'll write that down, have a look and see what I can get organised. :D
sierra

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm

I suggest breaking into the loom away from the engine and retape your additional switching wires. Should be able to make it look like no ones been there!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed May 02, 2012 8:00 pm

RHKTriton wrote:I suggest breaking into the loom away from the engine and retape your additional switching wires. Should be able to make it look like no ones been there!

Sounds good advise.
I'll get a Mitssubishi rocker switch when it gets serviced, so it looks stock too.
sierra

Postby Tony on Wed May 02, 2012 11:15 pm

I wasn't going to let on, but, ah well........ Just by luck I acquired a spare TB set up a while back. :mrgreen:

The fun has begun again. :lol: BTW, nothing wrong with drilling a smallish hole (Say 6.5mm) at the top of the butterfly plate as rest to the intake side and is virtually invisible compared to welding fittings in etc. Mind you, nothing wrong with either method including the one way valve as I have tested them all. Just be a little careful of the EGR cooler should you happen to feed positive boost pressure against it though. ;)
They're not meant to do that. :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Newguy on Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 am

Tony wrote:I wasn't going to let on, but, ah well........ Just by luck I acquired a spare TB set up a while back. :mrgreen:

The fun has begun again. :lol: BTW, nothing wrong with drilling a smallish hole (Say 6.5mm) at the top of the butterfly plate as rest to the intake side and is virtually invisible compared to welding fittings in etc. Mind you, nothing wrong with either method including the one way valve as I have tested them all. Just be a little careful of the EGR cooler should you happen to feed positive boost pressure against it though. ;)

So i was thinking the same thing, how is Boost Pressure not pushed back down through the EGR Valve when it is still operating opening and closing at times of Boost being present?
I have Found once the engine is at operating temperature i Switch her off, Unplug the EGR Valve and then go for a drive.
(I Get engine Check Light if i take it off from COLD)
I Reckon that you have a far better response in Throttle and Boost.
Is Pressured Air Loosing Pressure and heading down to the EGR Cooler?
Can we not Blank the EGR Valve on the Intake Manifold?
Or should we be blanking before the EGR Cooler, and the inlet into the EGR Valve?
Mine is the 2.5Did.
Newguy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu May 03, 2012 7:34 am

Yeah I blocked mine just after EGR cooler so it will never see boost pressure. Main reason for that was at the time it was easier to get at. But like someone already said its better to blank it there incase the cooler ever leaks coolant into the intake:o
I don't think it would make any difference to performance where you block it but it does make sence to block it after the cooler. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am

Hay Tony you never said what your doing with the spare TB? Do you have something to tell us? :lol:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Thu May 03, 2012 9:25 am

Tony wrote:I wasn't going to let on, but, ah well........ Just by luck I acquired a spare TB set up a while back. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to what you find in the mechanism of the throttle body. :)

Surely the exhaust pressure in the cooler would be a lot higher than the boost[x2?] so that shouldn't be a problem.
I can see that blanking the EGR after the cooler should increase the responsiveness of early boosting a bit, by reducing the volume that the boost can escape to when the EGR valve is open and it boosts the pressure in the cooler.
sierra

Postby Newguy on Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

sierra wrote:

Looking forward to what you find in the mechanism of the throttle body. :)

Surely the exhaust pressure in the cooler would be a lot higher than the boost[x2?] so that shouldn't be a problem.
I can see that blanking the EGR after the cooler should increase the responsiveness of early boosting a bit, by reducing the volume that the boost can escape to when the EGR valve is open and it boosts the pressure in the cooler.

Does anybody know if you can block between the egr valve and the intake?
Newguy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Yep you can block it there if you want. :)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 03, 2012 11:12 pm

So some poor bugger out there been wondering why his engine is running on shut down, hey Tony?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cookoy on Tue May 08, 2012 2:29 am

Hey there! Just to clarify things, reading all the posts has given me a ridiculous headache and a bit more confused thanwhen i started. I have a MN and reading 97k on the odo, with the egr still open but cleaned regularly. The mods i've made are the knn filter and a snorkel. So if i understand allmthe previous posts correctly, blankng he egr will actually make my engine more responsive in the lower ranges but might make fuel consumption go up. And that i should drill a ole,in the butterfly valve of the throttle to minimize the vacuum pressure on theintake manifold for the times that the egr valve is closed and the butterfly is also closed?

Did i get it right or am i mixing it all up and just messing it up
cookoy

Postby coxy47 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:19 am

Yes and no. You are right about the effects of the egr valve but I strongly advise against drilling a hole in the throttle butterfly.

You are much better off teeing a one way valve in the MAP line to reduce the pressure as this won't give you a rough shutdown.
coxy47

Postby cookoy on Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 am

thanks for the reply coxy, though teeing the pipe with the map sensor will be too much work. i'll see if there is still a more simpler way to fix the over pressure issue.

but aside from the pressure issues, are there other things/issues that have started to come out after the blanking plates have been installed for a while?
cookoy

Postby odie602r on Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 am

Actually, teeing a one way valve into the MAP is less work than the throttle butterfly drilling! It's easy, especially with srb's instructions and arrows on photos.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

odie602r wrote:Actually, teeing a one way valve into the MAP is less work than the throttle butterfly drilling! It's easy, especially with srb's instructions and arrows on photos.

X2 Takes 10min & piece of piss ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby coxy47 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:19 pm

All good mate. I should be more clear. By teeing into the MAP line i mean teeing in a one way valve which as above takes about 10min including opening the bonnet and cost about $5.

Longranger also had a mod that teed into the MAP line i believe which is a more advanced method and had other advantages but its not as simple and defintly not for the feint hearted.
coxy47

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm thIking of blocking my egr value is there a diagram for the valve Instal in the map sesnsor line.
wi53yz_4wd

Postby sierra on Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 pm

wi53yz_4wd wrote:I'm thIking of blocking my egr value is there a diagram for the valve Instal in the map sesnsor line.

Just get a 4mm barbed 'T' piece and an aquarium type 4mm barbed one way valve.
Either snip 30mm out of the 4mm MAP hose or buy a bit more and pop the 'T' piece into the line.
Stick the 30mm on the spare outlet and fit the one way valve into that so the air can go into the line but not out.
Clips would be a good idea, like the ones already on the hose, to hold the boost.

Now when the manifold pressure goes negative the valve will let some air into the MAP hose to stop it going low enough to upset the ECU.
sierra

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 pm

cheers for that sierra
wi53yz_4wd

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby irwazza on Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Is this required after installing a chip it chip?
irwazza

Postby coxy47 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:02 pm

If you use the MAP sensor plug or wire into the MAP sensor then the one way valve is relatively pointless. Longrangers second mod however would still be beneficial as are other methods of disabling the throttle.

Sorry if im wrong though im sure Tony or someone else more knowledgeable will post shortly :D
coxy47

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm

What are the prospects of this one way valve letting water in during a deep water crossing?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coxy47 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:What are the prospects of this one way valve letting water in during a deep water crossing?

It definitely is a possibility and is worth considering but when i was running this i made sure i positioned the valve as high as possible and as protected as possible.

But the valve opening is so small Id be surprised if any water got through let alone enough to cause a problem. The only place i can really see it being an issue is in a crossing like on the high country trips.
coxy47

Postby sierra on Tue May 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:What are the prospects of this one way valve letting water in during a deep water crossing?

It would only be a tiny amount compared to the standard intake which would be the end anyway. If it's got a snorkle you could easily slip some 4mm tube onto the one way valve and route it up to the top to be safe.
sierra

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks