Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby nifty67 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:13 am

You are right this could happen.
But filter is washable and if it gets too dirt I will buy another as it only cost $14.
nifty67

Postby CCM on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 am

Only cause I hate to see something horible happen - Any chance you can move the breather to the other side of the engine? Oil and oily fumes and Exhaust manifold temperatures close to 900 degrees don't mix is whay I ask...

Would be worth your next Sunday morning to relocate it as far from anything hot as possible - Even do a 90 degree and zippy tie it to something on the inlet side of the rocker cover - Only half as hot atleast - Significantly reduce the risk of fire...

just an thought
I bought a new Turbo Diesel Ute to tow my two toys, now the Ute takes all my time n money! crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap
CCM

Postby Homer on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:17 am

Onya Nifty, the beetroot can theory ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

I had a look at the PCV / Airbreather plumbing and seeing it takes the fumes and feeds em into the turbo
I think it can't be too bad - may actually provide some cooling or lube effect to the turbine.

If ya worried about this path then trap the oil between the turbo output and the intercooler - would stop the oily mess in the cooler core.

Nifty67's filter is going to end up with an oily blob of dirt at the end of the hose - all tears. Nice little filter though.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 am

Gotta disagree RHK.
The turbine is in the rear housing, driven by the exhaust and in turn drives the compressor which the engine breather is venting into. The compressor/turbine connecting shaft is supported by bearings but the centrifugal compressor needs no lubrication other than to those bearings. The clearances between the impeller and it's housing will be very close to maintain efficient pumping but to touch would be instant failure as the frictional heat generated would lock the assembly up and send the debris through the engine.
That's why it needs to stay spotless in there with just filtered air and not acidic oil residue building on the vanes and housing.
sierra

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 am

just realised that the new 4 stroke motorcross bikes have a breather from the rocker cover that feeds back to the intake like ours does , but halfway from the rocker cover to the airbox there is a T piece that has another tube off it with a drain plug on the end

now im guessing that there is not a lot of pressure in this line so the oil that comes through would just be slowly moving along the main tube untill it runs into the T piece then gravity takes over and it falls into the tube where the bung is on the end , i have noticed oil in the collection tube before and you just pop off the bung and drain it out

so you would only get mostly fresh air going back into the intake and oil left in the collection tube , what you guys reckon , same principle for our motors ??

Click to view larger picture
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby sierra on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Dylan,

That set up would probably stop most of the heavy stuff.
The difference between the bike and the diesel are higher suction[compressor inlet] and dirtier combustion getting past the rings. How about getting a decent sized fuel filter and passing it through that? Any of the clear ones would be easy to check for glug and replacement.
I made a blanking gasket from 0.5mm SS and slipped it on the EGR valve side of the exhaust inlet gasket. Not much thread on those 2 bolts so I kept it thin for that reason and so it can't be seen. I even put the 4 inlet bolts back in the same positions because everything is colour coded to show any tampering I presume? As soon as I get a volunteer to hold the throttle open I'll leak test the dry joint for bubbles and seal it if it's leaking.
No check light and no problems apart from the throttle loading up on the freeway which I thought might be the computer's way of limiting power but turned out to be the cheap mat jammed up under the pedal. Talk about paranoid!
sierra

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:30 pm

You're quite right Sierra - did get the comp/turb ends back to front.

And, in hindsight yes, best to keep any crap out of the beast.

What sort of money is being asked for these " capture cans"? Shouldn't be too difficult
to knock up.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:17 am

RHK,
They had a decent looking capture can in Repco for about $79 but it was quite large.
How about the fuel filter idea? The universal ones are pretty cheap, it's adapting to the 15mm? tubing that's difficult because fuel lines are so much smaller.

The tiny turbo must wind up to incredible rpm to supply 18psi at 4,000rpm? and more when asked too.
I once read that the old Daihatsu 3 cylinder turbo[1L?] used to reach 240,000rpm!
sierra

Postby Greedy on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:40 am

sierra wrote:I even put the 4 inlet bolts back in the same positions because everything is colour coded to show any tampering I presume?

This "colour coding" may just be the paint they dob on bolts at the factory once they have done the final torque/quality tests. Every bloody bolts in my car is painted. Looks like someone let my kid loose wit the brush. :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:25 pm

As soon as my new GLX-R has had the first service at 1500km...(Done 600 odd atm), i will be installing the ERG blanking at the flange on the exhaust manifold using 0.5 stainless shim sheet. :mrgreen: Stuffed if i want that black soot going into my nice clean new manifold. I cant see how this exclusion of exhaust will be measurable enough for it to chuck an ecl.. I cant see any pressure or temp senders in the path between the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger/egr valve etc.. So should be all ok i assume.. The only thing im slightly conserned about is evidence of tampering on the bolts. Maybe i can get a pink paint pen to re mark them nice and stelth.. :ugeek:
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Alex,
No problems with mine since blanking it off but I wish I had used a smear of sealer on both inlet and exhaust to make sure it sealed correctly. The existing gaskets are both the type designed to collapse and seal so wont be so effective the second time around. Also the 0.5mm SS blanking gasket is difficult to manufacture and keep flat. If you drill the 2 holes rather than stamp them out make sure you clamp the new gasket against a piece of wood and clamp close to the drill and use a pilot hole too. My first hole was a touch ragged but OK. The second one was just off centre so I angled the drill and nearly buggered the whole carefully snipped and filed creation in an instant as it went through. Lots of tapping and filing saved the day.
It's difficult to check for leaks because the most pressure would be under power and brushing soapy water on the joints while someone blips the throttle is less than convincing.
Best to leave off the little lugs that are on the original gasket so all that can be seen is that old gasket.
If the 3.2 is the same as the 2.5 and has the 4 bolts on the inlet connection then putting them back in the same positions will at least line up all those pink dobs of paint and complete the stealth side of the operation.
You only need to loosen the top bolts if you are going to re-tighten that joint without sealer.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:00 pm

So my GLX-R had its 1500km service today, so as soon as i got home i cracked out the 12mm spanner and pulled out the ERG metal gasket and traced it for a template for my 0.5mm shim blank off plate. I believe those stooges at the dealer wont have a clue ive slipped it in. Ill post a pic of my plate tomorrow arvo before i chuck it in and give my impressions and seat of the pants dyno results... :!:
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:41 pm

You might need to give it a few km before you notice the difference and that could be the computer adapting in the range up to 2500rpm. Anyway, well done for giving it a go and I'm interested to know your impressions. Even if it was the same we have the satisfaction of knowing the inlet manifold wont get any more crap in it but I'm sure mine is much improved at low rpm and it pulls like a train, even at partial throttle.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:38 am

Well the way i see it, Below 2500rpm the ERG valve is OPEN... and exhaust gass is bypassing through the pipe and not into the turbocharger... So with it blanked off the full exhaust flow is going into the turbo giving a better bottom end responce.. :ugeek:
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok here are my results and Impression..

My Blanking plate was made out of 1mm shim material and i simply slid it into position on the pipe side of the flange leaving the stock gasket with tangs in it standard spot. I put no tangs on my blanking shim so it is stelth. I Also put a whisker of flange sealant on it both sides for good measure but not enough to squeeze any out to be obvious.

The Fit turned out to be perfect and i believe 99.9% undetectable by the stealer. I have also spotted the bolt heads with white paint marker factory style so it looks completly normal....

The RESULTS..
Wow, A worthwhile modification. The turbo is way more responsive, I mean way more. The slight hole you fall into of turbo lag when stock is more or less gone. I would say it now has NO lag present now. If it were to have a before and after dyno run im sure there would be a new hump below 2500rpm where the ERG would be bypassing the exhaust gas.

Also no Engine Check Light at all and im sure it will no come any time. I cant see how it is detectable. The ERG valve opperation is normal, but nothing passes through it. There are no pressure switches in the ERG circuit so it is basically a non event.

I am now pleased my inlet no longer recieves sooty hot poison . Only fresh filtered compressed air...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My Stealth instalation with factory style white markings on bolt heads.. :lol:
Click to view larger picture
Last edited by GLX-R Alex on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Great result!
Perhaps mine had a slight leak because I fitted it up dry and it took a few hundred km for the exhaust to seal it up?
I did mine at about 3,000km and took the complete assembly off with the EGR valve, there was already a ring of carbon building up on the hole through the exhaust side gasket.
Be careful in the rain.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm

sierra wrote: Be careful in the rain.

Oh..? Have you been caught out...
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:40 pm

With an alloy tray there's not much weight over the back wheels. Even with the LSD it can spin both back wheels in 2nd gear at 20-30kph in a straight line on part throttle. With the extra power it might do it in 3rd now, in the wet and that could be bad news at 60kph with my reaction time slowing down?
It's that punch when it boosts now, almost too much at times![must be getting old]
sierra

Postby snowman on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 am

is the concensus 0.5 or 1mm? what type of metal just mild steel? :?:

can anyone fab one of these up for me please? i will pay a reasonable price for your time and it can easily be mailed to me. :roll:

i reckon i can install it no problems but i dont have facilities to make up the blanking plate.

:) :) :)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:07 am

The one i made was mild steel 1mm, because i belive the end cylinder exhaust port looks like its shooting directly at it. So i was worried 0.5 may burn through. I supose i could make some up. I have a big roll of 1mm shim.

Anyone interested can PM me.
GLX-R Alex

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:51 am

I'm with Snowman on this, we need a reputable supplier :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby nelds on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:33 am

I blocked my egr off the other week n wld say iam impressed with the amount of power produced below 2200 rpm before blocking off my triton was really doughy below this but now pulls well from about 1600rpm and after 1 tank of fuel finally got 500 km from a tank about 12.5ltr to the 100 have had no problems with the engine light coming on so far and cant see any reason for it to come on anyways
nelds
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 am

If you get no takers, if someone sends me a gasket for a sample, I'll get 20 or so laser cut for you oilers....but you'll owe me one ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:31 am

I would be up for an EGR blanking gasket 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks