Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby borngeek on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Try-it-on wrote:What are the fines if you're caught with it blanked off.
I was told last night they are around $25K and that they'll find it at a roadside inspection if they stick the sniffer on the exhaust.
Is there any real chance of actually being caught, and what is the fine?

who put what in where??? :? :twisted:

man theres thousands in Sydney city alone driving off the charts illegal rice burners around like they are on a race track and jack s happens.

if you think they will pull over some dual cab triton ute and pull a magic DID fume sniffer out of the bag and have the proper spec sheet (and scan guage or better) to ping a blocked egr on a roadside test I would be absolutely amazed :shock:

Honestly I do think the law is relevant to the trucking industry where they use lots of methods to save on fuel usage and engine wear etc. I really dont think it applies to little DID turbo's in tradies trucks....
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Try-it-on on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:29 am

Damn, and I've just ordered a chip.
Oh well, live dangerously
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 pm

:D :D :D :D :D thanks alex for the plate it was a snug fit. that far bolt was not fun to work with at all.since i blocked off the egr my fuel consumption has got better so far so good. towing my big quad bike trailer which weighs 400kg empty my fuel is so far 9.9Ltrs per 100klm before i blocked it it was 10.8ltrs per 100klm with no trailer i would of liked to have seen wat it would of been with the egr bloked before i got my bigger tyres on cause i was getting constant 8.1ltrs per 100klms week in week out with factory fitted 245/65r17 tyres. now have 265/70/17 muddies :D :D :D :D :D
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Did you pick up some low end from less lag?
GLX-R Alex

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:08 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Did you pick up some low end from less lag?

i believe so. i havent driven it yet with out the trailer on but it didnt even feel like i had it on i guess thats wat you get when ya got a triton
Diddy

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 pm

borngeek wrote:
Try-it-on wrote:What are the fines if you're caught with it blanked off.
I was told last night they are around $25K and that they'll find it at a roadside inspection if they stick the sniffer on the exhaust.
Is there any real chance of actually being caught, and what is the fine?

who put what in where??? :? :twisted:

Yes that's idea mate...like the time the copper pulled me over and started ranting when he saw reflective paint on the number plates to stop speed camera fines...talk to the hand dickhead...bought it second hand...it's a work vehicle (my business :lol: )...sue them...Oh..and [censored]...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:58 pm

DiD Power wrote:
GLX-R Alex wrote:Did you pick up some low end from less lag?

i believe so. i havent driven it yet with out the trailer on but it didnt even feel like i had it on i guess thats wat you get when ya got a triton

Ok went for a good drive on the weekend fuel figures were good 8.8ltrs per 100klm with muddies
Diddy

Postby shotgun283 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:39 pm

just been plodding my way through the 22 pages on this topic. My ML has done 10000ks, so i think blanking EGR might be a job this weekend. Sounds like not many probs with this mod.
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby new44 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Still only one code for me in about 8000 K.M.

No problems here,,, I`m Happy.. ;)
new44

Postby macmac1234 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:43 pm

i havent had a code either,(touch wood) ive had it in for about 8000kms too but i also have a chipit module in t so that mite help alot aswell
its all running very good so far
macmac1234

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 pm

i went to autopro at raymond terrace to get some stuff and i couldnt believe what i seen EGR BLANKING PLATES i didnt take much notice of price but they look identical to alex's although they were about 3mm thick and really shiny i think they were made from alloy. :D :D :D DONE OVER A 1000 KLMS NOW AND STILL NO PROBS LOVE THE EXTRA TORQUE AND QUICKER SPOOL UP :D :D :D
Diddy

Postby shotgun283 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:43 pm

ok got the EGR blocked off today, used 1.5mm copper plate. My back bolt was a @@@t to get out and the same to line up again. Anyhow, no engine light, a lot smoother through the rev range and seems to have more bottom end grunt. So thanks guys for this thread, once again NT.N has been a great help
cheers :D
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby borngeek on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:57 pm

DiD Power wrote:i went to autopro at raymond terrace to get some stuff and i couldnt believe what i seen EGR BLANKING PLATES i didnt take much notice of price but they look identical to alex's although they were about 3mm thick and really shiny i think they were made from alloy. :D :D :D DONE OVER A 1000 KLMS NOW AND STILL NO PROBS LOVE THE EXTRA TORQUE AND QUICKER SPOOL UP :D :D :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: at autopro!!

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Diddy on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:37 pm

borngeek wrote:
DiD Power wrote:i went to autopro at raymond terrace to get some stuff and i couldnt believe what i seen EGR BLANKING PLATES i didnt take much notice of price but they look identical to alex's although they were about 3mm thick and really shiny i think they were made from alloy. :D :D :D DONE OVER A 1000 KLMS NOW AND STILL NO PROBS LOVE THE EXTRA TORQUE AND QUICKER SPOOL UP :D :D :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: at autopro!!

yeah mate im as shocked as u
Diddy

Postby mjwilmo on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi All,

Is the EGR mod necessary/ recommended for the MN?

(sorry if i missed it, there's a lot of info about this, but not often clear which model everyone is talking about). Cheers, M
mjwilmo

Postby NitroGLXRin on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:28 am

ahh the MN question! I did have a thread started specifically for this and the experiences MN drivers have had, but it got LOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently it wasnt relavent :D and so far I am yet to do mine on the MN because of the unknown
NitroGLXRin

Postby Homer on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:38 am

:D :D my ears are burning :lol:

Actually mate the powers that be are working behind the scenes on a new topic or two specifically for the MN - so we don't get noobs making up dozens of irrelevant threads on what amounts to a 2.5 engine and a big arse :P

Stay tuned...and the answer to your question is yes you should...and a chip...and a catch can.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 am

as evidenced (with actual photo's) here

you should blank your egr ASAP. (ie before you drive it off the showroom floor if you can) :lol:

But whether its a ML/MN the reason for doing it is the same. 8-)
I havent heard of MN guys getting limp modes with their EGR's blocked??

:lol: @ homer

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dultim8 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am

Do u think the catch can is also necessary for the Challenger with the same engine??

Homer wrote::D :D my ears are burning :lol:

Actually mate the powers that be are working behind the scenes on a new topic or two specifically for the MN - so we don't get noobs making up dozens of irrelevant threads on what amounts to a 2.5 engine and a big arse :P

Stay tuned...and the answer to your question is yes you should...and a chip...and a catch can.
dultim8

Postby ratstriton on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Hey all
I have 26000kms on the triton now and I didn't think I was ever going to block the EGR valve off, but after seeing Marchy :o :shock: post I went straight outside made a blanking plate and installed it. I will be ordering scan gauge as soon as possible to get rid of any those pesky codes if they happen.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 pm

dultim8 wrote:Do u think the catch can is also necessary for the Challenger with the same engine??

Homer wrote::D :D my ears are burning :lol:

I would do it to any common rail diesel like these unless I read somewhere it had a different anti pollution system that didn't suck exhaust into the intake.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby shotgun283 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm

what a stupid idea for anti polution, new CFS trucks have catylitic convertors that store the soot and have to be burned of at around 300ks, its automatic but can be overridden manualy. 2 problems with this is 1, if your in stubble or dry grass, you dont want an exhaust burn to occur, burned fire truck, 2 if you manually override it, and forget to burn off the exhaust, it goes into limp mode which only a isusu tech can fix. this is great when a fire is barrelin down on ya. why does emmissions have to compromise safety, and as seen in Triton, pump all the crap back into the motor.
Next every volcanos gonna have to have an EGR, PCV and a bloody catylitic convertor :?
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby contact on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm

i put in a blanking plate (3.2l) and had about a dozen 'limps' in 2400km so its come out and the system has righted itself... i cant see what ive done wrong to get such an extraordinary number of 'limp' modes.. it was perfect for the first week then the maelstrom of computer driven failure!LOL!! dont think ill bother going back there, too much trouble... and im not convinced there was any performance gain, perhaps a slight lowering of fuel consumption (but thats hard to pick imho)

i havent tossed the plate, any ideas?
contact

Postby helicoptercow on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:40 pm

i'm tempted to add a blanking plate but am concerned by this 'limp mode'? what exactly is it and how do you get back to normal power? :? It doesn't sound like stopping and starting solves the problem and can't say i'm looking to buy a scangauge anytime. It sounds like a worthwhile and simple enough improvement and long term investment but when i lose the car to the misses once a month to take her horses places i dont like the thought of her being stuck on the highway somewhere in 'limp' mode?? :shock:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shotgun283 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:41 pm

hope i dont have that prob contact, mine only done 200ks with the plate in, so far so good.........as for ideas , someone in here will have knowledge on the subject........
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks