Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby sloppyjoe24 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:26 pm

i took my plate off the other day because it kept showing a code. haven't had one come up since so i'l see how goes...
Take it easy, if u get it easy take it twice!!
sloppyjoe24

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 am

and now it doesnt get a fault? Sounds wierd.. There is no sensor at the exhaust end of the egr system..
GLX-R Alex

Postby liamb on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:12 am

I think the engine warning light is for a pollution warning ie the EGV valve is showing a failure because it is reading the wrong pressures in the system? . I will be fitting my blanking plate next week after its first service and I have a scangauge so if I get engine faults I will be able to read them

Bill
liamb

Postby borngeek on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 am

Just went through a engine light saga, i have EGR mod (and wastegate arm mod) and took in to Mitsubishi yesterday without removing any of it...

ZERO errors are being reported to ECU by this mod. If it were Mitsu would have picked it as they reprogrammed my truck and tested it.

The reason i was there is in this post: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2034&p=56980

PS> THANKS ALEX! biggest improvement ever!!
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:35 pm

i have the EGR plate and the wastegate mod.

i also own a scangauge.

i have now had 'limp mode' on three separate occasions. first one occured about one week after install (maybe a month ago) and then i have had two in four days.

No errors on scanguage and no engine light. it just goes into limp mode. first give away is terrible auto gear shifting clunks and wont drop back gears. Obviously the power suffers by a serios percentage but enough to drive around on.

Problem is if this happens on the freeway towing a boat or similar you could be in trouble.

on both occasions parking it up and leaving it for a while (i had things to do - not just sitting by the road) reset it back to normal. i have not tried a straight stop and then start but maybe i should.

I suspect the EGR more than the wastegate as the last two times i was driving extremely sedately (one was in a carpark) so it is not from overboosting.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritondan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:34 pm

i have had this limp mode once. i was towing my caravan and noticed i didnt have ANY excess power.
i just felt flooded type thing. i looked at the scangauge and noticed a massive increase in fuel consumption so thought it was just over fueling

anyway after about 10-12 km of no power i pulled over and turned it all off for 20 seconds / restarted and away i went. all good.

i didnt know about this limp mode thing until i readi t on here
tritondan

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:25 pm

3 times for me in a total of 6000kms now.. Just a stop and restart fixed it. No need to wait. Im still not gona remove the EGR blanker cause if i was too its carbon buildup and turbo lag city.. No thanks
GLX-R Alex

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:42 am

What we need guys, by my reckoning is to defeat the Throttle valve in the intake! It seems to be there to encourage the flow of exhaust by limiting the boosted air. Blanking off the EGR plumbing is keeping out the crap, however the ECU must still be operating this flap as before.

The only use I could see for retaining it, would be to prevent diesel run-away.

Anyone had a play with this??
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:03 pm

RHKTriton wrote:What we need guys, by my reckoning is to defeat the Throttle valve in the intake! It seems to be there to encourage the flow of exhaust by limiting the boosted air. Blanking off the EGR plumbing is keeping out the crap, however the ECU must still be operating this flap as before.
The only use I could see for retaining it, would be to prevent diesel run-away.
Anyone had a play with this??

Totally agree with you!
This might the cause of the engine light coming on? If it closes[partially] to decrease boost or increase vacuum to force more exhaust to flow when the EGR valve opens, then when the EGR valve is blocked that decrease in boost or increase in vacuum would more pronounced and the lower than expected pressure could be detected by the manifold sensor and chuck the light.
I can't imagine any other purpose for it apart from perhaps offering better engine braking and as you say, diesel runaway.

So thinking caps on to figure out what will happen if it's dissabled fully open?
When I looked I think it was open so simply pulling the plug on it should stop it but it might be better to go inside so it still operates but doesn't actually open the butterfly[thinks it does though and so do Mitsubishi]?
:? ;) :)
sierra

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Coled wrote:Got my blanking plate last week, fitted it but took it back out due to engine light coming on and to see if it would go out once removed. But it didn't. Had it booked into Klosters for manifold replacement and also found the port to the map sensor blocked causing light to come on. All fixed and plate refitted so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks GLX-R Alex for the plate.

Cheers.

That was my exact experience, except my blacking plate is still on my bench- been afraid to reinstall.
Hows it all going now. Don't mind droping power if it resets after restarting, but in my experience it set off the fault codes and could only be reset by the scanguage or dealer.

Might have a play again this afternon??-- everything says nothing should happen.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:19 pm

4wd26,

After seeing the pics of manifolds full of soot, I decided that having the honour of making the monthly payments on the beast, I would like to see someone providing a convincing argument not to block of the connection to the sewer.

I blanked mine at around 4k and now have around 16k on the clock ( with the boost thread wound up about two thirds ) without detriment. I did a new Oil filter and oil at 7.5k and the the oil was only lightly soiled.
At around 15k, the oil was still looking pretty clean, so I will probably stick to 15k oil changes for normal driving.

I did have the Engine light come on about a week after the mods, however it was the first hotter day and I was running up a steep hill. Tried the battery disconnect but light stayed on. After a 30k trip a couple of days later the light went out and hasn't been back.

I wonder if these events with the light could be due to intermittent connection or a "sticky" sensor? Don't exclude possible touching of cables to a point on the bodywork or screw, etc, somewhere.

With regard to the "throttle flap" it seems to have a position sensor looking at the manual. I was going to see what the motor/sensor component would cost as a part and if feasible simple hang one off the loom. This would result in the flap staying wide open and the now insane ECU thing everything was completely normal. Alt. build a blackbox to simulate the unit.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:53 am

[quote="RHKTriton"]4wd26,

I did have the Engine light come on about a week after the mods, however it was the first hotter day and I was running up a steep hill. Tried the battery disconnect but light stayed on.

my light came on a long time after plate installation and turbo boost wastegate mod,like about 2000klms,but exactly like rhk said mine did the same had to get dealer to remove light that sux :x
mad992

Postby Naff on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:06 am

I was getting stuttering in 2nd and 3rd with the plate, which stopped as soon as the plate came back out. But I never got any engine lights - I haven't put it back in yet (as I need to organise Mitsubishi to change the manifold over) - but now I'm looking at the MRT tune so doing away with the need for the plate.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Latest test.

I dropped the plug off the Throttle module and the engine fired up as usual. Engine light came on after about five minutes - obviously detected the amputation to its "nervous" system.

There seemed to be more urge at the lower speeds and around the 80kph mark. With my square roof bars and ladder the economy seemed to improve a smidge.

On lifting the boot, the vehicle felt like it was coasting along more willingly.

Conclusions;
Subjectively more urge at speeds where EGR would be in operation normally.
Disabling the throttle is detected by the ECU.
Throttle aids in quick shutdown when turning off the engine, ie. it will "diesel" on a couple of seconds without it.

Ideal operation would be to have the throttle device disabled when the vehicle is rolling eg. above 10kph and then come back into operation before the engine is switched off.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:20 am

Well done!
You're braver than me. How about if it was wired to open fully when the ignition is turned on and closed when it's off?
I've asked MRT what it does and how they deal with it in their 'engine performance' forum, no reply yet.
:? :)
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 am

NaffX214 wrote:I was getting stuttering in 2nd and 3rd with the plate, which stopped as soon as the plate came back out. But I never got any engine lights -.

Really... Ive never experienced any stuttering .. But have had a limp home which cured after a restart..

I would love the MRT tune but its quite $$$. The MRT tune will not cure the carbon build up tho. The purpose of this blanking is not to make more performance ( but it does ) , but is to eliminate carbon buildup from the EGR into the inlet manifold. Mines been blocked now since 1000km form new. Now covered 7000km. It would be as new inside the manifold with no carbon.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Naff on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 am

In the MRT thread, CCM posted this...

CCM wrote:.... As we are telling the valve to shut there are no fault codes or limp home modes as the ECU is expecting it to be that way...

So it's still preventing carbon build up? Unless I'm misunderstood which is highly possible. :lol:

I'm not saying the plate is no good, I'm concerned by putting it in I introduced another problem which was for the moment, worse than the original problem. The carbon buildup hadn't affected the vehicle at that point. Obviously later it would - but at the moment, warranty is covering that.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:23 am

GLX-R Alex wrote:I would love the MRT tune but its quite $$$. The MRT tune will not cure the carbon build up tho. The purpose of this blanking is not to make more performance ( but it does ) , but is to eliminate carbon buildup from the EGR into the inlet manifold. Mines been blocked now since 1000km form new. Now covered 7000km. It would be as new inside the manifold with no carbon.

I would love the MRT tune too and the price stopped me also[for now]
It will stop the carbon build up though because they control the EGR valve from the ECU and keep it closed.
:)
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 am

True...
GLX-R Alex

Postby liamb on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:12 pm

going on the MRT idea of closing it through the ECU. I wonder if there is a way to close the valve and then fool the ECU into thinking the valve is open buy putting a fake valve in or running a wire to trick the ECU into thinking the valve is open? Might be as simple as a little circuit on the wires from the valve!

Bill
Last edited by liamb on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liamb

Postby sloppyjoe24 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:25 pm

i put the plate in i had probs, i took it out, no more probs, put it back in for shits n giggles..... same probs. its no longer in... and until someone can convince me otherwise i think it'l stay that way
Take it easy, if u get it easy take it twice!!
sloppyjoe24

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:04 pm

sloppyjoe24 wrote:i put the plate in i had probs, i took it out, no more probs, put it back in for shits n giggles..... same probs. its no longer in... and until someone can convince me otherwise i think it'l stay that way

One thing that doesn't seem to have been tried is to fit the plate and dissconnect the battery overnight to reset the ECU?
No problems with mine but I'm tempted to reset the ECU to see if it's even better?
:? :)
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Im supplying the plates and couldnt care less for cutting out another in my whole lifetime.Its time consuming for me to cut them and grind them up to a nice product. Its as simple as that so dont think that my comments are contributing to the sale of this little thing. Ive posted over 65 now and dont really care if another is sent or not.

Here is my conclusion...

Been in for 6500km, Had 3 limp homes which cured with a 10 second shutdown and restart. ... If i remove my plate i will get turbo lag and carbon build up. Im not sacrificing the low down torque and lack of lag and carbon build up to from 3 minor inconvieniences. I recon carbon build up would be a total whore. Imagine having to have the entire intake system removed and re installed to clean it, or 2 bolts to remove and blank the EGR

Im a mechanical engineer by trade and work on all sorts of deisels for a living. There is no way im taking the blanking plate out, and im a real picky prick. I dont understand that some have only very minor problems like me in 6500km and others have stuttering and engine codes. I have done an ECU reset and recomend it after install.

Alex..
GLX-R Alex

Postby daryn on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 pm

I have had 100% no problems at all with this method, whether it is Alex's plate or someone elses it is a great minor mod for big benefits.

I also am bewildered to why some have had concerns and many others have not.

I am now looking forward to my 30,000k service and hopefully a new inlet manifold installed, my plate will be back in for sure.

Dont be so harsh on yourself Alex :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby new44 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:49 pm

I appreciate the time you`ve taken to save me time making the plate, (no strings (carbon) attached).

With all the brain power at work on the forum someone will work out the
exact workings of the electrics and sensors to fine tune the fix to this problem.
new44

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks