Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

clean before blanking?

Postby snippi on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Some people say that you should have your manifold cleaned before blanking the egr but asides from having everything nice and clean is there a reason for this if the engine isn't experiencing issues due to build up?
Cheers
snippi

Re: clean before blanking?

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Blanking and/or disabling the egr is beneficial straight away.

Factors to consider, how many kms driven, long or regular short drives, servicing intervals.

My son's mn, which we bought second hand (180k), had black engine oil which the dealer said gets changed before handing over - dreaming I think.

I did a complete fluid/lube change about 10k later. Egr defeat about another 10k later and finally took the manifold off about another 10k later to give it a clean - was a bit of goop lining but not too bad.

This vehicle does mainly 20 odd km runs.

So in a nutshell, stop new crap now and give it a clean when convenient.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: clean before blanking?

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm

I would clean at next valve adjustment service
L200Shogun

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:57 pm

snippi wrote:I seen people say that you should have your manifold cleaned before blanking the egr but asides from having everything nice and clean is there a reason for this if the engine isn't experiencing issues due to build up?
Cheers

It’s entirely upto you mate. I blanked mine at 90thou and only have ever run a couple of cans of inlet cleaner through, now at near 260thou it still gives me 800klms a tank and no issues.
MilkmanDan

Postby pete10 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:29 am

can someone please put up a clear photo /pic of where to put the blanking plate on an mn 2.5,the links to photos wont load up for me thanks
pete10

Postby Darrence on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:19 am

Might be too late to the party, but as above, the pictures for blanking plate locations no longer work. I have a 2.5 with 140k, have next no no mechanical knowledge and want a simple preventative strategy to address the carbon build up. The technical ECU mods/remaps would be too much for me I think :lol: . Can someone please post the best location for a plate in the 2.5? I have looked through multiple threads/YouTube etc for hours and can’t find anything that actually shows the best location specifically. Also, is it likely I would need to drill a hole in the plate to allow some thorough? Various opinions on this.
Darrence

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:30 am

I would prioritise the electronic defeat option as it achieves the function of the plate as well as saving the EGR valve actuator.

Then I would put a plate on the output side of the exhaust gas cooler to parent any coolant ever getting to the inlet manifold if it fails.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Darrence on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:57 am

For someone with zero mechanical knowledge how difficult is it to install these delete mods though?. What is the best one to buy?
Darrence

Postby Sky Miner on Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:58 pm

Darrence wrote:For someone with zero mechanical knowledge how difficult is it to install these delete mods though?. What is the best one to buy?

You can get a EGR delete cable from a few manufacturer online that are pretty easy to install ( like 30secs ) I've had one on my MQ for 50+ thousands k's without any probs and now got one on my MR......the one shown here is an example, I like to disconnect it every 5000k's and run it for a couple of k's just to keep it freed up....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15426155688 ... BMjq7eh8Vf
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Darrence on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:16 pm

Thanks for the reply mate. I think I’ll go down that route. Do you notice anything different with the functioning of the vehicle with it on as opposed to without?
Darrence

Postby Sky Miner on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:43 pm

Darrence wrote:Thanks for the reply mate. I think I’ll go down that route. Do you notice anything different with the functioning of the vehicle with it on as opposed to without?

None what so ever' don't fall for the hype like extra HP or a "HUGE" savings on fuel or faster turbo spool up blah blah blah....it does what it's supposed to do....close the EGR....and that's it.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Darrence on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:39 pm

Good to know mate thanks for the help.
Darrence

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks