Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby sam on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Bigs77 wrote:mmm. I blocked off the EGR on my 3.2 a week ago and every time i drive it from cold, I get the engine light come on. P2413 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Performance) according to the scangauge.
Anyone else have this problem???

No probs at all so maybe try doing the ecu resett as in another thread that tells you all about it ;) :idea:
sam

Postby Adz on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:37 pm

You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby mad992 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:51 am

hey, any petrol heads believe they have better response by blanking EGR,or is this mostly for oilers ,cause talking to a reputeable mechanic last night if he had a diesel any brand he would blank egr, the only downside is the engine takes longer to get to operating temp, as this is part of warming up but he said thats not an issue ,but he did say adjusting wastegate mod,to fully get benefits you need to add more fuel to maximise that mod but shit how do we do that without running pajero ecu :x
mad992

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:37 am

The extra grunt isnt from just blocking the EGR.. Its about the turbo charger recieving more exhaust gas and is able to boost up quicker and from a lower RPM. The Benefit is also No soot in the inlet manifold avoiding problems down the track..Eg. Blocked port for MAP sensor line causing surging etc , and caking up of the inlet making the engine loose power..
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:38 am

Would you believe.... I have distributed now to members from this forum 50 EGR blanking plates... :P

We are assisting Mitsubishi in reducing warranty repairs.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Steane on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:59 am

Nice one GLX-R Alex. I neglected to tell you that I received my two in the mail. All fitted up a few weeks ago and aside from some cuts and scrapes and that biatch of a bolt nearest the firewall all is good.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby new44 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks Alex also for the plate. Saved me some time. My bolts were O.K. to get off.( 4900 K.M)

Not sure if I will remove the plate and Crankcase vent setup for my services to keep warranty.

I will probably just leave the plate in.
new44

Postby mad992 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:55 pm

ok mechanic told me to leave pcv breather pipe on and dont waste money on catch can, said blanking egr is a good move but catch can is a silly idea cause oil vapour is good for combustion chamber no dramas there :x also said taking battery terminal off wont clear ecu driving habits we need mitsu laptop to reset the ecu even the ignition key holds driving habit data so wifes key different to mine , whats every1 think of that :x
mad992

Postby Homer on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Don't know mate. I bit the bullet and pulled mine off tonight to see.....hope it doesn't try to wipe my chip tune
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 pm

I'd believe the pulling battery bit off not clearing the ECU but not the key holding driving habits.. mine drives the same regardless of which key is used - maybe in the euro cars but not in our tritons!
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:25 pm

mad992 wrote:ok mechanic told me to leave pcv breather pipe on and dont waste money on catch can, said blanking egr is a good move but catch can is a silly idea cause oil vapour is good for combustion chamber no dramas there :x also said taking battery terminal off wont clear ecu driving habits we need mitsu laptop to reset the ecu even the ignition key holds driving habit data so wifes key different to mine , whats every1 think of that :x

The oil vapour is good yes but not the oil and a catch can is to seperate the oil and let the vapour through to be burnt so I'd say he not correct in fact know he isn't .
sam

Postby Homer on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:09 am

^^ agree
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Any chance you've had a go at checking the blank plate Adz?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Not as yet Homer, Im still in 2 minds about it. After speaking to The5th about it, there's a reason the EGR is there...whilst I can understand why the blokes with oilers do it, Im still not sure if blanking it off on the V6's is worthwhile??
Adz

Postby Homer on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:25 pm

OK mate. What are the benefits of the EGR and what is the downside for the V6 if we blank them do you know?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Im not entirely sure Homer but there was mention by The5th that due to modern engineering there is a reason for it...but without knowing exactly what, Im just going by his thoughts.

If someone who has a bit more knowledge on this topic for us v6'ers, that would be greatly appreciated. :D
Adz

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Just installed my blanking plate, i can say that it does spool up lower down maybe 1400rpm vs 1900-2000(still not decided only driven 80ks)
A lot smoother, it makes going around all the stupid traffic islands in 3rd gear less of shaking/vibration experience :)
and no engine light so far which i was a little worried about.

ps what were you guys crying about that bolts easy to get out finger doing it back up and aligning everything is the hard bit
pss i didn't drop anythink down into the engine bay 8-) :lol:

fuel figures to come after this week
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby rick on Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:43 pm

dont drop anything down the hole you mean :o
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby sierra on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:42 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:Just installed my blanking plate, i can say that it does spool up lower down maybe 1400rpm vs 1900-2000

Is that the 3.2?
I thought it boosted at 1200rpm and from tickover[650rpm] with the EGR plate installed?
:? :roll: ;) ;)

Just joshing after the other claims but I know what you mean about roundabouts and being able to use 3rd instead of 2nd.
It's great to have a bit more flexbility, down to about 1100rpm with the 2.5[twin cam!] with the plate. Just for the record, the gasket size at the exhaust for the EGR is the same for both the 2.5 and the 3.2
:| :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:11 am

sierra wrote:

I thought it boosted at 1200rpm and from tickover[650rpm] with the EGR plate installed?
:? :roll: ;) ;)

Just joshing

Your not far off.... :P
GLX-R Alex

Postby mff64 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:27 pm

I received my plates in todays mail, thankyou Alex.
I adjusted the wastegate arm and put the plate in and yes i can notice a big improvement after only driving it 850km......only picked it up on Friday and driven it home.
Something i noticed was that after holding it at any revs(1000-3000) and then letting your foot off, it would take 1 second before it would start to idle back, has anyone else noticed this :?: i can't remember if it was like it before but i thought i would of noticed it :?
"DROUGHTMASTERS" Australia's own
Eat more beef and be happy :-)
mff64

Postby heybazza on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:38 am

Yeah mff64 mine dose that for about 5 minutes ofter start up, my egr blanking plate turned up this morning, i will fit and see if it make ant difference.
heybazza

Postby sierra on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 am

heybazza wrote:Yeah mff64 mine dose that for about 5 minutes ofter start up,

Same with mine but only for about 1/2 a km from stone cold. In the manual it suits the upshift and it just falls into the next gear while it lasts.
:) :)
sierra

Postby tritondan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Mine has now been blocked - thanks to Alex for supply of plate.

it was simple enough to do - lining up bolt to put back was the hardest part.

i did the EGR plate, westgate turbo arm adjusty thing and a DP chip all on the same day so i cant give oopinions about individual mods BUT i can say the combination of all these has made it GREAT to drive.

its much more petrol like in responce and instant power.

was coming home last night and pulled up next to my wife at the lights and it was on. Easily beat the Magna 3.5l v6 auto I(and she doesnt like to lose)
Thanks for all to advice - its a great machine now.
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Awsome... problem is now i nees to cut some more out.. :lol:

more than 55 suplied now. Every one has a Hilux eater
GLX-R Alex

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks