Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:39 pm

One reason to bother is halving your turbo lag.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:59 pm

s13tsilvia wrote:mmm my ML 3.2 is at 85,000 with no blocking plates etc and have not had any surging, limpies or errors. I still have original manifold as well and get around 560-600 k's running around town on 32's on hwy runs i can get over 600.

Im thinking about getting a blanking plate but as ive never had any issues at all with the truck im thinking why should i bother at the moment when it hasnt given me a single issue so far in the engine department....

A clagged up intake manifold and intake ports in the cylinder head wont happen overnight, but it will happen eventually...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 am

Now that Im back and about to throw my EGR valve in, I couldnt remember if it was said in here that the silastic should be one the does not have acetic acid in it or not? Any pointers before I duck down the shops to get my supplies?
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby gregned on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Godzilla.
Congrats on your safe return home.
Get the hi temp stuff.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 am

Put it in dry. It's ok. I don't use any sealant.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Tony on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 am

I have never used sealant, there's certainly no need for it in that area. :)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Had the blanking plate on the car for a couple of days now and no limpies yet...touchwood!!!

Tell you what though, I have been able to notice a marked difference in how quickly the turbo spools up! Hopefully I can get the mechanics to do a good job cleaning out the manifolds for me soon!!! Then I can really see the difference and get the most out of the blank!!! :twisted:

Thanks again to GLX-R Alex for the blank!!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby snappyrow on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 pm

So with just under 19,000km on the clock (MN 2.5HP) I've blanked the egr (Thanks to GLX-R Alex!) and performed the Longranger1 mod to the MAP line. Running well, maybe even a little better than before :)

While I had the egr off (Know I didn't need to, was just out of curiosity) I was surprised at how much carbon had built up in there. I couldn't get a good look too far into the manifold but am now worried that I may have been too late... Is 19,000km worth of carbon & oil junk going likely to have clogged up my manifold much? Should I look at cleaning it out myself (not too afraid of taking the manifold off the motor) or trying my luck with the dealer next service?

The only symptom I have noticed is a slight increase in fuel consumption since 15,000km (8.7L/100km up to 9.6L/100km). I know this isn't huge and could be related to many things but as I said it's all I've noticed.

Sorry if I've missed the answer elsewhere, even with search, 39 pages of info is a little overwhelming!
snappyrow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 pm

check the 60k service thread. you will see a recent photo of mine including rough calculation of unblocked EGR klm's

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1880
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:20 pm

My ML was in for a de-carbon at 14,000kms. Fuel use was on the rise and it had just started to surge. The MN may possibly be a little better (less EGR programmed into the ECU maybe) but I'd say there is a fair chance that you'd get a shock at the amount of gunk in the manifolds. Depends a bit on the type of driving as well. The first 14k kms in mine was all peak hour commuter stuff.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Scary Snowman!

Too bad if the flappy cyclone substitutes get stuck in a partially closed position.

If you do a lot of city driving the manifolds will glug up fairly quick as most EGR is injected around th 70 - 80kph mark. You can also see the Throttle flap at its most closed position around these speeds.

One possible test to check if there is a lot of krapp is to manually move the swirl flap lever as see if it moves smoothly through it range of travel.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snappyrow on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

Ah bugger :shock: My daily commute is a 50km round trip at 60-80km/h... Sounds like a lovely combination for excessive garbage in my manifold. Think I might just start building up my symptom story for the dealer at the 30k service and plead with them to clean it for me! Cheers fellas ;)
snappyrow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:11 am

MY12 MN triton manual

Okay, I've finally read through all 39 pages before asking a question in case it was already asked ...

For some reason, despite trying on 4 different computers using a range of browsers, there are many of the photos displaying where to instal the EGR blank that are just little grey boxes - obviously not that helpful for me ...!

So, after speaking with the head Mitsu mechanic (who has an ML triton with EGR blanking mod and PCV catchcan and scangauge) who told me off the record that installing both is worthwhile, but 'just take out the EGR blank before getting a service through us to be safe re warranty' he pointed to a spot on the passenger side of the engine, at the top near the firewall as the best spot to put it.

he said that position was better than putting it on the passenger side bottom of the engine near firewall.

As i can't see the pics on this thread:

1. Is this where most people are installing the blank?
2. Is this where the blanks that GLX-R Alex makes go (Ive PM'd him but no reply as yet)?
3. He said a 2mm hole in the blank will avoid engine codes? Others on here seem to be qutoing larger numbers.

I must say I was quite impressed with this guy, giving me these pointers, pointing to spots on the engine, freely talking about 'putting some sort of chip in it is most definitely worthwhile and makes the engine sing' etc rather than towing the mitsu line. Seemed genuine, realistic knowledgeable etc.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 am

Sorry I can't help too much on the location but (as usual :roll: ) I have an opinion that putting a hole in the EGR valve, while possibly better than not blanking at all, is defeating the purpose of the blank.

I would personally look at the option of a chip and full egr blank if it was my vehicle as it has been widely reported that at least one brand of chip is able to remove the limp modes/codes entirely when the EGR is completely blanked.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 am

Click to view larger picture

See that pipe with the silver corrugated heat shield covering on it. Track that down to the left in the pic (near the firewall). You can barely see it but it ends where it joins the exhaust manifold and that is the junction where you put the blank.

That then stops the exhaust gases going up that pipe, into the EGR cooler (that big rectangular box that looks a bit like a radiator) and then into the inlet side.

Best way to go IMO is to fit the full blank (no hole - defeats the purpose) and then get onto Chip-it for one of their chips. It will mean you get no limp modes from blanking the EGR. Check out the Chip-IT section of this site (site sponsor). Don't be confused by their comings and goings, they are still here, and Tony (forum member) can help you out no probs.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby simonb on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 am

I have just installed a EGR blank. I put a 6mm hole in the middle of it.

I know it defeats the purpose, but minimising the damage untill I can afford a Chip was my thought. Very easy job, just use a flexible joint which comes with your socket set.

I found the car so much more responsive, but a little bit noisier.
GLX-R MY07
simonb

Postby odie602r on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks Stean - is this an MN 2.5 motor?

Just appears to be on the opposite side to where the dealer mechanic showed me to put the blank

Thanks too re the full blank comment - I certainly follow the logic of 'why put a hole if you're blanking it off' - I just don't have a scan guage yet nor a Chip It chip (but am saving my pennies, I can assure you) and was trying to avoid freaking my wife out should an engine light come on or limp mode get activated on our brand new bus ... after I've tinkered ...

Ben

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 am

odie602r wrote:Thanks Stean - is this an MN 2.5 motor?

Just appears to be on the opposite side to where the dealer mechanic showed me to put the blank

Thanks too re the full blank comment - I certainly follow the logic of 'why put a hole if you're blanking it off' - I just don't have a scan guage yet nor a Chip It chip (but am saving my pennies, I can assure you) and was trying to avoid freaking my wife out should an engine light come on or limp mode get activated on our brand new bus ... after I've tinkered ...

Ben

no that is the 3.2
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 am

snowman wrote:
odie602r wrote:Thanks Stean - is this an MN 2.5 motor?

Ben

no that is the 3.2

Yep, that's the mighty 3.2 mate ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 am

Can anyone provide a heads up on an 2.5 motor then?

Thanks, Ben

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 am

odie602r wrote:Can anyone provide a heads up on an 2.5 motor then?

Thanks, Ben

Yer mate
It's not as big as the 3.2 but has way more power in standard form :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 am

Mooons wrote:
odie602r wrote:Can anyone provide a heads up on an 2.5 motor then?

Thanks, Ben

Yer mate
It's not as big as the 3.2 but has way more power in standard form :lol:

C'mon Frank, help odie. You've got one of the little toy engines you could take some pics of. :P You don't want to end up on Fridgie's list do you? :lol: :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 am

Mn.

Passenger side of motor.
Left of.the dipstick .
There is a metal pipe with a corrugated cover with a heat shield over the flange going onto egr cooler box.

Under that cover is where you need to blank it.

Sorry i dont have a pic here at the moment
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:50 am

Okay, so confirming, it DOESN'T go just below what I think is the actual EGR valve (which is passenger side of engine, up top right near firewall, NOR does it go on the end of the pipe directly underneath that ..

but on the heat shield section that is closer to the front of the vehicle, more kind of in line with the battery.

have I go the right place now?

(and do I ask why it's better to go here rather than in the other two places?)

Thanks again,

(I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, sorry about the slow learning to those of you whose minds more easily grasp the mechanical concept stuff!)

Ben

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:09 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry odie, for some reason I thought you had an ML, must have been that reference to your mechanics car. I'll go back to not helping people, it will be less confusing for everyone :oops: :roll:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks