DO BIGGER TYRES CHANGE TORQUE

Need something to get you rolling?

DO BIGGER TYRES CHANGE TORQUE

Postby alan j on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:39 am

Hi can you guys give me some advice on tyres for my 2009 ml 3.2 cab chassis.
I am currently running 245/70/16 d694s. Thinking of changing to 265/75/16.
I regularly tow a 17ft boat in no higher than 4th gear at approx 2600 rpms at 85kph.
How will the bigger tyres affect the torque and the fuel economy. Also will the bigger tyres fit or do i need a lift kit ?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
alan j

Re: DO BIGGER TYRES CHANGE TORQUE

Postby fridgie on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:32 pm

If you're worried about torque, fit a chip or get it tuned ;) :twisted:

And as long as right offset (if changing rims) you'll have no probs fitting them.

Check out the forum directory and search links in my signature ;) pretty sure you'll find most things have been covered.....this may explain the Muppets running around jibber jabbing as they have nothing left to talk about :!: :roll: :lol: :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 pm

auto or manual ?

and 265's fit without lift no probs at all.

fuel economy will change of course running larger tyres, thats a gimmee, torque its a diesel so should be fine, but if you want more that is where we have done things like filter and exhaust for breathing, and chips and tunes for bigger kw's and nm's.

personally I think for you it will be more getting up to cruising speed and for that I would just look at a sprint booster to alter the throttle response, they are great to use when towing especially with auto's.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:38 pm

also moving to tyre section and may combine with the "Random Tyre Questions" thread.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Hymie on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:00 pm

I run 265/75R16s on my 2.5 manual MN and tow a 2750Kg caravan with much success. The only real drama is take off when going up steepish hills. Pulling a boat out of the water would be your biggest concern and for that you could easily use low range for the short climb.

As for the tyres, I was running them before I got my lift and they had plenty of clearance.
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels