Steel rims Vs after market Steel rims.

Need something to get you rolling?

Steel rims Vs after market Steel rims.

Postby iamsimon on Tue May 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Righto so I've been dreaming of upgrading my stock standard steelies on my MN singlecab to the black sunraysia type, but after reading heaps of threads I've come out a bit wary of the extra weight and balancing issues forum members have talked of.

As if now I'd love to upgrade to a simple set of alloys instead, but now I have myself wondering. Will there actually be much of a difference between my stock steel rims and the after market rim? Will I even notice a thing once they are balanced properly seeing as I'm presumably lugging round the extra weight already? Or is there something I've missed?

I've done some searching but I can't find an answer to this particular question. Help a brother out!
iamsimon

Re: Steel rims Vs after market Steel rims.

Postby triton_guru on Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Wider rims for wider tyres that you cant fit on a standard rim but other then then that its all about the looks haha and offset to fit bigger rubber under the guards,i was in the same senario about 2 weeks ago but decided to stick with the standard alloys for now.
triton_guru

Postby salt36 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:43 pm

The balance issues you mention could be explained by the majority of steel rims being shod with mud tyres which are difficult to balance and keep balanced.

Why pay more for something you already have?(aftermarket steel rims)

I just bought some alloys to put my tyres on to see if there is any gain in economy, currently on aftermarket steel rims. Will put the results in my build thread once swapped over and a trip or two done. I to wonder about the fuel economy benefit of running alloys. I suspect the alloys will be marginally better but have yet to confirm it.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Tue May 28, 2013 10:09 pm

sure the 'performance' is less about acceleration and more about braking degradation.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 am

the other thing is that if a glx single cab the rims are 6" wide (most guys here when upgrading go for 8" wide)
and the standard tyre size is 205 wide.

so moving up to a 8" rim and 265 tyres will increase the weight you have to move, then if you are paying for new rims most also increase the track, by running +30 or less offset.

so I'm making a big assumption here that you have the 205 tyres as standard, and that you would see and feel a big difference.

of course if you know the above, you could go for a 6 or 7" steel sunrasia rim (or even alloy) which provide less of a weight penalty.

might even save you extra money not needing flares?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Steane on Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am

I've currently got 10 Dynamic steel rims (Triton and Defender) with mud tyres fitted and none of them have a balancing issue (MTZ and Federal muds fitted). I think a lot of the balancing issues are actually incorrectly bolted up rims (bolted to the hub). Care needs to be taken as the Triton wheel centres around the studs not the hub.

I'd go 7" width for 265 tyres as they don't look right on 8" rims. I think you get better sidewall flex when aired down as well.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby todd.brenda on Wed May 29, 2013 7:55 am

I have 7" CSA steel rims with a +30 offset and 265 tyres. Have had Km2 and MTR muddies on the rims over the last 3yrs and balancing has only been an issue after they were approx 50% worn.These rims have made a big difference to the handling over the standard steel rims.
todd.brenda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby iamsimon on Wed May 29, 2013 4:30 pm

snowman wrote:sure the 'performance' is less about acceleration and more about braking degradation.

Thanks guys, I was a bit worried I'd asked a stupid question here!
The 'performance' I dont want to lose is deffinantly my braking capabilty, keeps me and my investment safe!

4wd26 wrote:the other thing is that if a glx single cab the rims are 6" wide (most guys here when upgrading go for 8" wide)
and the standard tyre size is 205 wide.

so moving up to a 8" rim and 265 tyres will increase the weight you have to move, then if you are paying for new rims most also increase the track, by running +30 or less offset.

so I'm making a big assumption here that you have the 205 tyres as standard, and that you would see and feel a big difference.

of course if you know the above, you could go for a 6 or 7" steel sunrasia rim (or even alloy) which provide less of a weight penalty.

might even save you extra money not needing flares?

Spot on mate, I'm going for a 16x7 coupled with the 265 BFG A/T I think. Rolling on the Bridgestone 'Cheese Cutter' spec trye at this stage

Does anyone know what a set of factory alloys will set me back?
Being an apprentice kills my budget to a slight degree though, thats why the steelies are so tempting!

Cheers fellas
iamsimon

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Bill65 was selling a cheap set of alloys in trading post area unless they've been sold already
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby iamsimon on Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Bill65 was selling a cheap set of alloys in trading post area unless they've been sold already

You wouldn't know if ill need flares if I bought those wheels would you Dave? I was looking at 245/70x16, so im assuming I'd need the 75's . I'm flying blind when it come to all this info.

Such a great forum! I can hear my banking account crying as we speak!
iamsimon

Postby salt36 on Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm

I run 245/75/16 mud tyres on steel rims +30 offset and they are well within the GLX-R flares.

I also run 265/70/16 on the same +30 offset steel rims and they are just within the GLX-R flares.

Any of these tyres on the +38 offset rims will be well within the GLX-R flares.....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Mate I'm hopeless at keeping track of what models have what. 265 is only 20mm wider than 245 so maybe you can measure where the current ones sit? I have the GLXR which came with flares and alloys so that's what I tend to picture first.

Cowboy Dave

Postby iamsimon on Thu May 30, 2013 6:07 am

Mmm I've got a sneaking suspicion I will need them, but hey there not going to make her look worse!
iamsimon

Postby Thommo3337 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 am

Get yourself a set of hummer h3 rims can usually pick them up cheap they are the same offset and are 7.5 inch wide.
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby fridgie on Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 pm

iamsimon wrote:Mmm I've got a sneaking suspicion I will need them, but hey there not going to make her look worse!

Can always get away with the cheap rubber flappy ones until you can get the real flares ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby iamsimon on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Well I ended up heading out to Melton on the weekend and buying those GLX R rims of bill65( thanks CB ), had a good chat to him too! So now I've just got to get my tax back and get some tryes on the old girl.
iamsimon

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 pm

That's a good buy mate, they don't come up all that often for such a sensible price. I waited ages for the ones I wanted to come up on special before I grabbed my second set of alloys. I get the impression Bill is a good bloke too so no doubt you've got a few new ideas for your triton as well.

Cowboy Dave

Return to Tyres & Wheels