Cooper tires... a quick discussion

Need something to get you rolling?

Cooper tires... a quick discussion

Postby anthraxx66 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Today, being a bit bored at work, I decided to ring the local Independant Tyre dealer, and get some prices. They are a stockist of Mickey Thompsons and Coopers, to name a few. I've only got a bog standard '09 GL 2wd petrol, so I'm not after anything flash or massive... just some good ATs.

for the record prices supplied were (LT225/75 16): Cooper AT3 - $1400 for 5, incl FEA. MT ATZ-5 rib - $1300 for 5, incl FEA - which I think is reasonable.

On receiving the prices from the owner of the business I asked her about the stories I've been hearing about Coopers getting lots of punctures and so on. She said, in her experience, this was for one main reason. The fitting of Passenger tyres not LT tyres. The P tyres are cheaper and some inexperienced tyre fitters/shop staff will quote/fit P tyres to get the deal ... or some people will go for P tyres to try and save some cash.

Not sure how true this was, but I thought it would generate some interesting discussion.
anthraxx66

Re: Cooper tires... a quick discussion

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:44 pm

This really doesn't apply to Cooper tyres only.

LT tyres will have better puncture resistance. They will also last up to twice as long, so the initial saving is a false one.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

The older generation of coopers tyres had a bad reputation for sidewall damage, but in the at3 and St maxx, they beefed up the sidewalls. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with these!
For the record, I have stmaxx on mine and I only regret not going for a larger size!
Froggy

Postby fraz91 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm

5th is right, an LT construction will generally have deeper tread with stronger steel belts, as well as stiffer/thicker sidewalls.

I've had BFGoodrich AT's in the LT construction on my car for about 65,000kms now, and will get another 20-30,000km out of them before they're near the wear markers. In that time I've only had one tread puncture (a 10mm diameter steel bar about 2inches long, nothing would have survived that to be honest), and one sidewall intrusion (combination of running tyre-pressures a touch too low and bad luck).

If you're worried about ride comfort and want slightly better handling, get the P-construction tyres. However if you're after longevity and strength, the LT's are the way to go. ;)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby robothefisho on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Don't do yourself the disservice of buying cooper tires. Had the Cooper ATR's on a pajero which were terrible on wet roads and wet dirt roads.

Now have the new st maxx's on a triton. Have been terrible from day one. Squirm around on dry pavement. Wander all over the place. Braking squirms around. Some uneven wear (scalloping) after 10 000kms. Noisey. As for wet weather handling, absolutely terrible. Anything resembling a medium pace brings on understeer with no throttle or oversteer with throttle. Braking is woeful.

Offroad, nothing special. Really have to drop the pressures down to get any real grip out of them.

Worse than any muddy I have ever had. Leave that really bad being ripped off feeling.
robothefisho

Postby robothefisho on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Don't do yourself the disservice of buying cooper tires. Had the Cooper ATR's on a pajero which were terrible on wet roads and wet dirt roads.

Now have the new st maxx's on a triton. Have been terrible from day one. Squirm around on dry pavement. Wander all over the place. Braking squirms around. Some uneven wear (scalloping) after 10 000kms. Noisey. As for wet weather handling, absolutely terrible. Anything resembling a medium pace brings on understeer with no throttle or oversteer with throttle. Braking is woeful.

Offroad, nothing special. Really have to drop the pressures down to get any real grip out of them.

Worse than any muddy I have ever had. Leave that really bad being ripped off feeling.
robothefisho

Postby webby52 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 am

Had the GF Goodrich ATR's on my previous Paj. Great mileage, 80k plus and good off-road but a bit deadly on wet roads. Always baulked at the cost of Coopers!

Got Pirelli Scorpions on the Triton recently, great on wet raods and work well in the sand when aired down. Don't expect them to be great off road as not a very agressive tread.
webby52

Postby Duck on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am

I have the Cooper AT3 & love them but I am sure that you would also like the Micket T tryes each to there own. I just wish I went bigger as they say SIZE MATTERS, don't worry about that you don't do a lot of offroad work they look GREAT........ :lol:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby trumpy955 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Just get the bridgestone d697's . Everyone here raves about them as an a/t.
That said, I love my cooper muddies ;)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby Froggy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 pm

robothefisho wrote:Don't do yourself the disservice of buying cooper tires. Had the Cooper ATR's on a pajero which were terrible on wet roads and wet dirt roads.

I think you describing a Triton not the tyres...
Mine have done 30,000 now with NO uneven wear! Yes they are noisy - there chunky so you put up with that. Wet dry whatever they are fantastic on or off road.
I haven't rotated mine at all :-o fronts are now nearly 50% rears 75% will rotate them this weekend + can't see why they won't last till 80,000 or at least very near. Not too bad for what they are if you ask me!
They aren't a muddy which it seems your trying to compare them too, just aggressive A/T. That said, they keep up with the muddys just fine!
Sorry, just couldn't leave this post alone when I know what your saying is wrong!
Froggy

Postby odie602r on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Froggy wrote:
robothefisho wrote:Don't do yourself the disservice of buying cooper tires. Had the Cooper ATR's on a pajero which were terrible on wet roads and wet dirt roads.

I think you describing a Triton not the tyres...
Mine have done 30,000 now with NO uneven wear! Yes they are noisy - there chunky so you put up with that. Wet dry whatever they are fantastic on or off road.
I haven't rotated mine at all :-o fronts are now nearly 50% rears 75% will rotate them this weekend + can't see why they won't last till 80,000 or at least very near. Not too bad for what they are if you ask me!
They aren't a muddy which it seems your trying to compare them too, just aggressive A/T. That said, they keep up with the muddys just fine!
Sorry, just couldn't leave this post alone when I know what your saying is wrong!

+1 :!: - although I wouldn't have described them as noisy
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dunga71 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 am

Well im getting my 3rd set fitted today under warranty,they keep getting splits and cracking about 20 mm up from the rim ,no questions asked they are just swapping them out again,new set of boots every 7k or so im not complaining ;)
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 am

Dunga71 wrote:Well im getting my 3rd set fitted today under warranty,they keep getting splits and cracking about 20 mm up from the rim ,no questions asked they are just swapping them out again,new set of boots every 7k or so im not complaining ;)

Geez you must be giving them a hiding Dunga :? Sounds like one of those cutters that slash themselves with razor blades, but you slash your tyres up :lol: :lol:
Duck

Postby DoubleD on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:04 pm

I've had my Cooper ST Maxx on the Triton now for only
5-6000km and have found them fine. ive had them on the
beach at 12psi and went well for an agressive style AT. I havnt found
any problems in the wet at all like described above in Robo's 1st post ever!!
DoubleD

Postby Duck on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:38 pm

No matter what post it is it's all about opinions & what we have experienced, I also love my Coopers but like to hear what everyones personel experiences have been. For all we know he could be a full time tyre tester but new to NTN. ;)
Duck

Postby trouble on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 pm

I have the ST maxx as well, also had them for about 5000ks
I also don't rate them, not good in the wet at all. Under steer into corners and the rear breaks traction coming out. But this could be my driving style.
Just yesterday mrs trouble actually commented how slippery the front tyres felt, and she drives slower than me.

This could be a vehicle issue as I always carry a lot of weight all the time.
I might try reducing the air pressure slightly to see how it goes.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Dunga71 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Cant fault them for ride and handling done a bit of everything on them,just the cracking issue,other wise I would have swapped them for something else
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby useless offroader on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:12 pm

At3's have done roughly 50,000 and have plenty of meat on them, will easily get to 80k,
Handle on and off road very well and would recommend them to anyone who heads off road every now and then.
Next set might have a look at the st maxx.
useless offroader

Postby Blue on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:48 am

useless offroader wrote:At3's have done roughly 50,000 and have plenty of meat on them, will easily get to 80k,
Handle on and off road very well and would recommend them to anyone who heads off road every now and then.
Next set might have a look at the st maxx.

AT3s with about 40,000, regular rotation, even wear on them and they are deadly in the wet, worse than my BFG ATs at the same wear point - I DO NOT rate them at all :?
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 am

Ok mixed opinions about Coopers, so the people who don't rate them how much 1) weight do you carry 2) does your truck weigh???
And 3) what tyre pressure do you run?
As I believe these might be a factor in the performance of the tyre.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Tony on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:33 am

AT3's here, same as Blue, be warned they are rubbish on wet black top with edges worn off. I have tried dropping pressures and now they squirm like rags. :roll:

I'll never be running them again. :(

In saying that, they are very good in all other areas. :?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 am

I have the ST Maxx's and I like them.

They have been everywhere and done almost 50,000kms most was towing my camper trailer. They have about 30% tread left.

I run 32 psi day to day. When towing, I run the rears at 40 psi.

Off road I run them at 18-20 psi.

(I have no idea on the vehicle weight)
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby DoubleD on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:57 am

I'm running 36psi day to day driving with no problems for me.
As SEJ has said above 40psi in rear when towing camper trailer.

Weight.......... a bit more than standard, Canopy, ARB rear bar & 2 kids :D
DoubleD

Postby trouble on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 am

Running 36 front and 40 rear
Canopy, rear bar, drawers, fridge, battery, recovery gear well over 300kgs

I just may have to adjust my driving style! But that is just no fun!

Maybe it depends on the vehicle chipped or unchipped more power Vs standard. Mine is chipped. I know Tony has a modded vehicle = more power and and tyres just can't handle it.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby trumpy955 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:26 am

I love my stt's they have taken me everywhere I wanted to go except for when I got them clogged with clay. But that stuff is like clag and you need loads of wheel spin to clear it
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels