fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: fitting "33 inch" tyres- a summary.

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Geeez dave ive been waiting for ages for you to agree with me lol ....doc don't take this forum to seriously..after we share the same interests we just have different point of view..that's what makes the ntn so good deferent points of view...cheers g
Last edited by viking shippy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby aimstix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:57 pm

It's great to see guys putting up here info that is easy to follow and their experience is invaluable to guys like me that every day think about what they want to do an the pros and cons of it all!! Thanks doc!!
aimstix

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Theres a difference between a different point of view and treating someone like they are inferior or stupid. There are obviously people on this forum who have been here a while and post a lot. But as soon as someone does a mod that is not in their interest, it gets shut down. It is not very accomodating as a newer person to this forum to have people make fun of you and put down your opinions, advice and car. I'd expect that from a bunch of 20 year old hilux drivers. I have simply tried to put out some information for people - which is what this forum is for. All i have gotten is criticism and ridicule. But if thats the way you guys wish to act, then go ahead. I was only trying to be helpful. I wasn't forcing anyone to do anything. Shame on you guys really. I wasnt expecting to be bullied from this forum.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks aimstix, its good to see someone with a positive outlook on here.
DocBassett

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Theres a difference between a different point of view and treating someone like they are inferior or stupid. There are obviously people on this forum who have been here a while and post a lot. But as soon as someone does a mod that is not in their interest, it gets shut down. It is not very accomodating as a newer person to this forum to have people make fun of you and put down your opinions, advice and car. I'd expect that from a bunch of 20 year old hilux drivers. I have simply tried to put out some information for people - which is what this forum is for. All i have gotten is criticism and ridicule. But if thats the way you guys wish to act, then go ahead. I was only trying to be helpful. I wasn't forcing anyone to do anything. Shame on you guys really. I wasnt expecting to be bullied from this forum.
DocBassett

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Guys a technical post in a technical section- try to keep the banter to a minimum.

you either use the information or you don't.

I'm still out on the benefits of larger tyre v's usability/ reliability

bit sick of changing out cv's but like the extra clearance (less under body) damage larger tyres bring.

I need to get my crawler gears fitted ASAP :oops:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:23 pm

i am not going to get in a slag fest with you Doc but if you want to compete with your mates on 35 then buy a patrol or cruiser on 35's. you will never compete with them when needing clearance in ruts. :|

we do get reasonable front diff clearance due to the IFS arrangement but you will be dragging your sorry 9 inch up the centre of the track.

I just think for the plenty of people that are reading this, to put on 33's, there are some negatives that, unless 33's are a super must have requirement, may not be worth the half inch of lift they give you. That said, a few are running them, including you. so each to their own.

The basic physics is that you will place more strain on your CV's. Although we have not heard of any front hub failures the use of bigger tyres and particularly the wider offset (negative) can place more strain on the front hub assemblies. The tritons are well made but the more stress placed on them the closer you get to that edge. Braking performance is another thing although (and i have not tested it) 33's on alloys are probably better than 32's on steelies.

For the record Doc I have always maintained that the forum, in my mind, is for the education of those researching. Sure we meet friends, organise trips and even have sponsors to sell their gear. That said i have always maintained the forum power lies in education. Not everyone agrees with me though. :lol: :lol:

Not sure who is bullying you. If that is your idea of bullying then obviously i am a little outdated.........probably the latter. :oops: :oops: :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:23 pm

clearly after 9000 posts i still struggle with the mouse....... :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Also that reminds me there's the legality issue - which would be different depending on what state people are from.

yep although this has been done to death in other tyre threads. with very few engineered exceptions, both 32's and 33's are illegal.

however i have never even had a second look at mine. 32's look 'normal' with a 2 inch lift. :D 33's are starting to look like a 'big' tyre.

.......now i have said that watch me get defected this week. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by snowman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Doc
Criticism ridicule bulling ...where?
I see just discussion and different points of view and lack of respect of those views on your part and a sprinkle of Ozzie humour...
Lighten up mate chill.....
viking shippy

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Geez that got a bit loud, horses for courses, Enjoy turning your truck into what you want it to be 8-)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby borngeek on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Click to view larger picture
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 pm

exactly my point ^^
DocBassett

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Your right snow 31" do look stupid
or is that because the tyres are sinking into the grass or both lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
viking shippy

Postby wake jake on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:00 pm

I run 265/70/17s as daily tyres and 34s in the bush and I think if you are running them only on trips the stress will be alot less than running running them full time. My 265s look tiny in my guards with my 2.5" lift :lol:
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby viking shippy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Here we go! 34"are youth sure ?.
viking shippy

Re: fitting

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 pm

viking shippy wrote:Here we go! 34"are youth sure ?.

Well, in his shed it says this: Silverstone MT-117 Sports 285/75/16

I assume those are the play tyres.

It's obviously possible, in that there is room. I'm sure I remember someone cutting back metal to get even bigger tyres on. It can be done. Whether it 'should' be done is another thing but we're all adults and can make our own choices about that and I don't have a problem with that provided people know what they're getting themselves into.

Having seen where we can take these vehicles on 32s (look at the wheeny creek trip thread (or Lithgow, or Mt Walker, or Coffs) for some ideas) I don't really want to go anywhere that requires even more clearance/larger tyres, I don't think I have the heart for it to be honest.

Also I am scarred from having seen too many CV changes :roll:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby wake jake on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:36 am

No CV issues in running 33s and now 34s in almost 2 years(touch wood) The tires actually are just on/over 300mm in actual width. Just trimmed mudflaps a little and there is no rubbing. I can understand the 32 pros but each to their own. Some run 35s aswell, Good on them for stepping it up and pushing the limits its what they want to do and good on them.
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby har05l on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:52 am

After sitting on the fence watching the banter and reading the highly choofed out writings of VS I'll have a go :roll:

IMO what doc has done and any others running 33's will be no more stressful on cv's, driveline or any other component's associated so long as driving style stays the same. Why do I say this....cause I can :lol:

1st 4wd I had,1990 4runner that came stock with 31x10.5x15 (778.5mm). I turfed these and fitted 33x13.5x15 (829.5mm). That is a massive diameter difference by any means and getting pushed along with a commodore v6 it had plenty of balls. I did bust 1 cv and complete front diff centre though :oops: .

After that experience I fitted all new internals and a manual locker and for the next 4 years I owned the thing never had any problems what so ever (and this is with all 4 cylinder running gear I should mention)

Now the triton for me is far better manufactured and although 33's may not be everybody's cup of tea they fit, they work and if joe blow comes and reads this or any other thread and decides to fit them and breaks stuff it's his problem and no body else's is it :roll:

Just let the guy create his thread, go wheeling and put his findings here for all to read :|
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 am

^^^^^agree or like :mrgreen:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 am

you can all go run 42 if you like. i dont give a toss.

BUT larger tyres do bring on more risk.

I have no issues with Doc running 33's. i couldn't care less.

but just because you can fit them doesn't mean they come without possible consequence.

.........and i am the first bloke who will suggest and support anyone on here to say what they like.

but for those of you reading this that are 'making up your mind' on what to run - just because they fit, doesn't mean that there wont be any problems. Sure you can 'offroad' as easy as you like and save CV's but i dont think the stresses on hubs are at their greatest off road anyway. CV's maybe but not other issues..........

i will say this though. i did PLENTY to my car based on other peoples opinions on here. i am not an engineer but i don't consider myself stupid either. I have taken a lead from other people on this forum and spent plenty of $$'s and then found out not too long after that it may not have been the best idea (the hard dobbies setup and shock as an example) and found that after a period of time those ideas became problematic for one reason or another as more experience came to light.

i just hope running 33's (or 32's for that matter) are not one of those issues and we see a major failure. There is a story to tell but it is not my story to tell.

I don't think making that comment in a thread that is just pushing the pro's of 33's is unreasonable.

as you were and have a good day.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:31 am

Alright, Snowie gets the cranky old man Tag back 8-)

Glad to be rid of it. :D :D :D

"As you were" LOve it :lol:
Last edited by ag9111 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:32 am

har05l wrote:IMO what doc has done and any others running 33's will be no more stressful on cv's, driveline or any other component's associated so long as driving style stays the same.

i think too much focus on off road in this thread. if you drive around a corner at 100klm/hr on 33's and the same corner on 31's there is more lateral stress on the hubs as the loading moment is longer between the footprint and the hub centre. i may get flamed down on this but that is the way i see it. all the bumps, dips, bangs and crashes can add up to an earlier failure as these have a greater leverage moment over the hub. this can increase the chance of hub failure.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 am

ag9111 wrote:Alright, Snowie gets the cranky old man Tag back 8-)

Glad to be rid of it. :D :D :D

but i am not cranky :? :? . far from it. :roll:

i have made my decision on the direct advice of probably the single most knowledgabe bloke on this site. unfortunately that experience has not been conveyed.

i have made my decision and my conscience would be clean if someone has an unfortunate accident. :roll: :|

if i get remembered for anything on this website it is not being cranky, certainly that may be a close second :lol: :lol: but i hope it is for the last bloke going down swinging for free speech, education and allowing all those 'lurkers' to learn, seeing both sides of a discussion.

i have no issue with Doc's posts at all, as long as he is willing to allow both sides to be heard.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 am

Im Flying bellow radar.... lol
Good discussion
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels