Effect of larger tyres on low range in MN tritons

Need something to get you rolling?

Effect of larger tyres on low range in MN tritons

Postby alpine triton on Sun May 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi everyone
I have spent a bit of time searching the forum for the answers I am looking for but can't find exactly what I am looking for hence this post.
I am looking at getting some BF Goodrich KM2's in 265/75/16 very soon but after taking the MN on a couple of short trips in the bush around home I have a few concerns with the effect these tyres will have on low range, especially low 1st/2nd descending steep tracks.
The MN has plenty of power/torque for climbing steep hills so I don't think the larger tyres will be a problem in that instance, but my question is: how do people find the 265's on steep descents, especially those in the VIC high country? (eg: descending tracks such as Zeka Spur, Billy Goat Bluff, King Spur, Hearne Spur, Wombat Range track - those type of descents)
Based on the short drives that I have done low 2nd needs a fair bit of dabbing/feathering the brakes to keep the speed down on moderately steeps tracks and low 1st works too well on the same sections.
Don't want to get these tyres and then spend every steep descent standing on the brakes, especially with mud/snow on the tracks.
Many thanks
Adam
alpine triton

Re: Effect of larger tyres on low range in MN tritons

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 am

Like all Mitsubishis the Triton has a 1.9:1 low range.

There are replacement gears available for the transfer case which will change this and the effect is quite dramatic, both uphill and down, by reports from members here who have them.

Are they necessary? I've done plenty of steep tracks and I have the V6, so nowhere near the engine braking of the diesel and I run 265/70 ATs or 265/75 MTs. Yes, you do have to dab the brakes but it is a technique thing and if, as you say, 1st low works "too well", then I'd suggest that might be the gear you need with the bigger tyres.

Frankly, I've found the benefits of 265s far outweigh the disadvantages and I wouldn't hesitate to put them on again.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby alpine triton on Mon May 27, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks for the reply Chris, it was along the lines of what I was thinking - low 1st with the 265's would still give a fair bit of engine braking without having to use excessive braking to curb the speed of the descent.
Plus the extra inch clearance couldn't hurt ;)
Adam
alpine triton

Postby SmithyXRT on Mon May 27, 2013 10:00 am

I have 285/75/16 and engine braking down hill is no problem.
SmithyXRT

Postby TUFF TROOP on Mon May 27, 2013 10:38 am

I have fitted the low range 3:15 reduction gears in my ml glxr and running 34" tyres. Down hill in 2nd I have to just keep lightly on the throttle to keep it at a medium decent. Well worth the money and easy to install , Don't have to touch the brakes at all.

I'm going back to the same places in high country as I did when I had 265/75/16s and std hearing next week so I will be able to compare them.
TUFF TROOP

Postby gpx on Mon May 27, 2013 1:45 pm

I have 265/75s Cooper STmax on the standard rims. For me the Triton was over geared to begin with so the larger tyres - for me - made a small problem worse. For example a hill start under full load requires a fair bit of cluctch and reves. But I fully agree that the advantages of a larger tyre outweigh the disadvantages. I am in the Snowy Mountains too and in deep snow the larger tyre is a big advantage.
gpx

Postby alpine triton on Mon May 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas, looking forward to getting some muddies on the bus before winter really kicks in :D
Adam
alpine triton

Postby viking shippy on Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 pm

gpx wrote:I have 265/75s Cooper STmax on the standard rims. For me the Triton was over geared to begin with so the larger tyres - for me - made a small problem worse. For example a hill start under full load requires a fair bit of cluctch and reves. But I fully agree that the advantages of a larger tyre outweigh the disadvantages. I am in the Snowy Mountains too and in deep snow the larger tyre is a big advantage.

The two wheel drive low range mod might interest you...
viking shippy

Postby fridgie on Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 pm

gpx wrote:I have 265/75s Cooper STmax on the standard rims. For me the Triton was over geared to begin with so the larger tyres - for me - made a small problem worse. For example a hill start under full load requires a fair bit of cluctch and reves. But I fully agree that the advantages of a larger tyre outweigh the disadvantages. I am in the Snowy Mountains too and in deep snow the larger tyre is a big advantage.

Are you talking in low range or 2wd?? :?

I know I have the superior ML :twisted: :lol: :lol: but have never needed to rev it much to get going no matter what incline I'm on in low range......
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby viking shippy on Wed May 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Oops
viking shippy

Return to Tyres & Wheels