Biggest tyres on standard wheels - Mn

Need something to get you rolling?

Biggest tyres on standard wheels - Mn

Postby chickencake on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Just wondering whats the biggest tyre that can be ran on the standard mn glx-r wheels/car -being the 17" alloy rim.

From what I’ve been able to find a lot of people are running 265/70/17's, however im wondering if it would be possible to squeeze a set of 285/70/17's on the standard rim, with standard suspension.

If they won’t fit, what’s the reason? What do the foul on and what would be a realistic solution to overcome this issue.
Would getting a different offset rim be the answer? Or adding hub spacers? Im guessing a lift kit would sort the issue out however i can only really afford to either do tyres or suspension at this point in time.

The tyres total height from the wheel offset calculator is as follows.

285/70/17 - are 832mm high, 285mm wide
265/70/17 - are 804mm high, 265mm wide
245/65/17 - are 750mm high, 245mm wide

Quite a large difference in tyre size so im guessing it will be getting bloody close to various suspension components, however the 245/65/17s that are on it now look tiny!
Planning on running summit mud hogs, which I’ve been able to find for $250 fitted for the 285's which seems pretty reasonable.

As far as legality is concerned it’s not a great worry of mine, i understand the potential ramifications.

I have searched and spent more time then i should have reading other threads on this forum!
Pictures suggestions would be appreciated thanks!
chickencake

Return to Tyres & Wheels