Mounting options for 33" spare

Need something to get you rolling?

Mounting options for 33" spare

Postby johny5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:19 am

Ive recently put 33's on the Triton for functional use not just for looks hence I want to have a 33" spare but can not have a tail gate mounted option of roof mounted option due to living in the city. From a few measurements there is no chance to fit the 33 in the under body spare mount. What are some common methods that you guys running 33's use to have your spare onboard still?
johny5
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Mounting options for 33" spare

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 am

Will it fit if you redirect the last section of your tailpipe?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby johny5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:32 am

Already have a custom tail pipe that clears ok. It is more the issue between the diff and tow bar. As well as rear suspension being close as well. I can not get anyone to do a dummy fit for me to 100% check as they don't want to waste their time. I have measured it up and it doesn't look to promising so I was just wondering what other guys have found trying to fit it or finding another way to mount the spare and not turn the rear tray into a spare tyre holder.
johny5
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah fair enough. I can fit a 32 inch spare in there but it is very close to the spring hanger on the poassenger side and the exhaust on the other. I've never had it come too close to the towbar though, although I am running an ARB rear bar rather than a factory job which might partially explain that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 am

he has a ML so a shorter tub/ rear bar

I have seen the 33" tyre tucked up there, but if you have those above limitations I think your "combination" of accessories won't allow any option under the tray.

I know in my case it is the diff, so I spaced it rearward- but you do not have that option, might be an excuse for a ARB bar, or look at getting the mounts (or different) towbar moved

nothing easy though I'm afraid
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 am

Ah yes, the shorter tray would make life harder, not sure why I didn't think of that.

I wonder if you could install an angled piece under the tray somehow so that the spare sits nose down bum up? And whether that would give the extra length needed.

Cowboy Dave

Re: Mounting options for 33

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:54 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Ah yes, the shorter tray would make life harder, not sure why I didn't think of that.

I wonder if you could install an angled piece under the tray somehow so that the spare sits nose down bum up? And whether that would give the extra length needed.

G'day C.D, did you modify your exhaust tail pipe at all to fit the 32, if not any heat issues with the spare?

Cheers, Dave
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:18 pm

No I didn't modify it. I tend to only fit that spare when going on trips (muddies as play tyres). I found that if I cranked the winder up til it was almost tight, then push the tyres as far left as it would go without touching the spring hanger, then crank it up tight it would sit a little off centre. I know that doesn't sound possible but it did seem to sit that way for some reason. I haven't detected any heat impacts on the spare as yet although I have seen others with tailpipes that sat closer than mine (especially with the larger 3 inch pipes).

If I was permanently running those bigger sizes I would move the pipe I think.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Duck on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Can you mount it onto the hard cover ?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:No I didn't modify it. I tend to only fit that spare when going on trips (muddies as play tyres). I found that if I cranked the winder up til it was almost tight, then push the tyres as far left as it would go without touching the spring hanger, then crank it up tight it would sit a little off centre. I know that doesn't sound possible but it did seem to sit that way for some reason. I haven't detected any heat impacts on the spare as yet although I have seen others with tailpipes that sat closer than mine (especially with the larger 3 inch pipes).

If I was permanently running those bigger sizes I would move the pipe I think.

Cheers, I'm thinking of getting the tail pipe modified, just seems a little close for comfort with the 32, so haven't mounted it in the spare well as yet, and didn't want to wreck / dis-figure a brand new 32.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mickkk on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 pm

I have a ml, with Tjm rear bar, I have the muffler deleat with a rear bend so exhaust finished just behind rear diff and points down to the ground. I have a 285 75 16 tucked up there no worries. Mine are after market alloys so I had to make a little adaptor plate as the hub hole is larger, this helps to hold the tyre off centre, can just slide it over on plate a little.
I do have a steel tray, but that wouldn't affect things as far as I know.
mickkk

Postby dinos4x4 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I have a 33 just fits underneath
dinos4x4

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:10 pm

explorer.dave wrote:Cheers, I'm thinking of getting the tail pipe modified, just seems a little close for comfort with the 32, so haven't mounted it in the spare well as yet, and didn't want to wreck / dis-figure a brand new 32.

Maybe put a thin plate of something as a heatshield in the meantime? Might be easier than bending the pipe.

Cowboy Dave

Postby johny5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Duck wrote:Can you mount it onto the hard cover ?

Duck: this is the main idea I am leaning towards but I can not find anywhere or anyone that has a rack mounting system to suit a tonneau cover. I was even prepared to get a new hard cover as the factory one has a gentle curve in it and isn't incredibly sturdy as well as the fact that the struts probably wouldn't hold up with a 33's weight. But it would be the ideal situation.
johny5
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johny5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:34 pm

Did you find deflating it any benefit to getting it under there? How does it go with your exhaust?
johny5
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:49 pm

johny5 wrote:

Duck: this is the main idea I am leaning towards but I can not find anywhere or anyone that has a rack mounting system to suit a tonneau cover. I was even prepared to get a new hard cover as the factory one has a gentle curve in it and isn't incredibly sturdy as well as the fact that the struts probably wouldn't hold up with a 33's weight. But it would be the ideal situation.

Salt has done this with his factory hard lid without a rack, straight on the lid I believe.
Pretty sure he upgraded his struts though. Check out his build thread. Looks pretty tough too. 8-)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby johny5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:18 pm

mattz wrote:
johny5 wrote:

Now I just have to find out how the hell he did it?
johny5
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:32 pm

johny5 wrote:
Now I just have to find out how the hell he did it?

This would be the place to start:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5837#p93512

Cowboy Dave

Postby Jflow78 on Wed May 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey guys,

Any more answers to this issue?? I have just put 285/70/70 - 33's on my 2014 Triton and also got a spare which I new would be tight but not this tight.
The tyre is almost on the exhaust and also the passenger side suspension not to mention the rear diff...
I assume I can mod the exhaust to make more clearance and then push the wheel over more so it clears the suspension.. Just worried about the rear diff etc.
I guess I could get the 33 off and get a 32 on that would get me out of trouble but rather keep the brand new 33 on there. Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers
Jflow78

Postby Bazzer87 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:04 am

Jflow78 wrote:Hey guys,

Any more answers to this issue?? I have just put 285/70/70 - 33's on my 2014 Triton and also got a spare which I new would be tight but not this tight.
The tyre is almost on the exhaust and also the passenger side suspension not to mention the rear diff...
I assume I can mod the exhaust to make more clearance and then push the wheel over more so it clears the suspension.. Just worried about the rear diff etc.
I guess I could get the 33 off and get a 32 on that would get me out of trouble but rather keep the brand new 33 on there. Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers

Jflow - the 33 will fit underneath if you slightly modify the exhaust. I cut and then turned it onto a different angle before re-welding. However I ended up with some burn marks on the spare still. I purchased some heat wrap from eBay to wrap around the exhaust and haven't had any issues since.
As I have an alloy underneath I wrap the chain around one of the spokes (as opposed to the center hole) and this allows me to offset it to the side I need to clear diff etc.
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Return to Tyres & Wheels