Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:36 pm

mIwoo wrote:y the ltz?

Because there are a few members on here that have tested them and in every instance they came up similar performance on road to the D694 (which is sensational) and have better off road performance.

Coopers tyres can be very hit and miss on performance on road (wet weather) and I wouldn't swap to one without a very good review from a few people I trusted.

I would have the LTZ Zeons on now if they were available in QLD when I tried to buy them. :roll:

As it is, I now have a spare set of MT's so I don't need the off road performance so much, therefore (I personally think) the D694's are the best road going AT on the market so I'll stick to them.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fridgie on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:56 pm

I agree with homer :shock:

Would never buy a tyre going off a suppliers comments, would only go on recommendations of people I trust ;)

I have (well, Kwyjibo has them atm) the 694's and cannot fault them on road, awesome tyre in that regard ;)

Off road, they struggle a bit more than SOME at's once it gets a bit muddy but I can live with that. They got me through everything I expected and some things I didn't but they are only an AT after all.

I also now run my bighorns fulltime and although a great tyre, I feel the 694's are far stronger in construction... Just no where near the bighorns in the mud :twisted:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby coxy47 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I used to run the Cooper AT3's and thought they were a fantastic tyre. Great on and off road but off course they werent any comparison to a muddy. Im pretty sure Tony is also running at3's and i believe he is quite happy with them.

That being said though if you arent looking at doing much heavy offroad work i would probably lean towards the D694's mainly due to cost difference. Ive seen the bridgestones far cheaper then the AT3s
coxy47

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:30 pm

+1 on the D694's. I've had Coopers before (3 sets) and BFG's plus various others. Rated the Coopers as the best AT until I got the D694's. Even in mud they still perform well and fantastic on road. A few on here have had the LTZ's and rated them quite highly but I can't think of any who have backed up for a second set. Big plus with Coopers is their long life - never had less than 120,000km out of them and IMHO that makes them good value, even if expensive up front.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mIwoo on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:00 am

news!

i cant get the LTZ on a 16 inch rim- so thats them gone!

I spoke to a dealer today- cant order in the bridgie 694's anymore- he can get me the 697 however! I havent seen any reviews of it yet.... :? Whats more- he told me that customers are specifically ordering whats left of the 694's and that consequently is putting up their prices for them! dealer = thieving ****s (good business sense but).

I've decided that I like the slightly more open tread of the AT3 compared to the 694.

I've came to decision- if I can get hold of some D694's in LT 265/70R16 i'll compare the prices to the AT3- which is pretty much $330 ea wherever i call. And then do the bargaining.

Cheers guys.

Going camping at copeton dam this weekend for easter- bring it on!! yyeeewwwwwwww!!!!
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 am

I got a brand new 694 two weeks ago to replace a bald one. I'm surprised they aren't around....

That was from a Goodyear tyre place too...not Bridgestone.

I also found that 5 or 6 phone calls generally found significant savings in quoted prices... good luck mate :)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby boatpc on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:15 am

Tube v Tubeless
I would like the option of the tyre guru's on the above subject.
I guess I'm asking is there any problem running tubed tyres on a standard 16*6 glx rim.
Would there be any potential problems.
My reason for this is to run Telstra tyres
7.50 16
boatpc

Random tyre questions

Postby dan.batto on Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

I cant seem to find a thread that states what torque you set your steel wheels to. I'm looking at purchasing some of those torsion wrench bars for the air rattle gun. Before I purchase I want to make sure they go to the right torque. Also might as well find out what torque you go to for the stock alloys,
Any help/direction would be awesome!
Thanks
dan.batto

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed May 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Correct torque settings are:

Steel: 147Nm +/- 10Nm

Alloy: 128Nm +/- 9Nm
Chris

NowForThe5th

Random tyre questions

Postby dan.batto on Wed May 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks 5th, that's some very useful info!!
dan.batto

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks Dan for using the random tyre questions thread. Such an under-used thread. :D
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

can i fit 285/75 r16's??

Postby ado88 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 am

hey i have a dual cab mn GLR with a 2" ultimate suspsension kit, im currently running good wrangler mtr's in a 265/75 r16. with the lift they fit beautifully, they fitted without a lift, so i was wondering how i can fit a 285, if its possible. im running the GLR factory alloys powdercoated black, do i need to change the rims to fit or is it just not possible without a body lift?? can someone give me some advice and point me in the right direction, cheers adon
ado88

Postby daryn on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:00 pm

ado, your post is now here.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby dan.batto on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Thanks Dan for using the random tyre questions thread. Such an under-used thread. :D

:lol: :lol: its all in the search mate ;) :lol:
dan.batto

Re: can i fit 285/75 r16's??

Postby JamoGLXR on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm

ado88 wrote:hey i have a dual cab mn GLR with a 2" ultimate suspsension kit, im currently running good wrangler mtr's in a 265/75 r16. with the lift they fit beautifully, they fitted without a lift, so i was wondering how i can fit a 285, if its possible. im running the GLR factory alloys powdercoated black, do i need to change the rims to fit or is it just not possible without a body lift?? can someone give me some advice and point me in the right direction, cheers adon

pretty sure its doable with 2" lift, some trimming of the front mudflap is required i think.

check the mounting width, i think std Alloys are 7.5" and the consensus is 265 is about the limit for that width. im sure someone out there would he running 285's on std rims but id be looking at 16x8 rims to be safer.

another thing to consider is that 13mm of clearance of the diffs worth throwing your gearing ratio's i think you end up 1.6% over what the speedo shows and low range crawling becomes a bit quick.. unless you slap in some reduction gearing

but yes doable
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Random tyre questions

Postby motoz on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:20 am

I've been running 285's for a while though have just bought 265's.

For the extra bit of dif clearance I can honestly say its not worth all the negatives associated with it.

It takes longer to start, stop and turn with the 33"s. You use more fuel, depending on offset you need to do some body trimming and at the end of the day there illegal to run without getting it engineered.

Just my thoughts.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Cheapest / best performing tyre

Postby Deeno on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Ehat is the cheapest and Best performing tyre on the market for the triton and with my ironman 2" what am I best to fit (size-brand-cheapest)
Deeno

Re: Cheapest / best performing tyre

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Cheapest and best performing would be mutually exclusive I would have thought.

Also depends very much on what you're going to do with it and your question tells us nothing about that.

Federal Couragias would be about as cheap as I would go but they're an offroad/mud tyre and might be completely crap for on road driving in the long term.

D694s or their replacements are pretty popular for onroad performance but they aren't particularly cheap. You should really read through the tyre survey thread and the tyre prices thread before asking such an open ended question.

I'm going to move this thread into the random tyre questions thread where it belongs.

As I said in your other new thread this afternoon, please take the time to learn how to use the thread - even questions like this one have been asked and answered before.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Deeno on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Well let's say I go 4x4ing often but also do a Lot off road and traveling I'm just chasing a tire that I will get a fair few km's out of them
Deeno

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Posts moved into random tyre questions thread.

Have a look in here for everyone's views on a variety of tyres http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1002

Do you go off road on the beach, desert, rocky stuff, mud? Did you have a budget in mind? Any performance mods apart from the ironman lift? Whereabouts are you located (since some people know of cheap tyre deals around the place)?

Cowboy Dave

Postby fridgie on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Deeno wrote:Well let's say I go 4x4ing often but also do a Lot off road and traveling I'm just chasing a tire that I will get a fair few km's out of them

Go the simex's mate, great tyre offroad and good value ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Deeno wrote:Ehat is the cheapest and Best performing tyre on the market for the triton and with my ironman 2" what am I best to fit (size-brand-cheapest)

Deeno, as CD says your criteria are mutually exclusive. If you want good performance and long life then you just have to pay more up front. However, by paying more at purchase time you will actually save yourself money in the long run.

Let me give you an example or two. I've had 4WDs for the last 18 years and I've tried a variety of tyres. Factory issue, of course, and I've never managed more than about 50,000km out of these (Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone). Most times, when they've worn out, I've replaced with Coopers and once with BFG. The BFGs ((road tyres, not AT's) were crap. Terrible grip and wore out very quickly. The Coopers, however, lasted in every single case, more than 120,000km and in each case there was more than 5mm tread left when I sold the vehicles. That's not just once. Three times! I do look after my tyres. Watch pressures, keep up with wheel alignments and rotate regularly.

So, let's have a look at this from a value point of view. Let's say that a cheap tyre will cost you $220 each while a tyre like the Cooper will be $350. Big difference, $650, in purchase price. But, the cheap ones will probably last you 50,000km. $1100/50,000=$0.022 per kilometre. The better quality tyres though, for me, worked out at $1750/120,000=$0.0146 per kilometre. That's 34% cheaper than the "cheap" tyres.

In addition, I had good wet and dry grip and very few punctures. For the factory tyres and others I've tried because someone I thought knew what they were talking about told me "try these great tyres" I had wear problems, balance problems, numerous punctures and diabolical wet grip in two cases.

If you're serious about safety and long term value then I'd strongly recommend that you stay right away from the bottom end of the market. They're cheap for a reason and Coopers are more expensive for a reason. You won't get an 80,000km warranty with the $220 specials. In fact you might not get any warranty at all.

So good tyres that are good value? Cooper A/T3, 90,000km warranty in 265 width. Cooper S/T MAXX, 80,000km warranty. Bridgestone D694 or D697. All in LT construction. There's lots of others and this post will likely bring a flurry of conflicting experiences but, a warranty is a warranty and you don't have to do much to keep in valid.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Random tyre questions

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Pirelli skorpion (?sp) won the 4wdaction comparo last time I think. Also tony had some geolanders on the other day that ran okay.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Scorpions, rubbish. Geaolanders, great sand tyre in AT format
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Help New to the site

Postby Gardell on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi All,

I have a stock 07 GL-R dual cab - Looking at changing the tyres to Maxxis bighorns and was wondering if a 245/75/R16 will fit on my factory 16" alloys rims.

Thanks in advance for any help you can gve me.

Cheers

Dan
See you on the Track sometime

Cheers

Dan
Gardell

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels