Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Help New to the site

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Yes they will fit. Next time this sort of question should go in the random tyre questions thread created for just such an occasion. These two posts will be moved there shortly.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby c-dale on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Has anyone tried the Kelly Safari TSR's? Tempted to give them a go once the Bighorn's ware out but cant find many reviews of them.

Click to view larger picture
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Im thinking of getting a set tomoro pending price
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby glxrboy on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:26 am

They might be alright new but who knows how they will be when they start to wear out
glxrboy

Postby Raz89 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm

C-Dale

Both my old man and my brother-in-law have the Kelly TSR tyres (one on a colorado and the other on an MN Triton) and they are both extremely happy with them. Especially for the price that they paid. Both are in 245/75R16 size and my brother-in-law is onto his second set. In comparison with other brands I only have a few sets of tyres to compare them to. I have had Mickey T ATZs in 265/75R16 and the TSRs (notably in 245s compared to 265s) were the same if not quieter per kilometer driven. As new the Kellys were on par but by the end of the tyre life the Kellys were possibly a tiny bit quieter. When comparing to my current Goodyear Wrangler Kevlars (265s) my tyres brand new were a bit louder than the TSRs, nothing to phone home over though, but now with the same k's on them, my dad's TSRs are heaps quieter. Also compared to my dad's first set of tyres (can't remember the name off the top of my head but I will think of it) they were absolute trash. Looked good when new but wore ridiculously quick and were super loud. They were actually more expensive to replace than TSRs so definitely not worth it.

One thing to mention is that both of the Kelly's have barely ever been hard offroading (mostly normal farm driving, so mud, gravel and the like at worst) whereas my Kevlars have some decent chips and uneven wear on them from offroad. I think that my B-I-Ls first set of TSRs got almost 65k out of them before his ute was written off and he got new TSRs fitted when they replaced it. They were still good but probably for another 10k I would assume. Which is awesome mileage/$ and I may even look at getting a set of TSRs for my next tyres once my Kevlars wear down.

The one time both myself and dad were 4WDing together my Kevlars were definetely better in thick mud and cleared out better and they definitely had more grip everywhere. If I had to pay the $400/tyre asking price and I didn't get them for $300 each due to a 4 for 3 goodyear tyre deal I would have been extremely annoyed at how well the TSRs performed for a cheap tyre.

This is only my experience with them. I haven't driven on them day to day and am only comparing them to what I have witnessed, so take this with a grain of salt if you want a dedicated tyre review not just a quick comparison.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I have the TSR's mate, They are a great tyre, and i paid $365 fitted and balanced - thats for 265/70R17's so far im very happy with them, coming from MTZ's that could not be balanced!!!! I have done 8000kms so far and no sign of feathering at all... very impressed atm!!! Ill give them ago again for sure...
ML-VR08

Postby c-dale on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Cheers Raz89 :D
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mjrstar on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:09 am

I thought I'd try my luck here, I am looking to upsize the sidewall on my 09 2wd triton, currently is has 275 45 20's, with a 20P offset wheel. they don't ride brilliantly given the reasonably skinny sidewalls...

I have eyeballed a set of 295 50 20's which look like a pretty tight squeeze, can anyone tell me if this size is likely to fit without a lift? I can get a set of these pretty cheap.

current size 275 45-20 Overall Diameter: 29.74 in
possible size 295 50-20 Overall Diameter: 31.61 in

Also where is the first place I am likely to experience rub?
Cheers
Matt
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
04 Turbo airtrek (outlander)
96 Lancer evolution 4.
79 Toyota starlet race car.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 am

mjrstar wrote:I thought I'd try my luck here, I am looking to upsize the sidewall on my 09 2wd triton, currently is has 275 45 20's, with a 20P offset wheel. they don't ride brilliantly given the reasonably skinny sidewalls...

I have eyeballed a set of 295 50 20's which look like a pretty tight squeeze, can anyone tell me if this size is likely to fit without a lift? I can get a set of these pretty cheap.

current size 275 45-20 Overall Diameter: 29.74 in
possible size 295 50-20 Overall Diameter: 31.61 in

Also where is the first place I am likely to experience rub?
Cheers
Matt

bit unsure on the 2wd side of things (lower standard height/ ride than the 4wd?)
but everything you have +20 offset and around 32" tyres should make it fit nicely- if it was a 4x4.

should only rub on the plastic inner guards, if at all on full lock. :?:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby mjrstar on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I saw a 4x4 Triton drive past my window today, it didn't look to be much higher (if any) than mine.

On my ute the measurement from the centre of the front hub to the under side of the flare is 21 inches - or just over 53cm's in the new money, does anyone have a non lifted example and a tape measure to help out?

Cheers
Matt
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
96 Lancer evolution 4.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Cowboy Dave

Postby mjrstar on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 pm

thought I might follow this up.

I can confirm that 295 50 20's on 20x8.5 at 22P offset fit my ute with the front mud-flaps removed.

i ended up with some Nitto 420s for $1050 fitted and balanced

Click to view larger picture
Current steeds:
09 GLXR double cab.
96 Lancer evolution 4.
71 Austin mini.
mjrstar

Postby aids84 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Anyone had any experience with "Hercules" tyres?

http://www.herculestire.com/

They are a Canadian brand and seem to get a lot of use on the big SUV's/trucks they get over there.

I can get their "Terra Trac a/t" in 265/70R16 for $185 f&b each. Seems cheap, maybe worth a try or maybe worth spending a bit more on another brand.....
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Also being marketed by Ironman as a M/T.

Have a look here (note the star ratings).

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Hercules-Terra-Trac-MT-Tire.htm
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Crawf on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Can anyone tell me if they have been able to come up with a way to fit a 33' spare underneath the tray on an MN GLXR. The tyre will fit if I trim the exhaust back out of the way, but I also need to offset it towards the back, away from the diff as it currently rests against it if I try to put it underneath. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Crawf
Crawf

Postby ag9111 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Deflate it
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crawf on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:41 pm

So it will fit if its deflated? Might have to invest in an air compressor then as well.
Crawf

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

ag9111 wrote:Deflate it

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cruel bugger.

Crawf wrote:So it will fit if its deflated? Might have to invest in an air compressor then as well.

No, and no 12 volt compressor will be able to seat the bead.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Crawf on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
ag9111 wrote:Deflate it

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cruel bugger.

Crawf wrote:So it will fit if its deflated? Might have to invest in an air compressor then as well.

No, and no 12 volt compressor will be able to seat the bead.

:o Thanks for the heads up.

I'll have to look at what I can do about offsetting where it sits when wound up underneath.

Any tips welcome. Cheers.
Crawf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:25 pm

I have a set of muddies in a 32" and it's fairly close with the standard exhaust. I find myself kicking it a little to the driver's side to keep it from fouling the spring hanger or whatever you call it on the passenger side. The other thing I find is that it sits on the diff if I wind it up in my garage which has a slope. If I do it on flat ground it sits a bit better.

I suppose the other thing to consider is actually strapping it a bit further back with something else. A couple of ratchet straps or something might get you a better position if you could do it properly.

Probably easier to put a little extra bend in the tail pipe though.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Crawf on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I have a set of muddies in a 32" and it's fairly close with the standard exhaust. I find myself kicking it a little to the driver's side to keep it from fouling the spring hanger or whatever you call it on the passenger side. The other thing I find is that it sits on the diff if I wind it up in my garage which has a slope. If I do it on flat ground it sits a bit better.

I suppose the other thing to consider is actually strapping it a bit further back with something else. A couple of ratchet straps or something might get you a better position if you could do it properly.

Probably easier to put a little extra bend in the tail pipe though.

Thanks Dave, hadn't thought of the simple idea of just using a strap to pull it back from the diff. Kept thinking i had to coe up wirh some sort of offset bracket, but the strap idea should work fine. As for the tail pipe, I worked out I can cut the last 300mm off the pipe and this will give me enough room to move the tyre back towards the drivers side and away from the passenger spring hanger.
Crawf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Cutting the end off the pipe may give you legality issues. It's supposed to run a certain distance back from the nearest opening window so you'd need to make sure of that clearance first.

If looking for something to run a strap to - there are 3 screws on each side of the tub towards the rear. They go into captive nuts underneath. You could maybe whack an eyebolt or a turnbuckle or something through one of those from underneath on each side to give you something neat to hook onto. It may be just as easy to run to one of the cross members, just struggling to recall what else is under there at the moment.

Cowboy Dave

Postby dirtpilot72 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:32 pm

aids84 wrote:Anyone had any experience with "Hercules" tyres?

http://www.herculestire.com/

They are a Canadian brand and seem to get a lot of use on the big SUV's/trucks they get over there.

I can get their "Terra Trac a/t" in 265/70R16 for $185 f&b each. Seems cheap, maybe worth a try or maybe worth spending a bit more on another brand.....

I have them on at the moment in 255x70x16. Check my posts in Tyre survey. So far so good.
dirtpilot72

Postby tritonmal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Thinking of changing the standard cheese cutters as nearly used up. Goodyear duratrek or coopers stt??? Opinions ???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 pm

My random question is does anybody see a problem running different wall ply thicknesses?

I currently run 8 ply bighorns and will soon be ready for my 2nd set. I still have the spare which is new and also picked up another new tyre but is a 10 ply. My intention was to just get 1 more of each and run them opposite each other.

I'm certain no issues will arise from this but just checking ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels