Random tyre questions

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: 32" Muddies on a stock MN Triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm

265/70/17 will put an MN's speedo as accurate as you're going to get it IMHO.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Hymie on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:265/70/17 will put an MN's speedo as accurate as you're going to get it IMHO.

Or to put it a better way, it will back the speedo more accurate then standard (speedo is about 8-10% out as standard)
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm

I liked it the way I said it.

:? :roll: :cry:

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I like CD's explanation

But it will put your odometer out by roughly 6-7%
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Random tyre questions

Postby DocBassett on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 pm

badenglxr wrote:Just a quick question lads been hunting and can't find my answer. I'm wondering if I put on 285/75/16 on the mn glxr 2.5 Manuel, will it loose much power low end? As in if upgrade to this size will I need to upgrade the clutch? Or will a chip and or exhaust take care of the issue sum what?

Cheers :)

Hey mate, I have just thrown 285/75/16's on mine. I went with steel rims too, so it's now pretty gutless!!!!! I was never intending to get a chip, but looks like now I might need to!. drove it 1600km+ on the weekend on the highway and it was a nightmare over taking. Forget it if you live in the city. Also, the breaks may need to be upgraded. I'm going to test the car out bush in the next few weeks and if the size upgrade hasn't improved the performance much I'll downgrade again :(
DocBassett

Postby mattz on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 pm

DocBassett wrote:
badenglxr wrote:Just a quick question lads been hunting and can't find my answer. I'm wondering if I put on 285/75/16 on the mn glxr 2.5 Manuel, will it loose much power low end? As in if upgrade to this size will I need to upgrade the clutch? Or will a chip and or exhaust take care of the issue sum what?

Cheers :)

Hey mate, I have just thrown 285/75/16's on mine. I went with steel rims too, so it's now pretty gutless!!!!! I was never intending to get a chip, but looks like now I might need to!. drove it 1600km+ on the weekend on the highway and it was a nightmare over taking. Forget it if you live in the city. Also, the breaks may need to be upgraded. I'm going to test the car out bush in the next few weeks and if the size upgrade hasn't improved the performance much I'll downgrade again :(

Braided brake lines will make a fair bit of difference to your braking ability ;)
Might be worth doing this first if you haven't already.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby DocBassett on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 pm

cheers Mattz. Is this an expensive mod? and is it an easy DIY or mechanic job??
DocBassett

Postby wake jake on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 pm

DocBassett wrote:cheers Mattz. Is this an expensive mod? and is it an easy DIY or mechanic job??

Pricing from Ultimate for the extended brakelines when I got mine 8 weeks ago (with 10% forum discount):

Front Braided Brake Lines- 2 x $95 =$190
Rear Braided Brake Lines- 2 x $79 =$158
Total= $348

I just got my mechanic to do when he put my lift in as you have to bleed the brakes.
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby fraz91 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 pm

I would definitely get a mechanic to fit the braided brake lines unless you've had experience doing that sort of thing before. Bleeding the brakes on the Triton can be a little difficult at times. As you can imagine, not having brakes can make things a little hairy :shock:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby har05l on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm

And the abs doesn't help the matter, mine still aren't 100%
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm

cheers guys!!!! no brakes sounds like a challenge. I'm always into that. Well that might be the next mod then. Will have to do some research as I have no idea what braided brake lines are or what they do etc etc.
DocBassett

Postby mattz on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 am

Have a look at this thread........
viewtopic.php?t=7820
It's got some good info on the braided brake lines.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mIwoo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Im thinking about going from 31" muddies (maxxis 764) to 32" all terrains (thinking maybe MT STZ or Cooper AT3)... has anyone done this? I know- most go from 31" AT's to 32" MT's. I'm doing this as I don't need muddies all the time and am after a better all round vehicle.... and if i need more traction when I've got the AT's the 32's will allow me more surface area to apply traction to (airing down). If some one has done this how did it affect your power and fuel economy? Im hoping that the increased road traction, decreased resistance and less weight with the AT's might help with the fuel and power factor and hoping that maybe power and fuel economy might stay relatively the same comparing the two. For those who have done it how did you find the transition? Cheers.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby motoz on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 pm

You'll love it. Get some Goodyear Duratracs. There a great hoop.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby t_j_g on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 am

Hey guys,
I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask a question. I'm looking at getting some new tyres as the stock ones have bit the dust. Just wondering if any one can comment, the current tyres are 245/65/17, will going up to a 265/65/17 have a substantial effect on fuel consumption?
Sticking to the 245's I would go a Bridgestone d697, but if I went up to the 265 I would go either a Cooper or Mickey Thompson.
What I'm really looking for is a tyre that can handle a lot of K's, as it spends 98% of its time on the tarmac. So I'm happy to spend more now and get good mileage out of them.
t_j_g

Postby hvac guy on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 pm

so ladies and gents the time has come for new rubber for the tri what i would like is a deep tread and hi km tyre. im old school when it comes to tyres so i would like a 31x10.5r17 but i would like to keep the same od size as stock as mine is auto and i dont want it to effect economy with the larger od.

these will be day tyres as i will be going to a 16 inch rim for the trip tyres :twisted:

i have just started looking so yet to catch up on lingo :?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm

31x10.5 R17 is roughly a 265/65R17 (same size tyre as the challenger from factory). If you want to run the same OD as standard for day-to-day with the extra width, you'll need to look for a 265/60R17 which has a slightly smaller sidewall profile than the 265/65. That being said, the triton auto will turn the 31's without too much fuss. ;)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby hvac guy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Cheers thinking of bridgestone d697 in 265/65/17
Just git to find the right price.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I was running 265/65/17 A/T's with absolute no dramas at all. Drove like a standard car. I only changed to get bigger tyres.
DocBassett

Postby Mongrel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:10 pm

All this tyre talk is doing my head in.

So... can someone please set the record straight for me.

I called Coopers and they told me that the tyre for my ute was an AT3 265x65x17. However, I jumped on the Cooper's site and when I select the Triton that size doesn't come up.

My head hurts!!
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby mattz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Your triton will have a "tyre placard" on it. (Its a sticker In the door jam I think)
This is the size mits designed the triton for.
You can alter the size depending on your state regulations.....this will alter things like gearing and fuel economy.
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:27 pm

And the size quoted is an ideal size but you'd have to check local rules on legality. I run that size in a d694 and have done for ages.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Mongrel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm

OK... So I did that, and although I consider myself a pretty switched on guy, I can't for the life of me work out all the numbers.

I have never really known what the numbers on tyres mean exactly.

I have looked through the Doco, and there is plenty of talk for NSW on Wheel sizes, but not on tyres. Only max load etc.

Here is the info...

Tyres
The tyre and rim industry sets standards for the correct combinations of wheels and tyres. If you are in doubt as to which tyres are acceptable alternatives for your car, ask your tyre dealer to check for you. The tyres you fit must correctly match your car’s wheels. If the wheels are listed on your car’s tyre placard or in the owners handbook then the tyres you fit must be those listed on the placard or in the handbook for these wheels. Don’t mix tyre types or sizes if you can possibly avoid this. Never mix radials with cross-ply tyres on one axle. If you have only two radials, they must be on the rear wheels. Always make sure that both front tyres and both back tyres are the same.

That's it!

I have checked the Placard and Wheels are not mentioned. The handbook is in the truck with my Mrs right now, so I can't check that.

Your thoughts?
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby har05l on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm

I just looked at my tyre placard mongrel and below is what it states, drivers side b pillar

245 65r/17
111S RF
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:56 pm

If tyre size is 265/65/17 then 265 is the width in mm and 65 is the side wall height which is a percentage of tyre width. So 65% of 265mm is the sidewall measurement and 17 is the rim size in inches.

Where U got watch is rim width as this will determine the max tyre width that will fit that size rim.
I'm sure I have read it some where on the site before. Re rim size too tyre ratio.

Hope I've helped in some way i have just got my head around it of late.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels