Aggressive Stance

Need something to get you rolling?

Aggressive Stance

Postby EvanP246 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting a set of Pro Comp Series 52/152 wheels for my ML.

Here in Barbados we have no laws pertaining to how you modify your vehicle, thus I want my truck to be sitting like an angry steroid fed pitbull.

My question is, what offset and what rim width would give me roughly 1" to 2" of tire sticking out of the fender without major rubbing issues?

Thanks in advance!

Evan
EvanP246

Re: Aggressive Stance

Postby Homer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Depends if you have a lift or not. With around 2" lift you can run 265/75 16" tyres (32") on zero offset to get what you are looking for. They just rub on the inner corner of the mud flap at 100% lock...just.

Will look like this:
Click to view larger picture
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Aggressive Stance

Postby fridgie on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Send a pm to Kwyjibo mate ;)

He's running some pretty wide tyres and looks mean as :twisted:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Homer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:02 pm

He has major rubbing issues though....as do I when I see his wheels :oops: :lol:

He is running 33's on 16's with zero offset and a 2" lift from memory - but had to grind away some of the inside corner of the inner guard..
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: You maniac! I love it 8-)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trickydevil on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Homer wrote:He has major rubbing issues though....as do I when I see his wheels :oops: :lol:

Your a funny man..... :twisted:
trickydevil

Postby EvanP246 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

:lol: Thanks for the help guys. The stance is fairly....erotic.
My truck is 100% stock right now, so no lift. Could I run the 0 offset wheels with 265/70/16 tires at the stock height for now?

I'm trying to space out my spending, so the lift will come later on. For this build i'm focusing on on-road performance, would a lift sacrifice my handling due to the higher centre of gravity?

Also, what width wheel should I run? I was looking at the 0 offset 16 x 8 but they offer a 16 x 10 too! :twisted:
EvanP246

Postby Greedy on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 pm

EvanP246 wrote:I'm trying to space out my spending, so the lift will come later on. For this build i'm focusing on on-road performance, would a lift sacrifice my handling due to the higher centre of gravity?

I'm not sure what your standard suspension is like but the general consensus here is the standard is crap and a lift kit will only improve handling. That's what I found anyway.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Go wider than 0 offset with 265/70/16 (+10 or more)

But use an light alloy, so you don't load up everything with too much weight.
jop

Postby EvanP246 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Greedy wrote:
EvanP246 wrote:I'm trying to space out my spending, so the lift will come later on. For this build i'm focusing on on-road performance, would a lift sacrifice my handling due to the higher centre of gravity?

I'm not sure what your standard suspension is like but the general consensus here is the standard is crap and a lift kit will only improve handling. That's what I found anyway.

Okay got it. Any Suggestions on the kit with best value for price?

jop wrote:Go wider than 0 offset with 265/70/16 (+10 or more)

But use an light alloy, so you don't load up everything with too much weight.

Here are a list of the wheels I'm looking at, which one would you think would give me the most aggressive stance on the stock ride height and 265/70/16?

http://www.procompusa.com/productlist.aspx?plid=100347&catid=11&subcat=209&ptid=100021&Diameter_PQ=16.00&Bolt+Pattern_PQ=6+on+5.5#filter_qualifier
EvanP246

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:12 pm

They all show up with a 5 stud bolt pattern, do they also come in 6 stud?

Ultimate (a forum sponsor) can usually ship a suspension kit to you. Very popular with members here. It is what I have 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby EvanP246 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:They all show up with a 5 stud bolt pattern, do they also come in 6 stud?

Ultimate (a forum sponsor) can usually ship a suspension kit to you. Very popular with members here. It is what I have 8-)

The pictures displayed are 5 stud but I have the 6 stud version selected. :?

I'll check Ultimate out!
EvanP246

Postby dadz on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:25 am

how aggressive of lift and stance do you need maybe i can help you im from Thailand.................with 3 inch lift i have used a -5 that put out the tires about 1 1/2 inch out with 285/75 R16 tires. But for standard maybe you can put 275 with -10 offset.

Some pitbull stance to guide you though all have 6 to 7 inch lift.................

And this is mine with only 285 tires and -5 offset..........

Hope this can inspire you to modify your truck..................
Visit us:
www.triton4x4club.com - Thailand Club
www.stradaclubph.com - Philippine Club
dadz

Postby EvanP246 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:31 am

Woah! :o Those trucks are beastly! I'm not looking for anything that extreme. For the moment I want to know what width and offset 16" wheel will give me the most aggressive stance possible on standard ride height.

In a few months I will purchase a 2" lift kit and go to larger/wider/more aggressive wheels and tires.

But for now... most aggressive on stock ride height... I have a set of 265/70/16s in my garage now so I was hoping to use those for the time being.

Awesome truck by the way 8-)
EvanP246

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 am

These are the 33" tyres on zero offset I spoke about - photos courtesy of Kwyjibo ;)
The size of these is 33" or 305/70/16 on great looking Mickey Thompson alloys at zero offset.
They definitely require guard trimming though and that's with the lift - the lift will improve your on road performance remarkably (significantly safer than the standard rubbish) - make sure you PM Ultimate though as a properly sorted and balanced setup makes a huge difference. They regularly ship overseas...or maybe I will have to bring them over for you :mrgreen: :lol:

The photos don't do Kwyjibos car justice - just as my pic above doesn't do mine justice either.
Zero offset and decent wide tyres look tuff...I receive regular comments when I have these on (daily) and kwyjibo gets stopped in the street 8-) You are right though...the difference is in the offset as if mine were in under the guards they wouldn't get a second look....

Prepare for your car to be forever dirty though...

Jop certainly knows his stuff on wheels and tyres (he is the original tyre whore after all ;) ) so his recommendation of up to +10 sounds good with 265/70/16's because with my 265/75/16's they only barely touch at full lock.
But as mentioned for every day driving you will want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 am

Homer wrote:kwyjibo gets stopped in the street 8-)

Yeah, by the cops. "Nice tyres son. That will $100" :lol: :lol: True story.

Believe it or not, the smaller tyres are 265/75/16 :shock:

kwyjibo's truck looks seriously tough in the flesh 8-)
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby motoz on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:49 am

I think someone needs a wide flare kit... lol

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 am

Homer wrote:Jop certainly knows his stuff on wheels and tyres (he is the original tyre whore after all ;) ) so his recommendation of up to +10 sounds good with 265/70/16's because with my 265/75/16's they only barely touch at full lock.
But as mentioned for every day driving you will want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Jop shouldn't post after finishing work at 10:30 :oops:

I meant to say -10 offset

Diameter of 265/75 = 803
Diameter of 265/70 = 777
jop

Postby EvanP246 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:51 am

Homer wrote:These are the 33" tyres on zero offset I spoke about - photos courtesy of Kwyjibo ;)
The size of these is 33" or 305/70/16 on great looking Mickey Thompson alloys at zero offset.
They definitely require guard trimming though and that's with the lift - the lift will improve your on road performance remarkably (significantly safer than the standard rubbish) - make sure you PM Ultimate though as a properly sorted and balanced setup makes a huge difference. They regularly ship overseas...or maybe I will have to bring them over for you :mrgreen: :lol:

The photos don't do Kwyjibos car justice - just as my pic above doesn't do mine justice either.
Zero offset and decent wide tyres look tuff...I receive regular comments when I have these on (daily) and kwyjibo gets stopped in the street 8-) You are right though...the difference is in the offset as if mine were in under the guards they wouldn't get a second look....

Prepare for your car to be forever dirty though...

Jop certainly knows his stuff on wheels and tyres (he is the original tyre whore after all ;) ) so his recommendation of up to +10 sounds good with 265/70/16's because with my 265/75/16's they only barely touch at full lock.

Wow man, those tires and wheels look wicked. I'm currently selling some parts I had in my garage and basement to make put towards the lift kit. (sell parts for more parts- story of my life) :lol:

I cant wait til I get my truck looking as tuff as y'alls. I don't think there are many Tritons here that have very aggressive stance... most guys have on ugly "bling" rims.... :roll: So I'm sure I'll be turning some heads...even more so when i get my lift, chip, exhaust, big turbo etc. :twisted:

Come visit any time man! Just that it's literally halfway around the world but that's a small issue. It's worth the trip. :)

jop wrote:
Homer wrote:Jop certainly knows his stuff on wheels and tyres (he is the original tyre whore after all ;) ) so his recommendation of up to +10 sounds good with 265/70/16's because with my 265/75/16's they only barely touch at full lock.

Jop shouldn't post after finishing work at 10:30 :oops:

I meant to say -10 offset

Diameter of 265/75 = 803
Diameter of 265/70 = 777

Hi Jop! Yeh I figured it was a typo or something, no problem boss.

Now i have to decide whether to run 16x8 or 16x10. I know that the 8" will be lighter but the 10" might look better.

What do you think?
EvanP246

Postby kwyjibo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:49 pm

i don't have much more to add but may i also recommend alloy rims, with alloy rims my fat 33's (16x8)are far lighter than the 32's were on steel rims, less weight to spin round so less stress on parts? no? :lol: :roll: well at least they're easier to lug around by hand so thats enough for me :lol:
kwyjibo

Postby EvanP246 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:37 pm

kwyjibo wrote:i don't have much more to add but may i also recommend alloy rims, with alloy rims my fat 33's (16x8)are far lighter than the 32's were on steel rims, less weight to spin round so less stress on parts? no? :lol: :roll: well at least they're easier to lug around by hand so thats enough for me :lol:

Very true man, the steel ones I was looking at were 17kg each. Pretty heavy if you ask me.

I've decided on these bad boys here. They weigh in at 14kg each and I think they look a little better. Theyre -11 16x8. :twisted:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xtreme-Alloys-Series-8069-Black-Finish.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pl=5451&t_pn=PXA8069-6883
EvanP246

Postby Joe on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:31 am

Nice 8-)
Dad
----
Joe

Postby danmcccc on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 pm

it says those rims arent hub centric, is that a problem on tritons, coz i know it is on luxs
i drive a HILUX, i win
danmcccc

Postby Joe on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:12 am

danmcccc wrote:it says those rims arent hub centric, is that a problem on tritons, coz i know it is on luxs

There has been a fair bit of discussion on here about this dan. It seems that it is OK to run non-hubcentric rims.

Check out >THIS< thread, particularly 4wd26's last post
Dad
----
Joe

Aggressive Stance

Postby CALMAN09GLXR on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:32 pm

I tried an individual 285/75r17 BF goodrich km2 the other day it looked hectic but when turning the front only misses the guard inside the front wheel arch by a couple mm's. I have a 2" suspension lift. Just worried about scrubbing in front. Pretty sure this tyre is classed as 33
CALMAN09GLXR

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels