Which Tyre pressure do you run

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Which Tyre pressure do you run

Postby Cage on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Upped to 38psi all round and no longer have the feeling the sidewall is flexing.

Oh, and I'm running 265/75R16's.

And I'm thinking about going to 8" rims. Think I have almost got the offset and track regs sorted.
Cage

Postby deermaster on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 am

subi_man wrote:mid-30's here - 40psi would shake the fillings out of my teeth!!!

Yes that was my problem, too much pressure and they were too rough. Put 40 all round for a big trip and it wore the centres on my tyres. From now on I run 265x70s at 35lbs all round and if I put a big load in the back might up them to 38psi and they are wearing great, no real evident wear after twenty thousand Ks :D
deermaster

Postby sonoflil on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi all tyre pressures are a fikle thing but what one must remember the sellers of any product need you to come back the sooner the better just like sheep at the abbitiors when it comes down to it it is what the consumer demands through knowledge and just pure smarts low pressure means comfort but also means heat which degrates the composition of the rubber compound for my mony a bit harsher ride makes the last longer also feel more positive with every day, driving until off road when pounds per square inch on the surface contact takes over which really varies due too tread coarsness as to also the lowering of pressures for other reasons sand rock shale and all other surface WHAT a minefield only common sense will prevail good luck PS please excuse spelling and punctuation.
sonoflil

Postby Hondon on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

so what psi should I run in my bfg at's on the black top for tyre preservation sony???
Hondon

Postby JeffH on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Semt an email to dick cepek the other day, looking for baseline pressures. Tech guy came back with.... Run what ever the vehicle manufaturer suggests. For an unladen load with a max of 3 passangers, the placard suggests 29psi front and back. Anyone subscribe to this as a starting point?
JeffH

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 pm

For me that's too soft. All the tyre guys seem to use 40 so I start there and drop til comfort is better but not too soft. I carry lots in the tub so that ends up being 36-38 depending on tyres. For long highway runs I will sometimes go up to 40 again
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels