Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Yeah, ok. Forum search engines are notoriously weak. But there are ways around their limitations.

Nick, if you read the How to Search link in Homer's signature, above, you'll find lots of tips.

Here are three more:
1. Don't use Google. NewTriton is a closed forum in as much that access is limited to registered members. Google can only get to the Members Sheds, not the actual forums. It is OK if you're looking for a member who might have a specific accessory but you're dependent on that member putting details in his shed and keeping them up to date. The vast majority of members, especially newer ones, don't bother doing this.

2. Use phrases. Note that in my earlier post I linked to a search where I used the term "sax suspension". That will not only find instances of the phrase, but also instances of the individual words. Gets around the 3 letter word limitation. Note my use of quotation marks.

3. Using the + and - signs, like you might on Google or Ebay has mixed results, usually returning either nothing or about a zillion hits, each equally useless. You would have returned over 10,000 matches for the words +sax suspension but I got that down to less than 50 which is much more manageable.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby dunney on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Are coil over suspension legal in all states with out engineering. If not then anything more than 2" will be two instant issues....if you care are being legal that is
dunney

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:26 pm

will anyone with a triton give us a test car!!! You all cant keep asking and then not hand over a car!! We can do it! Also we have extended ball joints coming soon!!! Will be $150 pr!!!
20th Sept

Peformance Suspension

Surely someone in Brisbane can donate the Triton for testing.
mitzikatzi

Postby JeffH on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Guys just wondering if you might be able to shed a little light on this for me. I'm on OEM suspension ( ultimate kit a couple of weeks away from delivery 8-) ) and I'm experiencing a frightening change in direction from where the nose is pointing when I hit bumps like old railway crossings at speed, not by a great deal, but enough to raise the heart rate a touch. Had the front end checked out last week during a service and the mech didn't find anything out of the ordinary, lower arms, tie rods etc (I did say though don't worry about the suspension as a new kit is on order). Do you think it could be the OEM shocks having no guts left? Feels like the springs are doing all the work Done close to 100k.

Cheers,

Jeff
JeffH

Postby Naff on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm surprised they lasted that long to be perfectly honest.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:11 am

My truck doing same thing mate---- shocks stuffed, have been since around the 60 k mark, but scary from about the 65 k mark. Dealer should replace front shocks for you under warranty, well they did for me!
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

HOW LONG SHOULD LEAF SPRINGS LAST WITH STANDARD MITSUBISHI S

Postby tritonliz on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:07 pm

I went to pick up my truck from the 4WD service place after having new front discs and pads fitted today.

He showed me how my leaf springs were sitting at the rear and explained that they should have a downward curve and mine are actually past flat and verging on an upward curve, basically bottomed out. That is why it has been feeling springy. He reckons shocks etc should be changed over pretty quickly after buying Triton,especially as off roading as he said standards are not designed to take weight of canopies, rear bars etc. My question is why do Mitsubishi not put that as an advisory when it went for a major service only 2 months ago, useless idiots. They are quite happy to advise me on windscreen wipers that don't need replacing at every service!
How long should they last, my truck has done 67,000k.
Anyway I have already got the quote from Ultimate suspension so I had better get the deposit down for fitting, ouch, nice just before xmas.
tritonliz

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Moved your post in here, Liz. Good housekeeping and all that. ;)

The front coils in my Triton lasted less than 2000km, the rear leaves 8000km. If you've done 67,000km then you've done well. When the leaves flatten out like yours you'll notice a harsh, choppy ride in the rear because the suspension is sitting on the helper leaves that normally only come into play when you're fully loaded. Probably combined with some floatiness from the shocks no longer working and exacerbated by more floatiness at the front.

When you get the Ultimate suspension you will really notice a big difference.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby TritonNick on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi guys,
I got a 2inch Sax Suspension lift installed in Wednesday aswell as bull bar, rear bar, and a few other things. They did a wheel alignment on the day, I picked it up and drive home and it was pulling to the left. I rang and the took it today and redid the wheel alignment and informed me that it's still pulling left and to drive for 1000kms then come back and they'll see if they can adjust it more. My question is, how bad is this going to be for the tyres and has anyone else had this issue after a lift?
TritonNick

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:39 pm

I can't say I've had that problem - although I have had it come back from bad alignments with the steering wheel crooked. I would imagine it is going to be putting sideways pressure on your front tyres if you have to hold it straight when it tries to wander left.

As much as it will annoy you, if it was me I would take it somewhere I knew did good alignments and get a second opinion or second alignment. They're pretty cheap (I think I paid $60 for my last one) and you'll sleep easier than you will if you keep driving it like that for another 1,000km.

I have heard that the tritons can be a bit tricky to align if you're not on top of your game. I seem to remember someone from ultimate had to trot down to their local tyre joint and read them the riot act at one stage as they weren't getting them right.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ultimate on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

I have heard that the tritons can be a bit tricky to align if you're not on top of your game. I seem to remember someone from ultimate had to trot down to their local tyre joint and read them the riot act at one stage as they weren't getting them right.

Gotta keep 'em honest ;)

Depending on the height, you can start to run out of adjustment on the Triton. This may be the case with your vehicle. They are probably hoping it settles a bit so they have more adjustment at the 1,000km check. Do you know what height you are sitting at? (measured from centre of wheel to the guard).
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby TritonNick on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 pm

ultimate wrote:

Gotta keep 'em honest ;)

Depending on the height, you can start to run out of adjustment on the Triton. This may be the case with your vehicle. They are probably hoping it settles a bit so they have more adjustment at the 1,000km check. Do you know what height you are sitting at? (measured from centre of wheel to the guard).

I havnt measured it but they mentioned today that raised it 70mm so it was level with the back, back was raised 45mm, and they said over the next 1000kms they hope to see it drop 10-15mm.
TritonNick

Postby ultimate on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 pm

I wouldn't be suprised if it's too high in the front. You should always have the front around 40mm lower than the rear when empty.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby TritonNick on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:51 am

I thought it sounded a bit high. Looks like I'm in for an interesting conversation then!
TritonNick

Postby mattz on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:13 am

Chances are if its to high you'll be sitting on your bump stops and it'll create other problems long term too.
As ultimate said.......measure your suspension height and well soon know if it's to high.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby TritonNick on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:47 pm

ultimate wrote:

Gotta keep 'em honest ;)

Finally got the measurements off the triton. Bit surprised how high the front is actually. Do you normally lift it that high if there is a bullbar fitted?
FR. 604
FL. 601
RR. 598
RL. 612
TritonNick

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Yeah that looks a bit high. Hopefully it will settle a bit.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mitzikatzi on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Even if it settles 10 to 15mm on the front . 590mm is still on the bump stops in my experience.
mitzikatzi

Postby JakeMN on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:38 am

Dunno if I'll have much luck with this question, but do any of you happen to know what the spring constant / damper coefficient is for the standard suspension for the MN manual dual cab 4x4? I wouldn't imagine this information would be advertised so thought I'd have a shot in the dark to see if anyone knew or knew how I could find out. Thanks.
Regards,
Jake.
JakeMN

Re: Suspension swap DIY

Postby triton_guru on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:34 pm

anyone have any idea which leaf to take out front constant load leafs mine are dobinson and i have removed alot of the weight from the back of the car now and the ride is very harsh. cheers
triton_guru

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Guru, your post really wasn't relevant to the tech topic in which it was posted so has been moved here.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby fraz91 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 pm

triton_guru wrote:anyone have any idea which leaf to take out front constant load leafs mine are dobinson and i have removed alot of the weight from the back of the car now and the ride is very harsh. cheers

Do you know what the part number is on the leaves? Alternatively, post a photo taken from the rear of the vehicle, looking forward along the leaf. Either myself or Brendan (ultimate) should be able to help then ;)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Dans Tri on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey guys a quick question. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the leaf spring location bolt to line up with Axel?
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:17 pm

You mean this one?

Click to view larger picture

Just fits in the hole in the fitting on the axle.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Dans Tri on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah we have done both ends of the springs and the that pin is about 10mm out
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension