upper ball joint wear in front suspension common?

upper ball joint wear in front suspension common?

Postby myself62 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Have had a clonking/rubbing noise behind the left front wheel for a while now, took the Triton (ml) for a Pedders inspection where they found the ball joints on the upper suspension arms worn (both sides) I was told that its very common in utes with a lift kit fitted although I have done 90+k and this is the first time I needed to replace them.
Has anyone have to replace them on a regular basic?
I had a chat with Ultimate Suspension, (who were very helpful) they will soon have a replacement aftermarket arm with an adjustable ball joint for the Triton. Pedders told me the same thing. This will apparently relieve the problem by taking away the extreme angle of the arm in relation to the ball joint.
Unfortunately I will be replacing just the ball joints tomorrow because I am heading to Fraser Island for Easter and didn't want to go with worn joints. Anyone contemplating replacing the upper arms?
Bruno.
myself62

Re: upper ball joint wear in front suspension common?

Postby Quinny on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Wasn't there a recall on the Ml ball joints ? - Although I seem to remember that was a bolt tension issue ...
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Re: upper ball joint wear in front suspension common?

Postby myself62 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Quinny you are right, that recall was to retention the bolts holding the ball joints. That wasn't a "replace" recall as the ball joints aren't an issue if the Triton isn't lifted.
Bruno.
myself62

Return to Suspension