Did Your Suspension Sag/Settle Much?

Did Your Suspension Sag/Settle Much?

Postby Eelesy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 am

I just would like to know how the different lifts have been holding up over time?

I have the ironman kit and the front springs have sagged/settled about 20mm on one side, 15mm the other. i have been told from ironman this is normal??
Kit was fitted in April and i hope this does not continue as i do not want problems with the 33's rubbing if the front gets any lower.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Re: Did Your Suspension Sag/Settle Much?

Postby Urshtnme on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:06 pm

man that's a lot of sag. That's like my OME's, god they're hopeless now!! I should've stuck with the stock suspension!
Urshtnme

Postby Eelesy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Yea thats what i thought. But i got in contact with Ironman and was told due to the IFS and ratios, this is expected??

this is a part of the email reply:

With an Independent Front Suspension vehicle, such as your Triton. The suspension design operates with a ratio effect and must be considered in any calculation. Due to the mounting point positions, and the fact of the control arms operating in a radial arc movement, means that this ratio is 1:2.

Meaning – for every 1mm movement at the spring, there is 2mm at the wheel.

All Coil Springs can and will settle approx 5-8mm (depending on size and spring rate). Meaning that if your springs have settled as per expectation, say 7mm. The effect at the wheel will be 14mm (Double). Also factor in some setting and compression of the lower strut bush, 2-3mm (+6mm at wheel). There is 20mm total.

Wouldve been nice to know before hand...
Do you think 10mm coil spacers would lift enough to replace height lost by the sag?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:26 pm

My pedders trak rider coils sagged alot more then the ironman coils try like 50mm they suck i have to run them in the highest postion on my bilstein struts to get 50mm lift. Not happy but will fix it soon.
GLX-RSilver

Postby Stu on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:48 pm

don't know if this is relevant but my oem front with 32 inch tyres, bullbar & winch sits about an inch lower than a stock 2wd on factory tyres. Thats a whole 2 1/2 inches if I'm correct? Factory tyres are 29" so I'm 1 1/2 inches higher with the tyres but am sitting an inch lower than factory. if I'm right here does that mean I would gain over 4" if I did a 2" lift on the front?
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Bartman on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi.
So it seems like it was a good idea to lift more ex. 50mm like dobi or Iron, to get at least 20mm lift after sagging ? Correct me if I'm wrong...:)Regards.
Bartman.
BTW. In Europe OME declares only 10mm of lift for their kits (springs and shocks)... while in AU you have your Tritons lifted more with OME kits, is it true?
Bartman

Postby King Triton on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 am

Spam!!!! :evil: :evil:
King Triton

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:21 pm

tritonstu wrote:don't know if this is relevant but my oem front with 32 inch tyres, bullbar & winch sits about an inch lower than a stock 2wd on factory tyres. Thats a whole 2 1/2 inches if I'm correct? Factory tyres are 29" so I'm 1 1/2 inches higher with the tyres but am sitting an inch lower than factory. if I'm right here does that mean I would gain over 4" if I did a 2" lift on the front?

With my sagged front Mitsu springs (515mm ride height) replaced with Dobinsons constant load springs and shocks(585mm ride height)......I got 70mm lift
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Eelesy on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 pm

I wanna get some opinions.

I have been in talks with a suspension manufacturer over the amount of sag i have experienced with my springs, about 20mm one side, 15mm the other, and they have come back with an answer that while replacing the springs is an option, they will most likely sag again. i have a steel bar on the front.

The second option i have is that will supply 10mm spacers to correct the sag but the spacers they have will not for my struts, as mine are the older model and non adjustable. solution is they will supply the spacers and i can pay half price for the newer adjustable struts, $165 for the pair. i assume they will foot the bill for the change over.

Does this sound like a deal as of course springs will sag and settle. should i pay the amount or press them and insist on having them replaced at thier full cost, as the springs did not hold up like they were supposed to and i was never told of possibe sagging issues?

any advice is appreciated
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:58 pm

This is just my opinion but it would depend on how it was sold to you or what you asked for. If you went to them and asked for a 2" lift then you should have the right to expect to get 2" and for that to stay within a reasonable tolerance. I would put "reasonable" at 5-10%. So a sag of 5mm would be acceptable. 20mm is 40% and that is certainly not acceptable in my book.

The same applies if you went in and said you wanted a lift and they told you that "this kit" will give you 2".

On the other hand, if you went in and just asked for a lift kit, they fitted this one and the result is you still have a higher than stock lift so they have no case to answer.

Was the bar on when you bought the springs? If so then they should have compensated for its' weight so that you still got 2". If you put the bar on later then they could, rightly, claim that you changed the parameters so any sag is not their problem.

Check their advertising and anything printed that they gave you (tax invoice, brochures etc.). If it says 2" and there is no mention, even in the fine print, of sag, then I think you'd have a case.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby daryn on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Good to be aware of all of this.

We also have this thread for logging of measurements as well:

Ride heights - http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=505 (I wish everyone would update this with their 6 month later run in figures)

Hopefully I will be able to report on Ultimate Suspension soon as will be doing their complete kit.

edit:
fixed link
Last edited by daryn on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Eelesy on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice 5th,

The steel bar was on it when it had the kit fitted, so i will dig up my invoice and see what it says.

If you read my 3rd post it contains a small section of the email i recieved in late December. in which they try to explain the 20mm.

I recall when shopping around the kit did come with the tag "50mm" or "2inch" lift, but in the catalouge it calls it the constant load kit.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Eelesy on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:26 pm

The replacement springs arrived today.

And the new discounted "height adjustable" struts.
I was advised that putting a 10mm spacer on top of the strut assembly was no good (even tho a few off here have them)

so they sold me a set of height adjustable struts.
height adjustable to me means a threaded body so they can easily be would up or down.

this is what i got though
Untitled.jpg

the silver bits under the spring base are the spacers and what they call "height adjustable"

maybe im not that clued in... but arnt these spacers the same as jamming ones on the top assembly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Return to Suspension