Replace suspension with standard height springs

Replace suspension with standard height springs

Postby Smokey5159 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

Hi all,
I have read the many suggestions re suspension upgrade for the (MN) Triton - but I don't think there are any suggestions for what I want/need. I actually don't want a height lift, but want my original leaf springs changed as they are more than likely shot.
I am the second owner of this 2011 MN - and I know the original owner (company car) used this vehicle over dirt roads in SA's southeast, and it's on to its 3rd set of shocks. I was fortunate enough to have the second pair of shocks (Pedders) replaced under their warranty just after I bought it, and they're only 12 months old, and they are fine - but I think I my leafs (originals) may have suffered because of the terrain they went over, and I would really like to upgrade them because of what I've read of the "quality" of the standard Mitsi rear leafs.
Here's the thing - I don't want to raise the height of the vehicle (in the rear) as I think they are already high enough and to me they look a little weird raised too high. At present I use the ute for towing my van and it sits level when attached. So I was wondering if any company sell non-raised leaf sets or only partially raised springs. All the sales sites I've looked at promote the 2-3 inch lifts, which will be way too high for my current set-up.
I'm guessing I'll get steered to Ultimate or another company - but I don't have the luxury here in Adelaide to visit many quality suspension fitters…
Cheers,
Smokey.
:D
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed to facilitate future searches
Smokey5159

Re: A lift to no heights..!

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:08 am

This question has cropped up fairly regularly and the simple answer is yes, it can be done.

Certainly Ultimate can do do it but most good suspension places would also be able to achieve the same. We tend to recommend Ultimate because they are a forum sponsor and have more experience with the Triton than anyone else. Monster Rides is another forum sponsor who may be able to help you.

I've changed to title of this thread to make future searches a bit easier.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Replace suspension with standard height springs

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:24 am

If you put your location in some-one may be able to recommend a local suspension fitter.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:26 am

Smokey5159 wrote:here in Adelaide
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby TheSaint on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:08 am

I'm in the same situation as you Smokey..

Looking to change springs/shocks but keep the standard height as I only really tow my boat that comes in around 1.5t mark..

I have found you can get a standard height Koni shocks in heavy duty which will help with the towing but can not find standard height springs/Leaf replacement.

Most of them are min of 1" or 2" lift..
TheSaint

Postby borngeek on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 am

Ultimate suspension can supply std height suspension kits.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:35 am

You will not find many options for standard height springs as it is virtually impossible to increase the rating of a spring without lifting the vehicle or compromising the ride quality.

We a range of standard height + springs which will hold the vehicle at standard height with accessories on the front or a load in the back. Without this extra weight, the vehicle will sit approximately 15-20mm higher than standard. This extra height gives you clearance between the first and second stage on the leaf spring which provides a comfortable ride. If the height was exactly standard height with a heavier spring, you would be constantly riding on the second stage (main load leaves) which would produce a jarring feeling from the rear.

If you don't have any accessories on the front, you are better off keeping the front springs. If you have a bullbar and want to stop the front sagging, I recommend Lovell's CFS-95 coils.

For the rear, we have a standard height heavy duty leaf spring UL115-2R. This has a stronger second stage than factory and provides a significant improvement to the load carry capacity. If you are a after a more comfortable spring without a huge height increase, we can do a custom spring with a stronger first stage and softer second stage).

Another alternative is to the fit the factory heavy duty leaf springs found on the single cabs, and most club cabs and some GLX dual cabs.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Return to Suspension