ULTIMATE SUSPENSION

Re: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Kegsy wrote:Your mechanic threw out a fully rebuildable strut? He is mad? :lol:

I through out 2 front bilstien struts that were rebuild able

Problem was the cost to rebuild was the same as a new bilstien strut (mine scored the shaft) bought a new strut and the other side scored the shaft 5,000 kms later (55 and 60 km they lasted)

Replaced both with ultimates (around the same cost as one billie) over 100,000 later and still going strong apart from bushes
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:08 pm

4wd26 wrote:
Kegsy wrote:Your mechanic threw out a fully rebuildable strut? He is mad? :lol:

I through out 2 front bilstien struts that were rebuild able

Problem was the cost to rebuild was the same as a new bilstien strut (mine scored the shaft) bought a new strut and the other side scored the shaft 5,000 kms later (55 and 60 km they lasted)

Replaced both with ultimates (around the same cost as one billie) over 100,000 later and still going strong apart from bushes

actually the worst part is they through out struts that were possibly still under warranty........
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Four of us on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:18 pm

I just spoke to Brendon about buying a set for the rear. I have been trying to decide if to go Ironman shocks or Ulitimate. Ulitmate seem to be the way to go.
Four of us

Postby aussie_power_sports on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Just a quick question for ml owners

Did you have to get extended brake likes for ultimate 2inch lift?
aussie_power_sports

Postby ultimate on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Depends on the shock length.

Our normal 2" shocks are 565mm open. This is the maximum length you can run without extending the brake lines. If you don't mind upgrading to extended brake lines, you can run a longer shock for more droop (595 open).
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby aussie_power_sports on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:56 pm

So will the longer shock will give me more travel or better dampening through having a larger oil capacity?
aussie_power_sports

Postby ultimate on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:12 pm

The longer shock gives more travel. Oil capacity is basically the same.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby dan_4818 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:02 pm

edit:nvm
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:20 am

Bumping this thread to advise that Ultimate have an offset bush for those of you running a lift and struggling to get a decent wheel alignment setting.

Brendan can advise of the details.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aussie_power_sports on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:03 am

Just fitted my 2 inch ultimate kit. Amazing difference the front is so much stiffer and is being held level. The rear is still a bit stiff but that will chance once I put and alloy tray and some toolboxes on it. Was pretty easy to do, we went the route of removing top control arms to do the front struts. Around 4.5hrs for the whole job.
aussie_power_sports

Postby Dellian on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:21 am

Novice question. How does Ultimate Suspension compare to ARB, TJM, Ironman, Opposite Lock ect?
Dellian

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:58 am

Better than the ones you've listed imo. ARB won't give you a full 2 inch lift. Ironman built to a price. Didn't even know OL were selling suspension kits now.

The reality is that ultimate saw the triton as an opportunity early on and put in more R&D than anyone and as a result has probably sold more triton setups than anyone else in the country.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dellian on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 am

Appreciate it Dave.
Dellian

Postby trouble on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:01 am

I have had ARB it was crap, I now have had Ultimate in for 5 years their gear is awesome!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Quinny on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks Brendan, bushes arrived today ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kingjw2001 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Do ultimate have any Western Australian distributes?
Kingjw2001

Postby revolutiontriton on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:45 pm

okay, here goes...
Im a little bit confused after reading (on and off) 15 pages of talk about shocks, springs, struts, and visiting various websites etc etc.
so just to clear a few things up i figure its just easier to ask the question

*Is there only ONE website for ultimate suspension? (ultimate suspension.com.au) did there used to be two and now theres one or???

*I thought i saw on their site at some stage that they offer packages with different brand springs, leaves, struts etc etc but now all i can see is the ultimate stuff??

*(if above is correct only) I've tried to keep track, but in your own opinion what percentage would you say the people you know with 'ultimate' have their brand of struts/springs? at a guess.
I'm not expecting everyone to repost what they have, just not sure when some people say i have ultimate, what they really mean. i.e ultimate struts and dobbs springs or....

I'm still doing my research and finding as with everything the more i do the harder it gets haha, just thinking if i can get some discussion going it might help save me some time!!

will definitely be contacting these guys soon to get the low down straight from the horses mouth, as being on this site it would be hard not to be swayed to go with them- so many good reviews!

do they offer any discounts for NTN members :D :D
revolutiontriton

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Only one website.
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au/

They will source what you need if their product can't meet your needs. They're hardly going to advertise their competitors gear though.

I guess that you have to understand that specifications for products like this are fluid, in the sense that they can change. Ultimate don't make their own coils, subcontracting that out to others who do and can produce a product that meets what Ultimate deem as the best to suit their customers needs. For most, the coils that are made by Lovells are able to match the vehicle, but there are some applications where this isn't the case. in my Triton I started off with the blue Lovells but, after a while found that they weren't doing what I wanted. Ultimate changed them over for another brand which worked very well. In the Pajero I couldn't be happier with the blue Lovells.

The essence here is that Ultimate have the flexibility to do what the customer needs rather than trying to foist on them something that may be unsuitable. Try getting that kind of service at ARB or Ironman.

Yes, there is a forum members discount.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby revolutiontriton on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Yeah okay cool. re struts I was thinking along the lines of, over the years the company has gotten to a position where that is now something they can do I house. I believe they form their own springs.

hmm, that rings a bell. I vaguely remember one of the guys saying their struts are made in Asia? I'm assuming there then branded ultimate upon arrival. Could be wrong, I have a shocking memory lol.

I'm still yet to fully understand how so many similar vehicles can need so many different setups, I've put new gear in other cars here and there but never a whole new sus setup. Apart from my old minitruck days.
I get that Joe might have an empty tray and tow a 2t trailer every second day and Bill never tows but carries 500kgs of tools around or this guys has a solid bar and winch and a light arse end etc etc, but without having been a passenger or driver in said cars it's hard to fully understand the differences! Guess that's what the call to the experts is for.

I have to say though it's impressive to see so many people give a product so many good reviews, search 'item xxxx review' and all you get is bad vibes. Everyone is so happy to rag out a product at the first chance but hardly ever report on a good experience!
I'm most definitely 99% sold on a full ultimate setup in the very near future, just hope I can get my springs custom colour coded :D can't wait to speak to the guys!
revolutiontriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:10 pm

Yeah they do custom colours. I'm aware of blokes who needed black to disguise the purchase from wives and I'm aware of another who wanted a particular colour because it looked better.

Everyone's needs are different. If you can give them a weight per corner loaded in the way it most often is that will help them advise you as well.

Cowboy Dave

Postby aybe on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Regarding a discount.For me recently they pre assembled the struts.And covered the postage.Approx.100kg
aybe

Postby revolutiontriton on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:23 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah they do custom colours. I'm aware of blokes who needed black to disguise the purchase from wives and I'm aware of another who wanted a particular colour because it looked better.

Hahahahaha,no way. Geez, poor bloke. I reckon I could paint mine high vis and the wife would be none the wiser!

Yeh that's not a bad discount, it just gets better and better doesn't it.
Only problem is I'm wanting to get the sus first then worry about other weight mods later. I'll be putting on an arb deluxe steel bar, winch and sliders either xrox or home made, and dual battery. The tub can get beaten up for the time being.

Call me crazy but surely a stiffer aftermarket set up would ride better than this oem crap, with the potential to become more supple with the extra mods. Ride height could be an issue but I'll have to speak to them about that.
revolutiontriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:09 am

They have a trick for that as I added my bar and winch afterwards too. I don't know the terminology but it's like a raised seat for the spring on the front strut - a bit like what the adjustable struts have only less adjustable.

Cowboy Dave

Postby revolutiontriton on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 am

Yeh I assumed it would be a case of taking out a load bearer leaf and something as you suggested for the front.
I've really had my heart set on some rancho gear for a while now esp their 9000xl Shock but if this stuff is as good as everyone says it is I'd much rather put my money into a local Aus business.
revolutiontriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:03 am

If you're dead keen on the rancho gear why not talk to Brendan at ultimate about that. He'll tell you straight if they're equal to the ultimate product or not, and may be able to match a set of springs around them. You never know if you never ask.

Similarly to what Chris reported above I have off-brand springs installed by ultimate in that they felt a particular Dobinson coil was best suited to what I had fitted to the car at the time.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension